What's new

Electronic music in Japan

windcheater

後輩
30 Jul 2003
Hello everyone, Genki?

I just discovered these forums. They look good.

I am returning to Japan in a month for a few years and am interested to know more about the electronic music scene in Japan. Any recommendations?

I like all types of music, and I also produce my own stuff. I am wondering if there is any market for me in Japan, however small. I produce mainly breakbeat based tracks but would like to do some stuff with vocals in the future.

if you fancy having a listen to anything I have done, you can find stuff here

Funnily enough, one tune I have done using Japanese samples has been chosen to feature on a promotional site for the new Nokia phone here in Europe. whether it will be enjoyed is another matter....:)

Cheers

Well, the only sort of electronic Japanese music i've heard was from The Mad Capsule Markets. heh... thats the only one I know and can recommend. :D

Originally posted by Gaki
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, and the others already mentioned.

Ah! They are great... I've only heard one song by them and that was Early Riser which was in a advert in the UK for a sports drink :p

I need to find songs by them.....

/me sends his spies abroad

huuuu... those are pretty punk/rock related imo
you said breakbeat... hold on
edit: what about some of the compost artists/collaborators?
kyoto jazz massive
toshio matsuura (ufo)
yukuhiro foukutomi (misspelling jic)
___not under compost per se__
sunaga t experience
shinichi osawa

thanks for saying thanks!

no worries mate
http://www.japanforsale.net/
for checking out some of the other suggestions in this thread...

->to the same breath then, if I go to Japan, how can I find a good,deacent party of electronic music (I'm personally interested in electro, electroclash, techno,drum'n'bass...) ? Now I don't mean a regular disco with regular hit songs, no way...a party with some serious electronic stuff,but people with a good attitude.. :)

And anyways, how common it is to listen to electronic music in Japan? I've got some friends from there, and they don't know anything about the scene, and that really surprised me, I have to say. And then, I could use some names of good J-dj's..like Ken ishii ;)

Anything from Denki Groove is good.
Budd mentioned the Japan for Sale series which features former Denki Groove members Takkyu Ishino and Yoshinori Sunahara.

Furthermore you might like Gaball, which is a trance-unit featuring Globe frontman Tetsuya Komuro.
And do check out Joujouka, which is brilliant techno / trance from DJ Tsuyoshi.

And you might wanna dig into the past by listening to The Yellow Magic Orchestra and Logic System.

"if I go to Japan, how can I find a good, decent party of electronic music (I'm personally interested in electro, electroclash, techno, drum bass...)? Now I don't mean a regular disco with regular hit songs, no way...a party with some serious electronic stuff, but people with a good attitude.."
Arts and entertainment links

"And anyway, how common it is to listen to electronic music in Japan?"
I would say it's about the same as here. My friend larry heard says he's always amazed at the crowd's reaction... but then the people probably come from miles away (just like anywhere) -- they gotta represent!

"I've got some friends from there, and they don't know anything about the scene, and that really surprised me, I have to say."
it's just like the elec fans over there asking an average American? Recommending Brittany spears? Eminem? 50cent?

"And then, I could use some names of good J-DJ's..like Ken Ishii."
sunaga t, Ryuichi Sakamoto... edit: thanks to those for giving me credit! 👏

Does anyone know a Japanese electronic band doing stuff that's a bit like Shpongle? I know Shpongle is hard to beat and are called the Beatles of electronic music, but I don't mean a band that's better than them but have a style that is a bit the like... I love Shpongle 😄
they've such a relaxed electronic style with flutes and stuff, and the songs are each so different and unique :) on SHPONGLE | Music, you can listen to the party of their songs. they even have a gallery there because they're artists too... though they seem to be on drugs mostly when creating music and art (well, it sounds a bit that way, and the art looks that way), I guess most artists are/were that way... ah whatever, I just love their music, just listening to their song "and the day turned night" makes my skin creep :)

dou itashimashite!
also, nice link! the matador site over on the left should have some realplayer vids also available? check em out!
edit: this weekend i saw something by a dj hori on nite grooves, but i need to do more research...

Back
Top Bottom