What's new

easy way to learn common japanese?

20 Aug 2003
I really would lik to learn japanese but like english to japanese dictionary things never work for me..do you know of a tape or..program that would hep teach me? not like proper japanese like most language teaching tools would but common things that maybe include some slang?

I think there is some software/freeware out there that allows you to learn from anime/manga, but of course it is not easy :p and I wouldn't advise trying on your slang with Japanese until you have a very strong grasp of the basics. You probably won't get much respect either way as an extreme beginner, but speaking too casually is going to come off unimaginably rude and embarrassing not to mention being completely unintelligible. :)

It's best to learn "proper Japanese" as your main course of study ; then you can easily assimilate slang as it comes up because you understand how the language works and where it fits in.

them dictionaries will perhaps mess you up more than help....I've noticed the J-students use them all the time, and this may also encourage the creation of more engrish.... :D

if you're near a major university, see if you can't find exchange students or other J-folks in the area that can't help you learn Japanese...native speakers are good, assuming that they let you know which dialect they are speaking, of course... :D

If you're going after conversational type Japanese, I suggest finding a tape or CD, and play it the car or where ever you are and just repeat everything they say. It helps me a lot! Just last night, I got into my Japanese Friend's car and he had a Japanese -> English CD. He is good at English now although a few mistakes come out.

If you want to learn to write, get a chart, and practice the Kana first until you can write them and recognize them on your own.
I practiced writing the Kana, for the past 3 months writing each Kana about 10-15 times to help learn.
:)

Edit In: One more thing: Are you in Japan now? If so, try to make many many friends. Listen as they talk to eachother and just pick out the Japanese you know...repeat what they say if they talk to you. You'd be suprised how much better it is to learn this way.
😄

Originally posted by Punk 窶堙固坦窶堙姑陳哉鍛ニ谷ツー
If you're going after conversational type Japanese, I suggest finding a tape or CD, and play it the car or where ever you are and just repeat everything they say. It helps me a lot! Just last night, I got into my Japanese Friend's car and he had a Japanese -> English CD. He is good at English now although a few mistakes come out.

If you want to learn to write, get a chart, and practice the Kana first until you can write them and recognize them on your own.
I practiced writing the Kana, for the past 3 months writing each Kana about 10-15 times to help learn.
:)

Edit In: One more thing: Are you in Japan now? If so, try to make many many friends. Listen as they talk to eachother and just pick out the Japanese you know...repeat what they say if they talk to you. You'd be suprised how much better it is to learn this way.
😄

🙂 ty for the help

and no im not in japan however i really want to go..but i dont want to plan the trip unless i can atleast speak enough to get me by there ya know?

heh, welll...I'm attending a basics course at my school, but in addition to that I'm thinking of buying this package of couple of vhs tapes and a booklet that I saw in a local bookstore. It's pretty expensive though.But maybe you'll find something like that too.
I'm just worried that I don't have enough time (=about 6 months) to learn japanese, if I have the chance to travel there next summer..

Originally posted by X-Japan-FanGrl
I really would lik to learn japanese but like english to japanese dictionary things never work for me..do you know of a tape or..program that would hep teach me? not like proper japanese like most language teaching tools would but common things that maybe include some slang?
For me there has been nothing better for learning Japanese than actually being there and speaking it all day.

Back
Top Bottom