What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Electronic dictionaries - avoid/recommend?

tonberry1

後輩
Reaction score
I have been studying Japanese for a while and now I'd need a Japanese dictionary. Because the printed dictionaries are rather large, I was thinking about buying an electronic one.

I guess there isn't just one model which everyone would recommend, and of course I can compare many of the models by myself, but are there some dictionaries which a non-japanese student should try to avoid, or are there perhaps some models which are recommended?

Especially I would like to know if there are any significant differencies in the kanji search and the jump feature? I would think that those two are the ones I'm mostly using.

tonberry1

後輩
Reaction score
I don't know which thread should I answer, but let's answer here. Uncle Frank bumped up few threads about the dictionaries and I found a few more by modifying the search terms I tried before starting this thread.

But I must wonder the lack of recent and useful information on these machines for English speakers. I couldn't find almost any with google, and only two threads from this forum.

In case someone else is interested (or reads this in future), here are the threads (can't post links).

Thread 25193 - Japanese Electronic Dictonary - Jul 27, 2006
Thread 18671 - Best Denshijisho - Aug 6, 2005

Last edited:
Top Bottom