What's new

Double verbs

Damicci

先輩
4 Nov 2003
Where can I learn about double verbs such as: 私の車は走ってなくて困った。
I just learned a little about them yesterday and see this combination of verbs is used quite often.

Damicci said:
Where can I learn about double verbs such as: 私の車は走ってなくて困った。
I just laerned a little about them yesterday and see this combination of verbs is used quite often.
You mean like this example of the 'te' form ? Not really compound verbs. :)

Well yes and no. :p
My japanese friend explained to me it would be translated as "because my car wouldn't run I became irritated." But, I am not understanding exactly how it works. I am familiar with a basic use of the te form but this is a lil different i think.

You mean because you can think of "komaru" more as an adjective than verb
as the resulant state of a previous action, or can actually substitute an adjective it seems different ? I'd say a variation on, but then I only know as much as the textbooks tell me to organize it. :p

Yes an action being a resultant of a previous action, but ~kute is the verb form I am not familiar with.

Damicci said:
私の車は走ってなくて困った。
There's a colloquialism going on here. To put it more grammatically, it would be:
私の車は走ってなくて困った。

Last edited:
Krazy is right about ~なくて being simply the ~て form of negative verbs. I think of a compound verb as one that combines a stem form with another verb, like 取り替える. Otherwise we're just linking verbs together.

Also, remember that ~なくて and ~ないで are different; the first is used to link verbs, like 走らなくて困る is "It doesn't run and I'm in trouble," whereas 読まないで分かる is more like "I understand it without reading it" The other use of ~ないで you probably already know is to use it for a negative request 写真を撮らないでください。

nice gaijin said:
Krazy is right about ~なくて being simply the ~て form of negative verbs. I think of a compound verb as one that combines a stem form with another verb, like 取り替える. Otherwise we're just linking verbs together.

Also, remember that ~なくて and ~ないで are different; the first is used to link verbs, like 走らなくて困る is "It doesn't run and I'm in trouble," whereas 読まないで分かる is more like "I understand it without reading it" The other use of ~ないで you probably already know is to use it for a negative request 写真を撮らないでください。

That helps me a lot. Basically what I wanted to know. Just I am not sure how to use it in a common sentence. I'll have to think a bit more about this one.
Thanks for the insight everyone.

JimmySeal said:
There's a colloquialism going on here. To put it more grammatically, it would be:
私の車は走ってなくて困った。

Or a little more naturally, 走れなくて

Elizabeth said:
It's more common in the affirmative, but how about 車が走ってくれなくて ?

Nothing wrong with a little anthropomorphism every now and then.

I would say 「(私の)車が走らなくて困った。」 or 「車が走ってくれなくて困った。」

<adjective>
寒いー>寒くて 困る
暑いー>暑くて 困る
ないー>なくて 困る

<verb>
(道が)こむー>こんで 困る
寒すぎるー>寒すぎて 困る
おなかが すくー>すいて 困る

あと、ちょっと余計なことですが、、、。
車の調子が悪くて動かないときは
「走らなくて困る」ですが、