What's new

English Teachers make as much as Doctors!?!

Elgin

先輩
23 Oct 2003
I looked at the past topics on English teachers in Japan. But I'm a little confused, I was watching TV yesterday and they said English teachers in Taiwan made as much as Doctors. And that's without any teaching degree. I don't know if there's such a big difference from Taiwan to Japan but after seeing a past post saying English teachers make 255 000 yen a month doesn't seem like a doctor's pay.

This is my little calculation I may be wrong since I'm not good at maths:

255 000Y = 3 230$Canadian

3 230 X 12 = 38 760$

Doctor's make 100 000$ a year so what's up?

In Japan, English teachers make nowhere near what doctors make.

I would be surprised if the same did not hold true for Taiwan as well. Are you sure they were dtalking about normal English teachers and not owners/CEO's of English conversation schools etc.?

As a foreign teacher in China, even if your base wage is only 3000 RMB per month, you are still making more than double the monthly wage of the average Chinese teacher working in the China education system - average wages in China are about 600-800 RMB per month. Plus you usually have your accommodation, health cover and flights paid for as well. And you work on average 15-20 classes per week. Combined with the low cost of living in China it is easy to make and save money teaching English.

However, saying outright that English teachers in Japan make as much as doctors is false, and thus leading to the old rule "Never believe what you see on TV" ;)

To me japan docs are earning more than english teachers since learning english is so common worldwide nowadays

Eternal Wind said:
To me japan docs are earning more than english teachers since learning english is so common worldwide nowadays
If you ask me, learning english isn't such a world wide thing. We still have people in our own country who can't speak english. I suppose for the majority of bigger economic and bigger internatiol political countries than yes.

I don't think english teachers would make that much anyways, when regular teachers don't even make that much. Every teacher would be scrambling for a english teaching job to foreigners

Yeah I was glad to meet and spend a bunch of time with some girls who were doing Nova in Japan, it was great because when we chilled they talked about how even though they get a free apartment etc.etc. the money hardly covers partying, having fun and they said shopping on their salary is like an impossibility,, another cool thing was that they told me I was smart for never wanting to do either JET/NOVA and that both girls couldn't wait to get back home and work regular jobs.

Josh

http://www.lovehotelling.com

nikki_the_insane said:
If you ask me, learning english isn't such a world wide thing. We still have people in our own country who can't speak english. I suppose for the majority of bigger economic and bigger internatiol political countries than yes.

I don't think english teachers would make that much anyways, when regular teachers don't even make that much. Every teacher would be scrambling for a english teaching job to foreigners
Well,what I was trying to say is that the earning is the same what every teachers earn worldwide 👍

Eternal Wind said:
Well,what I was trying to say is that the earning is the same what every teachers earn worldwide 👍

Okay, I didn't get what you said here. Sorry if I sound rude, just the way you wrote it... Hmmm, I believe you're saying that teachers worldwide are roughly paid the same amount. I suppose it all depends on their educational program and how much they spend on teachers for their countries education. Here in the U.S. I feel the problem with our educational funding is the fact that most of the money is misused and the money that doesn't even go to education that is suppose to is misused for things that are irrelevent and have no real purpose or aren't at a very high priority. They are always gripeing about educational funds here in Utah. :p

I'm so glad u understand what I meant and I am not sure about the education teachings in the US but I can see that its quite complicating and many politics.....

Eternal Wind said:
I'm so glad u understand what I meant and I am not sure about the education teachings in the US but I can see that its quite complicating and many politics.....

It isn't so much as it's complicated there's just people who like to gripe and complain that they don't get enough money for teaching. Then the teachers go out on strike and we have to miss a day of school and make it up during the summer. Though the teachers do have a right to complain. I think it was my Geometry teacher that pointer out that the teachers in my state haven't had a raise in about 6 years or so. :p

Back
Top Bottom