What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Electronic Japanese - English dictionary

SEYZJP

先輩
Reaction score
Hi. I am going to Japan in 2010 and really need an electronic J-E Dict. On my last visit to Japan, I tried to buy one but every store only had them with Kanji. I cannot read Kanji, so I need one that is fit for English readers. Does anyone have any advice on where I can buy a good one and which brands/types/etc. are good?

Thanks a lot

inertia

Fleur
Reaction score
I recommend you get an ipod touch or iphone instead. I just got an ipod a couple of months ago and, after having installed some dictionary software, it's a million times better than the old electronic dictionaries I've used before. There are several dictionary applications available for the ipod and iphone, including this one which is targeted toward English-speaking students of Japanese:

JapaneseFrontend

There are also J/J dictionary applications which can be added easily and inexpensively when your Japanese improves, and phrasebook programs which take advantage of the device's audio capabilities.

Furthermore, you can use it as an ordinary portable music/video/game player when you get tired of studying and want to do something else. Some games are in Japanese, if you want to reinforce your study that way.

Alma

nature's sweet success
Reaction score
Electronic Dictionary question | Japan Forum - here you will find a lot of answers.

basically, electronic dictionaries are made for Japanese people to study English and other languages, so you will not find one suitable for English speakers. sorry.

as inertia said, something else might be better choice for now.

Top Bottom