At Home Dad
Anego
Gal Circle
Gachi Baka
Gokusen
GokusenII
Sore ha totuzen arashi
Galileo

I love Japanese dramas. They are far more surprising then the ones from the US or Europe. The ones I've seen so far are:

Nurse Aoi
Ichi ritoru no namida
Densha Otoko
Water Boys 2
Stand Up!!
Summer Snow
Beautiful life
GTO

My all time favorite is probably Densha Otoko. I've seen it now 5 times or so already and it's still amusing. Besides Water Boys (wasn't really impressed with that one) the other ones were all amazing too.

I've start to like the Japanese dramas quite a lot. I like them because they are short usually with a good decent story. Those dramas don't lose themselfs in meaningless details or cheesy staff just to make another 100 episodes for bored ladies. the only thing hard to understand are the comedies, i guess i have a problem in understanding humor. :) Well i do have fun watching horror movies.

Let see what I've watched lately:
Hana yori dango
Kurosagi
Summer snow(I know is not very new but well i live quite far far away from Japan):)
Fire boys
Pride
Beatiful life
Security Police (Istill nead to see some episods)

ive only watched so far is 1 litre of tears and indeed it is the title itself will really make you cry "1 litre of tears". sekai no chhushin de ai wo sakebu is the other dorama im already watching now but i havent finish watching yet.
im looking foward to watch taiyo no uta, byakuyakou and galileo

I like watching Hachikuro, Nodame Cantabile, My Boss my Hero, GTO & very old one--> Itazura na kiss (becoz' it was my very 1st J-drama)
I wishhhhh I could grab alot of J-dramas to watch unfort. alot is unavail. where I am.

I haven't watched many dramas yet, but I liked the ones I watched ^^;
- Jotei
- Attack No.1
- Ace wo Nerae!
- Attention Please
- Katagoishi no Koibito
- Kemonomichi
I'm currently watching
- Koshonin
I'm waiting for Abarenbo Mama to be subbed ^^

MY BOSS MY HERO...very funny watch it. I also hear that Stand Up is funny and Liar Game apparently is also good

Can anyone recommend a drama that's not too difficult to understand? I'm sure I'll need subtitles but something that's not medical or political etc. would be good, just so I could limit the amount of insanely complex vocab needed and at least try it without the subs. Maybe something geared for teens, as I've found that these movies (like Linda Linda Linda) weren't as hard to keep up with as others and might be good for exposure to popular slang and colloquialisms too. I have zero experience with this but I'd like to get into something as a study-aid and for it to be interesting too.

Also, anything that's recent and widely available would be great so I can maybe download it from the beginning and not get stuck looking for missing episodes.

Dorama junkies, suggestions please?

While not admitting to being a drama junkie, I do confess to watching them some of the time-to umm improve my Japanese ability. :) You can find a whold bunch of them at the website called silent regrets. The downloads are free and subtitled in Englsh. You'll need to download the right codec to view the dramas. I recommend Wincodec or DIVX if you're using windows. Synopsis are included. Older dramas are better--more touching, sensitive, and real. Newer dramas are silly or over-dramatic with typical Hollywood endings.

Thanks ocean dude, I'll check that website out!

I also found a bunch on crunchyroll! I'm already into my 2nd episode of Odoru Daisousasen

There are loads of Doramas that are so good like Hana kimi, Hana Yori Dango, Nodame Cantabile. And a recently dorama Zettai Kareshi

Byakuyakou is the best drama, period.

It has everything, from murder to necrophelia to pedophelia to backstabbing. It rocks.

The worst dramas ever are "Tokyo Friends" and "Densha Otoko". Nothing but sappy unrealistic corniness.

I enjoy watching Jdorama's so now and then, and my favourite is without any doubt: Ikebukuro West Gate Park! problem is, not a lot of guys know this drama.
Ooooh my favourite, too! I've just started re-watching it yesterday but today, Tengoku ni ichiban chikai Otoko arrived and new things first... That being said, after posting this I'll go watch it 🙂

About being too dramatic, I agree in case you mean over-acting and exaggerated music and stuff as in Gokusen (kept ticking me off till the very last episode of the 3rd season.. bigass good-will-prevail music, Yankumi loosening her hair, walking "Watashi? Watashiwa, koitsura no tannin no sensei dayo", almost EVERY DAMNED EPISODE :(), but what I do like about Japanese dramas like IWGP (especially the gut-wrenching last episode and Takashi's break-down) and Byakuyakou, is that they're not as dull as many Western dramas, but still just as entertaining.

I've watched:
IWGP 👍 (greatly inspired me concerning filmmaking)
Mukodono 2003 (I thought it was an interesting series if you want a look behind the scenes of the geinoukai, but I quickly changed my mind. It's bull)
Long Love Letter (really made me want to preserve the environment)
Mou ichidou kiss (for cast fans only IMHO... Kubosuke: gorgeous!)
Strawberry on the Shortcake (horrible love-triangle-cheesiness, only bearable for fans of the cast)
Wakaba no koro (interesting & memorable, but Kubozuka's part is too small IMHO)
Gokusen 1,2,3 (great values vs. horrible directing & music, hmmm... plus, Yankumi's fighting scenes were ridiculous, it was just too obvious that there was no force in her hands when she hit a dude, she didn't even bother to tighten up, all she did was imitate movements from some fight choreographer or worse, cartoons)
Byakuyakou (depressing..)
Omiai Kekkon (Kubozuka is hilarious, especially as he contemplates suicides with 2 bullpens up his nose, but the rest is boring IMO)
Zettai Kareshi (not memorable IMO, the main character had a horrible actor)
Vampire Gigolo (but only the first 3 or 4 episodes because it was just too embarrassing to watch, an insult to decent directing and SFX)
GTO (disappointing when you know the manga... Onicchi wasn't even bleached, and a kick to the head doesn't make the same impression as a German Souplex. He was Mr Speech, not Mr Goodhearted *****)
Dragon Zakura (loved this one, so much better than GTO if you choose a non-violent teacher anyways)
One litre of tears (that's about the same as what I shed watching this. This drama made me feel a bit better about my own life because I'm almost 25, Aya died at that age after years of severe disability)

Does anyone know how to get my hands on Otoko Neechan/Shonen H?

curently watching Teppan Girl Akane,,,it's all bout teppan,,and the food looks soooo yummy~ though the story was kinda exaggerated.. just like delicious gakuin...

Actually watching:

Code Blue SP
HYD the film
Galileo SP
Bloody monday
Hataraki man
Innocent love (just for Maki because the main actor pisses me off)
Ashita no kita yoshio
Triangle

I have only recently started to watch Asian Dramas. Out of the Japanese ones i've seen I really liked..

Hana Yori Dango
Hana Yori Dango 2
Nodame Cantabile

And I plan to watch...
Gokusen
LIFE (I love the manga)

To me the best "GTO", humour, action, emotive, charming, important things to learn in daily life... it's perfect...

After that, "Liar game", vibrant!!

And "Nodame Cantabile", very funny.

"Hana Yori Dango" is also really good.

I like J dramas too! I've got a couple of titles at home, some I'd borrow from friends and my teacher. Some others I collected them. Others can be watched off from the TV.

Titles like:
Beach Boys, Engine, Good Luck, Trick, Naughty Kiss, GTO, Hero, Furin Kazan, Kami sama, mou sukoshidake, Long Vacation, Moon Child, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, Ice World, Summer Snow, White Tower, 24hours emergency
I watched them off the free to air channels

Titles like:
Dragon Zakura, Detective Galileo, Edison's Mom, Karei naru Ichizoku, Sora kara furu ichioku no hoshi, Saito san, Shigeshoushi, Yukan Club, Quill
I bought them myself

Titles like:
Buzu no hitomi ni koishiteru, Gokusen I, Gokusen II, Hana Yori Dango II, Nodame, Seikaichuu, NANA
I borrow from my friends and teacher

i'm watching

Hana Yori Dango 1&2
Hana Kimi >>> so nice Toma was kawaaaaaaaaaai ..
Kurosagi

I didn't watch that many dramas, but the ones that have really stayed in my memory are Nodame Cantabile and Pride. These two are so great, Nodame is funny an Pride is just so beautiful. I love them.

to zaina: you´re right hana yori and hana kimi are great doramas and hana yori dango have a nice special (ok rui at the end was absolutely funny XD)
Zettai Kreshi is great too
and I´m watching Ryuusei no Kizuna right now~

Back
Top Bottom