What's new

Eikaiwa's in Northern Okinawa??

Masamune_74

先輩
3 Jun 2007
Throwing a line out there to any of you that may have some info. I am currently in Okinawa on a visitors visa. I have been in contact with some eikaiwa's here but havent had much success finding any that are located in the north, in the Nago/Onna area. Any help would be much appreciated.
:)

Yes I am on a visitors Visa, I am here with my fiance. I am wanting to come back later in the year so I am looking for opportunities while I am here. I should have been more descriptive, as usual.

Yes I am on a visitors Visa, I am here with my fiance. I am wanting to come back later in the year so I am looking for opportunities while I am here. I should have been more descriptive, as usual.

Well it helps to know ahead of time, when you return what will your visa be then? Or will you be under SOFA status?

Im not military, I will probably be working for Nova but the closest office they have is in Chattan...so I am looking for more for any other Eikaiwa's in northern part of Okinawa. Becaue my Fiance works in the public schools in Nago. we are planning to marry next summer or spring so then I wont have to worry about a visa, but for now I am looking for a place where I could get a work visa.

I have seen a couple of privately run eikaiwa's but can not remember ever seeing a NOVA up north here. The population on the northern end of the island is sparse and probably there are not enough people to justify opening one. However there is a possiblity that a NOVA kids exists within either the Nago JUSCO or San Ei department stores.

I will check and get back to you.

You know the other option you have is hanging out a sign and offering to teach privately. Since there aren't any schools "up there" you could find a market available for your services. I would just say that you should be prepared to work when your students are off and not when you want to be, meaning working nights, weekends, and holidays.

However the nice thing about private lessons is that you can adapt your schedule to your needs. Finding students though would pretty much be through word of mouth, if you have a decent plan, and fair prices, you should be able to pull it off. However dont expect to make the same kind of money per hour per student as one mught up in mainland Japan in places like Tokyo or Osaka.

Students here would probably be willing to pay about 10,000 to 15,000 per month for private lessons of anywhere between an hour to 90 minutes, once a week. Adjusted hourly to roughly 2,500 yen to 3,000 per hour.

There are also people, missionaries from somewhere, that give "free" lessons, in an attempt to increase their ministry. They guys ride around on bicycles in white shirts and ties with helmets on, in scorching heat during the middle of an Okinawan summer. They might be your biggest competition outside of KUMON and any other privately run eikaiwa.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will continue my searching but odds are I will end up with Nova, I have an interview with them when I get back to the states in July. Either way I just want to be able to get something here in Okinawa. Thanks again for all the help, any other info that you find relevant please pass along.🙂

If I were you I would look into teaching private lessons. Also look at teaching at the local city hall.

Nago will be growing quite large in the future. There is a new college in the area, and more construction to come. Teaching English on the private side could become quite a boom for you.

I caution about looking strictly to Nago though, as your fiance is in the public school system, and could indeed be transferred correct?

If I were you I would look into teaching private lessons. Also look at teaching at the local city hall.
Nago will be growing quite large in the future. There is a new college in the area, and more construction to come. Teaching English on the private side could become quite a boom for you.
I caution about looking strictly to Nago though, as your fiance is in the public school system, and could indeed be transferred correct?

I wonder if he is Japanese or not? If he is an ALT the odds are pretty slim about transfers, however if he is Japanese and tenured then he should be in place for at least 5 years if he is in the city itself.

I wonder if he is Japanese or not? If he is an ALT the odds are pretty slim about transfers, however if he is Japanese and tenured then he should be in place for at least 5 years if he is in the city itself.

I think that you meant she??? We were talking about the teacher right and not the OP. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that teachers can and will be moved even with tenure. This happens especially with the principles in the prefecture.

I think that you meant she??? We were talking about the teacher right and not the OP. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that teachers can and will be moved even with tenure. This happens especially with the principles in the prefecture.

My mistake you are correct about the "she" as in the teacher.

Japanese tenured teachers moved on average every 5 years, there are exceptions but generally speaking every 5.

Teachers that go to the outer islands or remote locations are moved usually every two years, some extend and stay threee, which is pretty much the maximum.

Principal's generally speaking are in their schools for 2 to 3 years, and it is VERY unsual for a principal to go over that, however some get moved after one year.

Without knowing if she is full time or not makes a huge difference. Some contracted or yearly teacher can stay in their positions for up to two years. It depends on the school and the principal, although many(most) leave after one. They have to "apply" with their local education office to get their names on the list as substitutes. Good ones usually get or find employment for the following year.

So is she is not tenured odds are she will be moving after one to two years, but Nago has a number of schools so she could be moved within the city.

So is she is not tenured odds are she will be moving after one to two years, but Nago has a number of schools so she could be moved within the city.

Yeah all that you said is correct, about the moving every 5 years. She will begin her first 5 year, in April 2008. But the north board of education keeps all the teacher in the north. so the farthest i think we can go south is Kin Town, I could be wrong about where the north/ south border is for education. You are also correct that there are several schools here in Nago and I beleive in the next few years they will be adding more schools here.

Yeah all that you said is correct, about the moving every 5 years. She will begin her first 5 year, in April 2008. But the north board of education keeps all the teacher in the north. so the farthest i think we can go south is Kin Town, I could be wrong about where the north/ south border is for education. You are also correct that there are several schools here in Nago and I beleive in the next few years they will be adding more schools here.

Wow I am surprised that she knows now, particularly at this time of year when and where she is going. The school year just started here in April.

If it is going to be her 1st five year post that means that the current school she is teaching at she was hired "full-time" did a one year ツ鞘?ーツ人 training and then 2 years at the school for a total of 3 years.

Usually full time or tenured teachers are notified, unless they are substituting for someone else, in February about their placements for the next school year.

What level will she be teaching? ES/JHS/HS or college? There are something in the neighborhood of 18 public Elementary Schools and 8 or 9 public Junior High Schools in Nago

The northern areas past Nago, the Motobu/Nakajin area and futher up to Hedomisaki are considered to be remote schools and are only two year, up to three year assignments.

There are basically 6 different Education districts in Okinawa ツ坂?倪?慊ェ窶冢窶ケテヲ Kunigami district, 窶吮??窶慊ェ窶冢窶ケテヲ Nakagami District, 窶愿溪?抛窶冢窶ケテヲ Naha District, 窶懌?。ツ尻窶冢窶ケテヲ Shimajiri District, 窶ケ{ナ津??冢窶ケテヲ Miyako District and 窶敖ェツ重ナスR窶冢窶ケテヲ Yaeyama District. The Nago area is included in the Kunagami District so the furthest south that she could be transfered is Nago. Ginoza and down south to Nishihara is a part of the Nakagami District. Kin is also in the Nakagami Disctrict which as you probably also know is south of Ginoza.

So unless your finance makes a request to move to a different district you guys are going to be up north.

Back
Top Bottom