What's new

Drunk Humour?

kinjo

後輩
15 Mar 2002
Hi
This is a question on Japanese humour.
I have noticed that when my Japanese clients get drunk in a party, as always, the jokes they start to crack are sometimes are pretty lewd and so women-oriented. Not all of them , but many of them.
Things like "know what, this woman here wants to have kids from u" (when u wudnt even be knowing that female) or "she wants to be ur girlfriend".............its all about josei...

I have heard a lot about Japanese middle-aged men's fetish for schoolgirls' underwear etc. , is this just an extension of the same?

They never seem to get abashed, no, not even the women!
They are so blatant regarding all these..

Is it true that lewd or mildly saying, women-oriented jokes are a norm in parties? And is it true that the women enjoy it as well?

Pardon me, if u found anything I wrote offensive.

Kinjo

Far as I can tell it's the run of the mill. I guess it also depends on the crowd that you're with.

I guess it all depends on the [tamateru]ness of your crowd.
tamateru = pent up ... frustration regualr or sexual

I do agree that most women don't seem to give much notice probably because they figure that men are children anyway.

I don't think that women do like it but ... if it's a typical friend party they let it go while if it's on a company level, they probably will one day cry [seku hara] sexual harassment.

Also, remember that a certain level will be given some leeway since Japan's culture doesn't have Purtain foundation that the States has.

I tend to try to stay away from such a topic during work related but if I were out on the town ... oops ;) well, I am a guy after all :)

I think that moyashi is off the mark on two points here.

1 From Kinjo's flag, I'd say that he isn't from USA, so why
the relevance? Do all Japanese think that anyone who writes
in English (looks white) is automatically from USA?

2 Having a healthy respect for equal rights doesn't make a
country puritan. You can't simply excuse Japan's blatant sexist
behaviour on culture grounds. Remember, with sakoku, the
country was virtually closed down, and it didn't have real access to either Enlightenment advances in thought, or to a culture of
debate.

@TheCaledonian
When comparing east with west, it's always Japan vs USA, in any topic.
And i think the USA (coupled with Great Britain) is a prime example of overdoing censorship, so on that note Moyashi hit the nail right on the head.
I personally think censorship is very unhealthy, because there's no point in ignoring reality.

And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with equal rights, since women among themselves are just as bad as men.
When it comes to making lewd jokes, Japan is no exception. This happens everywhere. Perhaps the Japanese have a more childish approach.

@comparison
I would have loved to have made a comparison to another country but sadly I don't have enough experience to go that far. From your nic I venture to guess that you're from Caledonia. Sorry to say I didn't even know your country existed until I came to Japan. Lol, I had no clue that Captain Cook was such an important figure to New Zealand. Although I have had coffee from Caledonia which was very good. So, just from this example you can see that it would be hard for me to compare something to something which I have no true knowledge of. Also, I chose the States because I wanted to use the Puritan image/metaphor of which the Puritan ethic had a major influence on the culture the Americans.

@equal rights
I'm all for equal rights. Hell, equal rights remove lots of pressure off men. So, personally I think that equal rights give benefits to both sexes (oops) all the sexes.

In some circumstances I believe that it's necessary grab a country by it's ear to straighten it up a bit but ... where do you draw the line? I too at one time felt very strongly about the situation in Japan. Sure, to some extent I've gone native and have become toughened to some extent to things that would have offended my sense but ... having gone a bit native have also opened new insights into things. It's been a good 20 years since the ERA and WOW (I hope those are right) started in the States. I'm pretty positive that Japanese women have more than a chance to try it out. So, why has nothing changed? Like Twisted mentioned above, I too think the Japanese women themselves need to want the change themselves. Nobody can do it for them.

@all gaijin are American?
No not all Japanese don't think that all gaijin are American. But I bet a good majority do though.

@ Sorry

I'm sorry if my post came across strange. I just post comments. At times I do say stupid things but heck don't we all?

@TheCaledonian.
Cheers and welcome to the board. I hope that you find something useful or interesting here :)

@ lewd humour

When I had spent my first evening drinking with Japanese I was astonished to see how fast the discussion turned "lewd" once the level of intoxication had risen. Notice, astonished not appalled. Even as the discussion touched upon pretty personal issues (I was the only gaijin present) all the girls at the table frenetically participated. I admit it was fun, and they all seemed to enjoy "indulging in lewdness". That evening just left an aftertaste of childishness.

@ equal rights

I personally believe that it's not an issue of equal rights. Women *have* the right to behave the same way, and they do (not as blatantly as their male counterparts of course). And not only in Japan.

@ puritanism

Puritan ethics and respect for equal rights. Have to think about that.

And welcome TheCaledonian, nice to have you on board!

:)

@ lewd humour
generally

This is, unfortunately, part of life!! young people are the best at this pass time and use this humour to show off their skills at conversation and total (mis)understanding of the opposite sex, yes it's childish, and yes it's silly, but its apparently stimulating and fun, at its best its regarded here as "silly talk" and only the least sexually active people would use this as it identifies to the rest of the company a need to speak an exciting time as opposed to enjoying a lovely time.;)

@ moyashi
I'm all for equal rights. Hell, equal rights remove lots of pressure off men. So, personally, I think that equal rights give benefits to both sexes (oops) all the sexes.
This I have to agree with whole heartily🙂

For all of you who didn't read this already, I found this so funny. It seemed to fit here with "Drunk humour."

I was invited out for a night with the guys. I told my wife that I would be home by midnight...
"promise!"

Well, the hours passed quickly, and the beer was going down way too easy. At 3 am, drunk as a skunk, I headed for home.

Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hall
started up and cuckooed three times. Quickly, I realized
she'd probably wake up, so I cuckooed another 9 times. I was really proud of having such a rapid, witty solution, even when smashed, to escape a possible conflict.

The next morning my wife asked me what time I got in, and I told her 12 o'clock. She didn't seem disturbed at all. Got away with that one, I thought! Then she told me we needed a new cuckoo clock. When I asked her why she said, "Well, last night it cuckooed 3 times, then said,
'oh f**k,' cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed
another 3 times, giggled, cuckooed twice more.... then farted."

I thought I would let you all have a giggle at this one. 👏 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom