What's new

Embedding video in posts?

I have no idea if it would take more bandwidth, and why it isn't enabled.

Let me have a look true the admin section, and discuss it with Admin JP. Thanks for the suggestion Made of stone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response DB.

It's a nice little feature that some other vBulletin forums offer, much more user-friendly than clicking links to open vids on a separate page (as long as Jref's precious bandwidth isn't affected of course).

:)

<edit> In case it helps for having a search about, I believe the tags are [media] ones for embedding vids on vBulletin.

Thinking about it more with some of the topics that are dealt with a lot on here, I suppose graphically violent or otherwise unsettling videos might have to be explicitly not-allowed...?

I was thinking of entertainment or informational vids - travelogues, music, events, the odd 'funny' or two (hundred) :)

Actually informational vids about getting around in Japan, tourist sights, different kinds of restaurants would be a huge plus for the site I think. Here's one about that famous Hiroshimayaki shop on the beautiful Miyajima - oh my, has it been almost ten years since I was there?!

Thinking about it more with some of the topics that are dealt with a lot on here, I suppose graphically violent or otherwise unsettling videos might have to be explicitly not-allowed...?
That wouldn't really be a problem. Mods already deal with such things with images that are posted and inappropriate links. Plus there is also the report posts option for letting mods know that you find an image/link distasteful. The same can be done with embedded vids

No, it would not take anymore bandwidth then it does with any regular/average post.

You would be hot-linking, meaning that you use the bandwidth of the linked site. Same applies as posting images to an imagehost...same basics.

I was able to let it work with youtube only for now... but google video should work as well...

Still need to be discussed with the big man... whom is on a holiday right now.

Last edited:
Ya but?????????????????????

No, it would not take anymore bandwidth then it does with any regular/average post.

You would be hot-linking, meaning that you use the bandwidth of the linked site. Same applies as posting images to an imagehost...same basics.

Let's say we have a lot of videos to choose from after a while. Soooo, then on a busy JREF day with 400 people on-line, say 125 people are watching videos at the same time(I guess it could happen?). Wouldn't the servers have to be REAL busy with so much flowing through them at one time? I know with high speed cable, when I send a video though E-Mail , it takes about 1 minute to go out. It just seems like if several videos were downloading to JREF at the same time, it would have to slow things down on JREF servers??

Uncle Frank

:?😭

@Uncle Frank: Nopes, would not infect the server, since those videos would not be stored on the server and would go on the cost of Youtube and Google in this case.

The only thing it might affect when there are to many video's on one page is "your" browser or connection speed in order to buffer the streaming :)

And this option is available on many sites and in the beginning you might see some overdose of video's posted, but eventually when it's not that new anymore people won't bother with it that much anymore.

@made of stone: most likely like:

Youtube tags and then the number of the Youtube link in between

From you just take B6qFlks6Rig

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom