What's new

Earthquake Donation Scams

Dogen Z

aka YOSUQUE
23 Apr 2007
Beware of Scams

Be very careful of where you send donations. Please read "Tips to avoid earthquake phishing scams" at msnbc.com or www.securitynewsdaily.com

In the U.S., you can safely donate to the American Red Cross, www.redcross.org I don't know about other places.

In Japan, I've already seen a large group trying to collect donations in front of a train station. I don't know if it's legit. I'd be wary.

Good thread, Dogen! 👍

In Japan, I've already seen a large group trying to collect donations in front of a train station. I don't know if it's legit. I'd be wary.

I would not donate anything to such groups either.
Most convenience stores always put a collection box at the cash desk/till, and there are many proper organization to accept donations.

List of the websites for donation in Japan.
平成23年東北地方太平洋沖地震(東日本大震災) - 募金情報まとめ
東北地方太平洋沖地震の募金・寄付ができるサイト一覧
(in Japanese language)
You can use credit cards for donation as well as cash.

Personally I think the best organization is Japan Red Cross.
日本赤十字社
*Currently access is difficult to this site, it seems that everyone is trying to find how to donate! The front page says how to donate is to be announced.

There are things in this world that make us question as to why people do things. And scams exist all round the world. I for one am going to make two donations to help Japan, one to the Red Cross and one to this site, to keep the servers running.

Back
Top Bottom