What's new

Don't mention the L-word

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
The relationship between a Japanese girl and a gaijin guy can be pretty testy. Here's an interesting article on this:

There you go again. That trick of saying "I love you!" just before hanging up the phone.

Foreign men can sometimes find it difficult to express their feelings, and some girls prefer it that way.

In our eyes, Americans say those three words far too often, and when they're no longer in the mood to say it, switch over to: "I think we better have a talk."

To the Japanese, notorious for being far less expressive about emotions, the whole American-style love-relationship thing strikes one alien chord after another.

fl20040120zga-1.jpg

Japan Times

This is why I say people shouldn't go around casually saying they want to date someone just because of their nationality. Intercultural relationships aren't easy. This being a good example.

yep!

ol girl said her reason was because she wanted some guy who looked like a dude in some movie. that is plumb nutty (imo) and doomed to failure :D
i felt pretty stupid for defending her :eek:

On the flip-side, Japanese (wives, at least) spouses have a tendency to spout "why don't we just divorce, then" during domestic arguments.

Most Japanese can't pronounce the "L" sound.

"I love you" comes out "I rub you".

Certainly a good preparation for coming to the U.S. and working as masseuses

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Kimota
On the flip-side, Japanese (wives, at least) spouses have a tendency to spout "why don't we just divorce, then" during domestic arguments.

Oh gosh. Japanese men don't--well, at least mine never has. I think he would rather drop dead than threaten that.

Isn't it opposite? Japanese people have difficulties pronouncing "R" rather than "L"?
Thus there be a joke about ordering rice in Japanese restaurant...

Originally posted by bambootree
Isn't it opposite? Japanese people have difficulties pronouncing "R" rather than "L"?

The waitress says "We don't have Lice-a-Loni". :D :D

Ask any Japanese to say "parallel park", "safari rally", or a "rollicking relationship". Or just plain "really?"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, the ra, ri, ru, re, ro, in spoken Japanese is neither the English "R" nor "L". It's quite unique. Most foreignors can't pronouce it correctly when they're in Japan, so the joke is on them.

Japanese "ra" almost sounds like--again, but not identical to--the "tta" sound when you say "I gotta go."

Originally posted by bambootree

Go figure...

btw, hajimemashite, bambootree-san. 🙂

Originally posted by Kimota

If this was true, it'll make me feel so much better knowing that it's not only me doing this.... I do mention about "divorce" a lot when arguing with my hubby (american). I wonder why, though.... Does anybody have any insight to this based upon some Japanese cultural background??

Originally posted by Golgo_13
Why, girl, he just loves you to death, don't he?

I wasn't meaning it like that. He hates the word "divorce". I mentioned it when we had a huge argument once, and he got very angry. I guess he just takes it very seriously.

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Another good one is "squirrel"... :D

Hey Pretty Eyes,

You're killin' me out here!

You force your hubby to say it until he says it perfectly?

:D

I knew a gal named Cheryl who went to Japan on a modeling assignment. Nobody could pronouce her name so they just called her Miss Young.

Mmmm....I dont think the japanese would use I love you, but the actual japanese phrase....I cant really see the japanese speaking english to another japanese person....

http://www.fontgraphic.com/zx26/sp.html

lol, The learning system for Japanese pronounciation and the Japanese katakana alphabet.

this ought to settle the arguement

The sounds are very cute...I wish I could adapt it to my keyboard/word processor...😌 :) 😄

(off-topic)

As much as Hachi likes steak, he prefers something more...fresh...
🍜 :gulp:

Odd, but it seems those sounds remind me of the computer from Ultra Maniac...

Attachments

• comp4.jpg
    comp4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 264
Re: I FELT LIKE A SIDE OF BEEF.......

Originally posted by Frank D. White
FLANK-san

Frank-san

:D

They also must've said "Howaito san"

They pronouce wheel as ho'iiru

whale as ho'eeru

and

whip as ho'ippu

THAT'S HOW I SPELL IT IN KANA !!

Because I was such a gakki, everyone called me FURANKU-CHAN !
Until I hit 25, I looked about 12 years old. I got so tired of the baby-face I grew a moushtash to try & look older. At 19, I weighed 98 LBS and looked the part of a weakling !

Frank

🙂

who got sand kicked inhis face, and sent away for a Charles Atlas "Dynamic Tension" muscle building kit?

I SWEAR, THAT AD WAS ....

in every comic book I bought. I knew I was a hopeless case!! My breakfast was a Pepsi & 3Musketeers bar. Lunch was couple slices of bread soaked in maple surpe. At best supper was fries & meat. If it was good for you, I wouldn't eat it. If I didn't have to run from fights all the time, I would have been fat !
Made up for it after marriage, now 175 LBS at 5 FT 7 IN.

Frank

🙂

That ain't too bad. I graduated high school weighing 145 at 5'10". I'd just come in 3rd in the city in the triple jump.

I tip the scales at about 215 now. I eat a ton . . . but very good stuff. Very little meat or white flour products, no dairy and no sugar. No alcohol.

But I love to go to a yakiniku joint every now and then and eat some marble Kalbi or Harami.

Oishisooooo!

Amusing.... but since it's Japan Times I guess I shouldn't be suprised that all the Americans in the article were slobs!

Back
Top Bottom