What's new

Easiest way to remember Kanji?

japanmoji

後輩
9 Jul 2010
Hi everyone, I just want to know how you study Japanese Kanji characters? Is there an easy way to remember complicated kanji writing? As we know that there are kanji with similar strokes. Please share your experience.

simple - write them down all over and over again. Best way is to do it in kanji compounds so you learn words at the same time. Learning stand alone characters is not very practical, unless the very basic ones.

I'm going to second what ryuurui had to say. For me, it is definitely a matter of repetition. There are kanji that I had to use over, and over, in my Japanese classes that I don't think I could forget if I wanted to. (I'm looking at you 学生、勉強、元気...!)

As for what I do outside of class/writing, I would recommend making flashcards by hand with the kanji and stroke order on the front and readings on the back. Quiz yourself, alternating between back and front, and make sure you're writing down your answers while quizzing (repetition is key!). If you're not already working with stroke order, I would highly recommend it. It definitely helps me with memorization.

Basically from left/upper to right/down.
and first from main part of meaning to part of detail.

For example 藤, that is a name of a grass/flower,
so first writing is upper part of 草, that start from horizonal line to vertical(left at first),
and next part is 月, then a final part of details so that single character can be complete.
Generally upper part of character has upper category than left-side part of it,
and left part of character also have a strong meanings to right side,
and writing is following to meaning ladders.

But why second stroke of 月 must be written two lines at once?
I recommend to use Asian old writing tool of 筆,
and try to make a smooth line to complete single character.
it is difficult to feel with hard-point pen but similar to cursive handwriting in English,
so first stroke of 月 flow up to second stroke at pen movement(but hidden in line),
and second stroke is jump up to third stroke, next drop to fourth,
then landing down to complete fourth stroke.
筆 is easy to make with straight hair, tight it and attach to pencil-size stick,
and only to spill and write like a fountain pen.

Of course complex one is later, but only basic might be enough to be confuse I think,
when I saw a character of 平民 as to describe membership at there.
(BTW what suck name is these rankings?)
平 is still easy, from upper horizontal, left point and right point,
middle horizontal and finally vertical, it is easy to understand.
That writing number is also following the meaning of 平 as a "flat", and figures libra,
so "how to figure" is directly related to writing number, it feels very reasonable.
but what about 民? why does it start from upper part and not start from left?
This seems to be about character-constructing theory and single-line puzzle,
and I think you will take a little time to experience.

Cheer up! I also sometimes refer "呉昌碩 臨石鼓文" to feel originals...

Careful with reference to Chinese books, the stroke order may differ at times for same kanji.
It was distorted throughout a process of kanji borrowing by the Japanese.

Best refer to wiki, which should get you started.

Stroke order - Wikipedia

Whats' up Ikuyadas, you are in Japan and have not got used to the ranking systems yet lol?

Back
Top Bottom