What's new

Drinks in a few weeks time?

トラちゃん1

Big city - too tired
10 Jan 2006
Anyone keen for some drinks, in Shinjuku or Roppongi? ( Tokyo )
Me and a mate are planing on going out early Febuary. Anyone welcome.

I don't wish to appear a judgmental party-pooper, but FYI-in-case-you-didn't-know-it...........you're under the legal age to drink in Japan. Any trouble you get into can jeopardize your current stay and possibility of future visits.

Just fake your age, most westerners by 19 look sufficiently adult.

But mike does have a point.
Go at ye own peril.

I wasn't referring to getting in trouble for attempting to drink while underage. The probability of that is very near zero.

Unfortunately, when in a drinking environment there is always the possibility of other trouble breaking out. If/when the police become involved, the illegal drinking will come out.

flip me, so it's still illegal to drink in Japan at the age of 19? O_O in UK, it is 18 fully, isn't it? and 16 years old your allowed permission in yoiur own house or something, that might be incorrect though. I can't say I have never illegally drunk before though...😌

Of course, anyone with some cash can go buy either out of vending machines placed all over the place... Some conveniently down random back alleys near stores at night. Sorry to contribute to delinquency but just being factual.

Yokan said:
flip me, so it's still illegal to drink in Japan at the age of 19? O_O in UK, it is 18 fully, isn't it? and 16 years old your allowed permission in yoiur own house or something, that might be incorrect though. I can't say I have never illegally drunk before though...😌

In Japan one is considered a minor until reaching the age of 20.

Explains the comming of age day requiring you to be 20 then.

On an interesting note most 18 year olds are fairly immature, sometimes i think westerners are in too much of a rush to grow up.

Thanks Mike for the heads up. I didn't realise what the age was until now. I was told previously that it was 18.

I went to the bank today to try and send some money over to New Zealand.
After 30 minutes of back and forward they finally told me I was not allowed to complete the transaction as I was a minor. 20 years and above only. I was shocked, but what could I do?
I just can't see the point in that. I mean, I'm on a working holiday visa, travelling and living in Japan by myself, paying my bills, feeding myself, dressing myself, and yet I can't send money at a bank because I'm a minor.

Oh well.

Yes, but when you think about it a bit further you have to wonder why they let a minor in the country on a working holiday visa at all.

nurizeko said:
Explains the comming of age day requiring you to be 20 then.
On an interesting note most 18 year olds are fairly immature

That is very true. So are most 20 year olds...especially in Japan. I've known quite a few Japanese who were considerably immature even as they approached 30.

sometimes i think westerners are in too much of a rush to grow up.

I agree. I think you may someday come to marvel, if you haven't already, at how many Japanese are eager to avoid growing up....and how the country is quite content to let them.

Yokan said:

Just some interesting facts about 2 Nordic countries to continue this information flow.
In Sweden Your an adult at the age of 18 your allowed to drink at bars and nightclubs but your not allowed to buy a bottle of liquor or a can of beer until the age of 20.
In Denmark your an adult at 18 but your allowed to buy liquor ether at bars or in shops at the age of 16.
Luckily I grew up in a town close to the danish border :p

Yup in Denmark we drink like the old Vikings... most people start drinking at parties already at age 16.

So If ya wanna party you just need to go to Denmark. I Didn't know though that in sweden you were supposed to be 18/20 before you could start drinking.

Actually it sux hearing that you need to be 20 to be able to drink in Japan. Me and a friends was thinking about going to Japan when were 18/19 and finished school. But if we can't drink I think that would drown most of the fun at parties or nightclubs.

Anyway you don't need to drink to have a fun time, Drinking with your friends at parties just makes it all the more funnier :D

Da Monstar said:
Me and a friends was thinking about going to Japan when were 18/19 and finished school. But if we can't drink I think that would drown most of the fun at parties or nightclubs.

Nobody said you can't drink. It is illegal to drink.

Da Monstar said:
I Didn't know though that in sweden you were supposed to be 18/20 before you could start drinking.
Why did you think the street of Copenhagen and Helsingor are filled with drunken Swedish teens on the weekends :p

Back
Top Bottom