What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Earthquakes

Aurura

Reaching out...
Reaction score
I live in "The Hill Country", but a lot of the land here is also flatter-than-flat. Never once yet have I experienced an earthquake... I'd imagine that it'd scare me out of my wits the first time I ever do...

Tornadoes, actually, are very common here. Does Japan experience very many of those, if at all?

Anyhow, how does a person/family get used to earthquake instances as a common occurance in their day-to-day lives?

Emoni

先輩
Reaction score
Earthquakes have always been the one thing I really fear in Japan. The more I looked into earthquakes in Japan and how prepared Japan is (I.E. the Kobe earthquake and afterwards) the more I realized, holy crap... you fools haven't done crap. If there is a major earthquake in Tokyo I would not be surprised if at least half a million people die depending on the time and where it is centered, many of those from simply the fires and lack of response by emergency teams. They haven't prepared...

As for getting use to them, minor ones you just kind of feel a shake and it is done, but you wait a few seconds to see if it will get worse and look for something to get under. That is about it. It IS unnerving for sure, but you get used to it in a weird way.

As for Tornadoes, I heard there are places in Japan that have a few, but never saw them.

(BTW, why is this in serious discussion, shouldn't this be in "Anything about Japan?")

Aurura

Reaching out...
Reaction score
Well honestly, I wasn't sure just where to put it. I was trying to find a suitable section in "All Things Japanese" or "Japanese News & Hot Topics" or something, but since this is a topic more on the geographical than the social, I was still at a loss..

If there's a spot I've overlooked, feel free to move it, anyone.

Top Bottom