What's new

End of Contract/Visa Panic

MrsPotato

Registered
30 Jun 2015
I apologise in advance if anything I'm asking has already been asked. I did spend a few hours poring over various Google results, and was getting answers to the wrong questions and a huge headache.

I've been working at a major eikaiwa school for a little over 10 months now. I had a decent experience with no real complaints about them. I'm starting to look at options to stay in the country another year. I pulled out my contract and unfortunately, I'm starting this process a little too late, as my contract states that I have to request a re-contract 60 days before my contract ends, and I'm out of that time period by just under a week.

First: I'm looking at other jobs to apply to. I understand that most eikaiwa schools are similar conditions, but I'm okay with that and wouldn't mind spending another year teaching English. I'm also aware my experience in one school won't necessarily help me get a job in another. My problem is that I don't see the option for Visa sponsorship that I saw while applying overseas; for most, all I see is that a valid working Visa is required. If I apply to these schools, is there a chance some of them would help me renew my working visa?

Second; I've also noticed that my contract ends the exact day my Visa does. Although my visa expiration date does fall on my "weekend", I'm worried about this in relation to finding a new job. Will my company keep me working up until that end date? Would that be an issue with finding another employer? I did read that I could get my Visa changed over to a tourist one while looking for a job, but I also read that it was a headache to change back. I also noticed some employers specifically ask for people not to apply with tourist visas.

Again, sorry if this has been posted before.

If you are OK with staying at your current job, why don't you go to your current employer and see if a contract extension is still an option? I wouldn't freak out because you missed a 60-day deadline by a few days. Its a minor oversight that they will happily overlook if you are doing a decent job. They would much rather extend a contract for a known, decent employee than go through the time-consuming and comparatively risky prospect of hiring a new person.
If I apply to these schools, is there a chance some of them would help me renew my working visa?
Absolutely.
Will my company keep me working up until that end date? Would that be an issue with finding another employer?
No way for us to know any of this, Mrs. Potato. But tackle one problem at a time. If you like your current employer, inquire about an extension. If they turn you down, start sending out the resumes and arranging for interviews elsewhere. No point in worrying about the logistics of it yet. Presumably you have a few days of vacation/holidays owed to you. Use these to apply for your extension if necessary. I think the immigration bureau allows you to stay in Japan while your visa renewal is under application, so there is no need to lose any sleep over this just yet.

Like Majestic wrote, I agree. If you're on relatively good terms with the employer, have a chat about staying longer. Open with an apology and a positive statement about your purpose.

Keep in mind that 60 days is arbitrarily chosen by your employer. And that after a year, he has the option of giving you only 30 days' notice if he ever wanted to let you go.

My problem is that I don't see the option for Visa sponsorship that I saw while applying overseas; for most, all I see is that a valid working Visa is required. If I apply to these schools, is there a chance some of them would help me renew my working visa?
A chance? Yes, sure. Look more closely at those job ads, because I'm willing to bet you'll find the ones who request that applicants need an existing work visa are not in the majority. A year of experience is not much, but it's better than pounding the pavement with none!

I've also noticed that my contract ends the exact day my Visa does. Although my visa expiration date does fall on my "weekend", I'm worried about this in relation to finding a new job. Will my company keep me working up until that end date?
His choice. Don't count on him being a sweetheart, and definitely don't wait until the last minute! If your current boss won't concede to keeping you, start looking now, and do the paperwork a month before you start that new job (or work out something with both employers).

Thank you so much for the replies. I've contacted my employer, and I've updated my resume just in case.

Back
Top Bottom