What's new

English Teacher in Japan

RekcorJ

後輩
16 Jun 2006
My goal is to be an English teacher in Japan.

I'm 14 years old and would want to know what can I do to be ready to be an ETJ(english teacher in Japan).

Right now I'm working for a Summer Daycare program.(i watch 6-13 year olds)
Would that help me in my goal?

And also what do i need to teach in Japan?

Working at a daycare is a good start. Things like camp counseling or working as a teaching assistant or resident advisor in college would help. Also, the college you attend and the grades you get while you're there make a difference.
Studying Japanese can improve your experience in Japan but it's not essential for getting an English Teaching position. Most of all, you need enthusiasm!

Well to meet visa requirements you need to complete college - really what you study and what work experience doesn't matter - teaching English in Japan does not require any experience or skills.

A college degree is the most important thing, but grades and experience help if you want to apply to the JET programme.

RekcorJ said:
My goal is to be an English teacher in Japan.
I'm 14 years old and would want to know what can I do to be ready to be an ETJ(english teacher in Japan).

Right now I'm working for a Summer Daycare program.(i watch 6-13 year olds)
Would that help me in my goal?

Anything that will help you develop perseverence and personal responsibility will help in anything you do in life, including teaching in Japan.

And also what do i need to teach in Japan?

A college degree in any major at all and a pulse. A neat personal appearance and a couple of neckties, and you're in like Flynn.

Mike said it all RekcorJ. Not much more to add except that you should have an excellent command of your vocabulary and grammar when speaking, and be able to speak in front of a goup without appearing nervous or breaking out in a sweat.

Pachipro said:
Mike said it all RekcorJ. Not much more to add except that you should have an excellent command of your vocabulary and grammar when speaking, and be able to speak in front of a goup without appearing nervous or breaking out in a sweat.

The reason for the ability to speak in front of a group is so you don't embarass your self. The reason for having the best command of vocabulary and grammar you can is so you don't have to feel like a total charlatan. (You'll meet plenty of English "teachers" in Japan with questionable command of vocab and grammar).

Back
Top Bottom