What's new

education path?

Abracadabra_B

後輩
5 Dec 2007
Hi, I'm 19 years of age and from the Unites States and I want to eventually be a English teacher in Japan. I have been searching the web for the past week and I have found a lot of useful information but I haven't been able to find exactly what I want to know. I was wondering what would be a good education/degree goal I should be working for? What kind of college should I attend? Should I major in Japanese, English or teacher education or something else to my liking? Here in the states if you go to a University your expected salary is substantially more than most other colleges such as CSU's, if I go to Japan would this also be true? If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you're talking about teaching at a private eikaiwa or doing the JET program for the experience of going to Japan, your level of bachelor's degree is just a requirement, secondary to your ability to speak English at a native level. If you're talking about making a career out of teaching English, education-oriented majors will be more helpful. I believe there are programs designed for ESL/EFL teachers, but I'm not sure if there is a BA for it; the only person I know pursuing this is in a graduate program.

If you want to teach English long-term, get the proper credentials. That means a degree in linguistics or something related, plus certification in TEFL. If you want to teach in an international school, you'll need a teaching license from your home country, plus experience there first. If you want a university job, you'll have to get either a master's or a PhD degree, Japanese language ability, work experience here (usually), and publications. PM me if you want more info, but be prepared to say what type of teaching job you want.

What is a CSU?

I want to go their while I'm still somewhat young. What would be my options if I don't have any teaching experience? Could I do something like the JET program than after the 3 year contract is up find a teaching job somewhere in Japan? What kind of job should I expect after I get out of JET? Or does the JET program require you to have teaching experience also? If I did do something like that would there be anyway to pursue my education in Japan while I'm working or should I come back to the states to further my education so when I go back to Japan I could get a better job. what would be the difference if I got a B.A or a B.S as opposed to getting a masters or a PHD? Working conditions, location and pay are my concerns. Sorry about all these questions but I really don't know who else to ask. Thank you.

EDIT: A CSU is a type of college here in California, which are easier to get into but don't offer many high paying jobs like University of California schools offer. I was wondering if that meant anything in Japan or if all that matters is what type of degrees you obtain.

Age has nothing to do with being an EFL teacher, Abracacabra. Many start out fresh out of college, but a huge number make career shifts at 30, 40, or even 50.

What would be my options if I don't have any teaching experience?
Bottom of the barrel entry jobs, just like any other profession. Most EFL teachers here start out that way. Conversation school, ALT.

Could I do something like the JET program than after the 3 year contract is up find a teaching job somewhere in Japan?
Yes.

What kind of job should I expect after I get out of JET?
Entry level, or perhaps (PERHAPS) something in a private HS or as a dispatch company ALT.

Or does the JET program require you to have teaching experience also?
Read the pamphlet. They don't. However, about 10-15% of the applicants do, and a source tells me they would like more to have it. Just realize that you are an ALT, not a full-blown teacher on JET, so you have to cater to the Japanese teachers you assist.

If I did do something like that would there be anyway to pursue my education in Japan while I'm working or should I come back to the states to further my education so when I go back to Japan I could get a better job.
Distance learning is commonly done, whether your distance school is in the USA or Japan. People here have done both.

what would be the difference if I got a B.A or a B.S as opposed to getting a masters or a PHD?
Very likely no option to get a full-time university job. Competition all over is very tight now, so perhaps some HS positions would even be off-limits without the MA.

Working conditions, location and pay are my concerns.
Read more about the market. Pay is falling. With the declining birthrate, schools (including universities) are closing or merging). Practically anyone will be accepted by 2050, so they say, which means the bar will be lowered on teaching standards. Who gets accepted for teaching jobs may also change by then. I say that because those insidious dispatch companies are getting their claws in everywhere, including local BOEs and universities. Location is pretty spotty. That is, larger chain schools (and JET) have vacancies all over, but you can only request where to go, and they choose your location based on many other factors as well. Otherwise, with regular schools, you can't really afford to be choosy about location because of the tight market. Did you have some particular geographic focus?

Back
Top Bottom