What's new

Domestic lifestyle in Japan

nedkelly

後輩
16 Mar 2011
When I first visited Japan in 1967, it seemed to me that sitting cross-legged on tatami floors and sleeping in futons on tatami floors at home was universal. By the time I visitedd Japan in 2008, it seemed that many, if not most, household had beds and dining tables on wood veneer floors. Is my impression correct? If so, that is a big change. Can someone direct me to some article or report that describes this lifestyle change.

I am worried by the trend too. Furthermore there are hardly any houses or apartments left wit a squatting toilet seat. After having got used to them in China i can say that i prefer them over western ones and would like to rent an apartment with one installed when i go to Japan. But i recon it must be nearly impossible these days.
And i also join the request for an article on the matter.

When I go to a public toilet in either Japan or China, I MUCH prefer a squatting toilet.

Much has been written about the horrors of public toilets in China. As for squat toilets in Japan, they are still available on the Shinkansen, in parks and train stations.

The optimum solution may be somewhere between the two types of toilet. I wouldn't normally post links to adverts, but this is extremely funny.

Back
Top Bottom