What's new

English Name And China

X-HUNTER

後輩
30 Oct 2003
Recently, i heard that White Australian sometimes use word CHINESE to describe Asian people (with Discrimination). I just wonder if it is fact chinese is a word which is negatively used to describe Asian people?

In addition to that, Nippon is same as JAPAN, right? So which one substitute JAPANESE?

P.S.

I don't mean to agitate anything here, just to justify and clarify something. Thank you.

🙂

That's weird. Why would they use Chinese to describe all Asian people in a discrimanatory way? Not all Asians are Chinese. Stupid racist... :D

chinese is used to describe people from china. with no negitivity attached to it. the people who use it in a discrimitory way probably have no idea if a person is chinese, japanese, vietnamese or thai nor do they care. just ignorant people

The problem stems from the myth that "all Asians look alike." Using the word "Chinese" to describe an Asian individual (at least for me) is offensive, because it means that all asians are the same and that it doesn't really matter where they are from... if you can't tell the difference, that's a totally different thing. But to use it in such a manor can be offensive for obvious reasons.

A lot of people say that here in America too, and it really pisses me off.:auch: I'm Cuban, and if some one called me, lets say Dominican (not that I have anything against Dominicans, just using an example)...I would get offended, only because who set the standard for how a Dominican or Cuban person looks like?:cautious: When I went to Japan, people there were offended if you called them Chinese, not 'cause they hate the Chinese, only 'cause the person who said it was being steryotipc.:box:

I expected this thread to be about how Chinese people often are given English names...

Actually i think they call all Asians Chinese in Australia because most of the Asians in Australia are Chinese and most Australians cant tell the difference between different Japanese, Chinese Malaysian ETC they usually just assume that an Asian person is chinese....thats just what i think..But lately alot of people have been mistaking Chinese as Japanese in Australia....some Australians have come up to me and spoke Japanese......????

Originally posted by X_ツケツキテ暗祇X~HUNTER
Recently, i heard that White Australian sometimes use word CHINESE to describe Asian people (with Discrimination). I just wonder if it is fact chinese is a word which is negatively used to describe Asian people?

That's ignorance (read: sterotyping) right there, and lack of respect. Of course it will happen. In that sense, it's like calling people of African descent "n*****s," any person of Asian descent "ch!nks," whites "honkies" ("haoles" in Hawaii)...

But then again, what may seem as discriminatory may actually be intended to be an endearment, so you never can tell... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom