What's new

Double Consonants: How do you write them?

Midori Garasu

後輩
9 Jun 2009
When using hiragana to write words, what do you combine to get the double consonants in some words? How would it be written? (Ex. Bikke bakke, datte, rikki)

The only one I know of is in the case of words with two "n" letters in their romaji, because the "ん" can be combined witha corresponding "na", "ni", "nu", "ne", or "no" character. (ex. konnichiwa = こんにちわ)

You might have tried the search engine, usually if i have a question i can find it pretty easily without making a new thread, but thats okay for now, just try it out in the future :D

You use a smaller version of つ
you can type it by pressing two of the consonants, or by typing "ltsu"

ラッキ
"rakki"

すげっ!
"sugeltsu"

だって
"datte"

😅 Eh, heh.....Thank you for helping me with this, although I do understand what you have told me, parts of it confuse me, because the only kanji I know is strictly the hiragana characters for the sounds. I do not recognize any katakana or kanji symbols for specific words. And to type in hiragana, I have copied and pasted the entire hiragana alphabet into a microsoft word file, so to use my "home-made hiragana keyboard", I simply look for my desired symbol, copy, and paste it into whatever I am typing until I have finished my hiragana statement. The miniature つ, (っ) I understand...But what is the ッ?

That is the small katakana tsu for use in katakana words such as internet: インターネット (intaanetto).

😅 Eh, heh.....Thank you for helping me with this, although I do understand what you have told me, parts of it confuse me, because the only kanji I know is strictly the hiragana characters for the sounds. I do not recognize any katakana or kanji symbols for specific words. And to type in hiragana, I have copied and pasted the entire hiragana alphabet into a microsoft word file, so to use my "home-made hiragana keyboard", I simply look for my desired symbol, copy, and paste it into whatever I am typing until I have finished my hiragana statement. The miniature つ, (っ) I understand...But what is the ッ?

ツ ⇒ ッ
yeah, what putrefaction said. :p

@FrustratedDave

lol

SUGELTSU!

I was about to say I have never seen "ltsu", though the way I did it was comparably worse (italicizing the tsu).

I recommend getting IME so you can type in Japanese (in windows). Do a search.

In IME, the small tsu つ → っ (and any other "small" kana) can be easily typed typing x first. so "tsu" = つ, and "xtsu" = っ

This character that marks a "double consonant" is officially called a sokuon 促音, but most Japanese people refer to them simply as "小さいつ," chiisai tsu/small tsu.

...to type in hiragana, I have copied and pasted the entire hiragana alphabet into a microsoft word file, so to use my "home-made hiragana keyboard", I simply look for my desired symbol, copy, and paste it into whatever I am typing until I have finished my hiragana statement. The miniature つ, (っ) I understand...But what is the ッ?

Linky link to thread on installing an IME in my sig (below). ^_^

Back
Top Bottom