What's new

Does this make sense?

Elizabeth

先輩
22 Apr 2003
The machine translation came out almost too perfect, so some real-life help may be needed now ;)

私はキリスト教徒ならそれは両親は遺産を与えてくれる のはより難しいだろうと思いますが私はそれを受けるの はより容易でしょう。それが人間関係に基づく道徳的行 いはキリスト教の信仰に基づく道徳的行いと違いのを証 明するのかな?

Last edited:
Konnichiwa Elizabeth-san!

Sorry, I can not grasp the meaning of a passage. Please write in English too.:p

NANGI

Sorry ! I guess you do have to have some background that may be even more confusing....

I wanted to say that if I were Christian, I think it would be harder for my parents to allot, or give out, the inheritance, but it would be easier for me to accept it (or accept it as a gift). Does this prove there is a difference between moral actions based on human relationships and those based on Christian beliefs?

OK--well, 南木さん, maybe you will need to correct this part which was meant to put things in some context as well....;).

As simply as possible, the gist of it being: my parents were able to make a very sizable gift payment clearing my student loan debt only by squandering virtually all of my grandparents' inheritance money, or bequest. This much is background information to the reader.

The story picks up....

Now they feel they must give a gift of equal worth to my sister as well. Because the inheritance was originally meant to be divided equally between us. (And as an aside, I'm truly sorry for causing everyone so much trouble while not even using the degrees from the universities the debts went into paying for or helped to fund).

いま両親が妹に平等な贈り物をくれるべきであるそうと思うけど。負債を払った遺産が等しく私と妹にともに分配されることになっていたから。みんなにご迷惑をかけて申し訳ございません。それに負債を借りられ、払われたための学校からの学位を使わないでも。

As for the Christian part of the first text, I was wondering whether their actions may have been based more on a sense of guilt or concern about the way I was raised (morality based on human relations) rather than the more abstract strictures of religious obligation or unconditional parental love.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I don't understand your explanation concretely even now, but I think that I can correct your Japanese sentence.:note:

もしわたしがキリスト教徒なら、財産の分配は両親にとって困難だっただろうと思う。しかしわたしにとっては、贈り物として受け取るのは簡単だった。
このことは、人間関係の道徳的行為に根ざしているのか、またはキリスト教の信仰に根ざしているのか、証明するだろうか?

NANGI

Originally posted by NANGI

I don't understand your explanation concretely even now, but I think that I can correct your Japanese sentence.:note:

Arigatou Nangi-san! I still have a couple questions, but do you think you can work your magic with the first part now as well...🙇

いま両親が妹に平等な贈り物をくれるべきであるそうと
思うけど。負債を払った遺産が等しく私と妹にともに分
配されることになっていたから。みんなにご迷惑をかけ
て申し訳ございません。それに負債を借りられ、払われ
たための学校からの学位を使わないでも。

I tried to say that my parents think they must give a gift of equal worth to my sister. Because the inheritance (zaisan or isan?) was supposed to be divided equally. Why don't you see if you can figure out the last sentence??? :p

Now they feel they must give a gift of equal worth to my sister as well. Because the inheritance was originally meant to be divided equally between us.

This part is no problem to translate.

いま、両親は妹にも平等に遺産を与えるべきだと考えている。遺産はわたしと妹に平等に相続される予定であったから。

But next sentence is difficult to understand.
And as an aside, I'm truly sorry for causing everyone so much trouble while not even using the degrees from the universities the debts went into paying for or helped to fund.

みんなにご迷惑をかけて申し訳なく思う、学校からの学位の負債に借金として支払われたことで。

The inheritance is payed for debt, isn't it? and you can get the degrees from the universities. Is this a right? Or your parents has the inheritance even now?:confused:

And "Isan" is better as "Inheritance".

NANGI

This part is no problem to translate.

いま、両親は妹にも平等に遺産を与えるべきだと考えている。遺産はわたしと妹に平等に相続される予定であったから。

But next sentence is difficult to understand.

みんなにご迷惑をかけて申し訳なく思う、学校からの学位の負債に借金として支払われたことで。

Nangi-san

I just wanted to add that the degrees aren't even necessary for my present job.

それにその学位はわたしのいまの仕事で役に立たないのでしょう(いまの仕事にはその学位は必要ありません)?。

And about the first sentence, I don't completely understand the use of "datta" except maybe that it translates better in English as the conditional 'would have been'. ;). I always worry as well in Japanese comparisons whether it's coming out "easy" or "easier," "difficult" or "more difficult." It's sometimes tempting to add "motto" but probably not necessary. Please let me know for sure on this, though. I wanted something that implies "easier" and "more difficult."

As far as ukeru and uketoru, I think the sense I was trying to get across is somewhere between those two meanings of "get" or "inherit" and "willingly accept or "take into my possession", but with the "as a gift" stipulation, uketoru would seem most appropriate. The muzukashii/konnan distinction is still beyond me, although I suppose the latter may simply sound more formal or dignified?....:note:

もしわたしがキリスト教徒なら、財産の分配は両親にと
って困難だっただろうと思う。しかしわたしにとっては
、贈り物として受け取るのは簡単だった。

このことは、人間関係の道徳的行為に根ざしているのか
、またはキリスト教の信仰に根ざしているのか、証明す
るだろうか?

This is also slightly more direct than we might put it in English, but probably closer to the spirit of my original question. I wonder (do you think? or I believe, but can't verify for certain) if this proves whether their actions stem from ethical behavior rooted in human relationships or are due to their Christian beliefs.

ありがとう。またね

Last edited:

I think this sentence is ...

それにわたしの学位は、いまの仕事では役に立たないでしょうから。

Please let me know for sure on this, though.

Oh, please don't ask me about Japanese-English expression. Your Japanese is better than my poor English.:p
But I think that "motto" or "yori" is better translate in the comparative degree.
An instance...
It is easy to you.(あなたには簡単ですよ)
It is easier to you than me.(あなたにはより簡単ですよ)
This problem is easy to you, but that is easier.(この問題は簡単ですが、あれはもっと簡単です)

"yori" means the comparative degree. "Motto" means bigger degree than "Yori", I think.

As far as ukeru and uketoru,

Your understanding is not mistake. "ukeru" means get, receive, be given, have, take. But if you get a present(a gift), when you use "Uketoru".

"muzukashii" and "konnan" has same meaning, but I think "muzukashii" is more soft meaning(not formal?)than "konnan".
A:この本は、読むのが難しい。
B:この書籍は、解読が困難です。
Both sentences has the same meaning. But B is more formal than A.😌

This is also slightly more direct than we might put it in English, but probably closer to the spirit of my original question.

I could not understand your situation perfectly, and I write that sentence simply. It is the best way with out a mistake.😌

I wonder (do you think? or I believe, but can't verify for certain) if this proves whether their actions stem from ethical behavior rooted in human relationships or are due to their Christian beliefs.

I want to know this problem too. But I don't understand the situation perfectly even now. The point of your saying is "whether their(of course your parents) actions stem from ethical behavior rooted in human relationships or are due to their Christian beliefs". And "their actions stem" means paying property for your education, isn't it?
I can understand "ethical behavior rooted in human relationships", it means duty to bringing up a child by ethical behavior. But I can not understand the part "due to their Christian beliefs". I think that parents give a chance to take high education for their child even if they are not Christian. Or Christian parents ought to give a high education for their child? And is it related to that you are a Christian or not? Sorry, I want to inquire into your personal matter, but I can not understand the situation perfectly even now. 😌

NANGI

I want to know this problem too. But I don't understand the situation perfectly even now. The point of your saying is "whether their(of course your parents) actions stem from ethical behavior rooted in human relationships or are due to their Christian beliefs". And "their actions stem" means paying property for your education, isn't it?
I can understand "ethical behavior rooted in human relationships", it means duty to bringing up a child by ethical behavior. But I can not understand the part "due to their Christian beliefs". I think that parents give a chance to take high education for their child even if they are not Christian. Or Christian parents ought to give a high education for their child? And is it related to that you are a Christian or not? Sorry, I want to inquire into your personal matter, but I can not understand the situation perfectly even now.😌

NANGI

ありがとう 南木さん!

また日本語や内容が間違っていたりもっと書きたかったらそれも追加や訂正してね。

ちょっともしかしたら、文章では「ほかの宗教」とか「学歴」ような事についてなにも言うつもりではなかったのです。この場合は「人間関係の道徳的行為に根ざしている」という表現の意味で(は?)「道徳的行為は個人的な感情や状況などによって違う」ような感じをするつもりでした。一方では「キリスト教の信仰に根ざしている」という表現のことで(は?)「道徳的行為は不変」ような感じをしたかったのです。最後に「信仰に根ざしている道徳的行為」ですが「キリスト教」だけではなくて一般的に何もかも宗教に入っています。

:)

Last edited:
こんにちわ Elizabethさん!

Elizabethさんの日本語の勉強に役に立つように、日本語で書いてみます。もしわからない言葉があったら、気軽に聞いてくださいね。

わたしは、Elizabethさんの質問している主旨がわかったとおもいます。Elizabethさんが質問しているのは、
「人間関係による行為は感情や状況によって異なるか?、そして宗教的な道徳は感情や状況に左右されないか?」
これが、Elizabethさんの質問している内容だと思います。

結論から言うと、すべての価値観や道徳は、感情や状況によって異なります。たとえば、友達にうそをつくのは悪いことです。しかし、もし本当のことを言ってしまうと友達の心が傷つくならば、友達にうそをつくかもしれません。それは友達を助けるためです。これは悪いことではありません。人間関係の行為は、感情や状況によって異なります。

もし人を殺してしまったら、それは悪いことです。しかし、もし警察官が、子供を殺そうとした殺人犯を鉄砲で撃ってしまった場合はどうでしょう? 警察官が殺人犯を撃たなければ、子供が殺されていました。この場合、警察官は悪いことをしたといえるでしょうか? 人を殺すことは、道徳的に悪いことです。しかし、感情や状況によって異なります。

もしわたしが間違っていたら、教えてください。

南木

結論から言うと、すべての価値観や道徳は、感情や状況によって異なります。たとえば、友達にうそをつくのは悪いことです。しかし、もし本当のことを言ってしまうと友達の心が傷つくならば、友達にうそをつくかもしれません。それは友達を助けるためです。これは悪いことではありません。人間関係の行為は、感情や状況によって異なります。[/B]

南木さんの考え方は典型的な日本人のかな?なんとなく私のとちょっと違うと思います。理想的にほとんどの宗教によるとすべての人間を平等に大事に扱ってくれたほうがいいのです。例ではもし警察官が、子供ではなくて老人か南木さんの親戚を殺そうとした少年殺人犯を鉄砲で撃ってしまった場合はどうでしょう?宗教的な道徳によるとそれぞれの状況は同じそうと思います。めいめいの人間はみんなの苦労に平等な同情したほうがいいのでしょうね。

エリザベス

こんにちわ Elizabethさん!

わたしの返事が、典型的な日本人の返事なのかどうかは、わたしにはわかりません。でも、現在の日本人は宗教に対してとても悪いイメージを持っているので、否定的な返事が返ってくるかもしれませんね。

Elizabethさんの考え方には、とても賛成できます。本来人間は、みんな平等に扱われるべきなのです。ただし、人間の感情はときどきそれに反対します。すべての人間が自分の感情を制御できたら、とても平和な世界になると思います。しかし人間は、道徳よりも感情や欲望を満足させることを大切にすることがあります。

世界が平和になるのは、まだまだ難しそうです。:cry:

南木

こんにちわ Elizabethさん!

わたしの返事が、典型的な日本人の返事なのかどうかは、わたしにはわかりません。でも、現在の日本人は宗教に対してとても悪いイメージを持っているので、否定的な返事が返ってくるかもしれませんね。

現在の日本人は宗教に対してとても悪いイメージを持っているので私の前のメールで書いてみたようなアメリカ人に比べて「行為は感情や状況によって異なる」という事と思います。例:もし電車で老人より上司・上役の足の指を踏まれたらもっと悪いと思いますか?

Elizabethさんの考え方には、とても賛成できます。本来人間は、みんな平等に扱われるべきなのです。ただし、人間の感情はときどきそれに反対します。すべての人間が自分の感情を制御できたら、とても平和な世界になると思います。しかし人間は、道徳よりも感情や欲望を満足させることを大切にすることがあります。

言いにくいんですが多分言葉から誤解が生じないようにさらに努力しなければならないよ。たとえば、英語での古代のギリシャ語から[love]という言葉には意味がたくさん来ました。英語の言葉は「人類のためとか家族のとか自分自身のため」という親類のloveによって違う。日本語でも同じですか?
その場合は日本語で神様が人類をlovesという文章はなんといいますか?

世界が平和になるのは、まだまだ難しそうです。

逆説ですね. 神様でも世界が絶対に平和になりもないのを知っています。
でもできるだけ限りを続きなくてはいけないのでしょう。

例:もし電車で老人より上司・上役の足の指を踏まれたらもっと悪いと思いますか?
悪いと思わない。ざまあみろ!:emblaugh:
でも、老人の足の指が踏まれるのはかわいそう。老人は転んで怪我をするかもしれない。老人は大切にしなければならない。
I don't think wrong. Serves him right!:roflmao:
But I pity the old man if he is trod on his toe. He may get serious injury in a fall. We must respect for the old.

たとえば、英語での古代のギリシャ語から[love]という言葉には意味がたくさん来ました。
英語の言葉は「人類のためとか家族のとか自分自身のため」という親類のloveによって違う。
日本語でも同じですか?

同じだと思います。日本には、「愛」という言葉があります。この言葉は、英語の[love]と同じように使われます。😍
I think it is the same as Japan. There is a word "Ai" in Japan. "Ai" has the same meaning with "love" in Japanese.😍

その場合は日本語で神様が人類をlovesという文章はなんといいますか?

「神は人類を愛し給う」と言います。:)
It is "Kami ha Jinrui wo Aishi Tamau" in Japanese.🙇

NANGI

悪いと思わない。ざまあみろ!
でも、老人の足の指が踏まれるのはかわいそう。老人は転んで怪我をするかもしれない。老人は大切にしなければならない。
I don't think wrong. Serves him right!
But I pity the old man if he is trod on his toe. He may get serious injury in a fall. We must respect for the old.
ありがとう 南木さん!

あなたはもっと正確に日本語に直して欲しいのかな?:p

英語の{Would you feel worse if you stepped on your bosses toe than on the toe of an elderly person, on the subway?)という文章を言いたかったのです。

同じだと思います。日本には、「愛」という言葉があります。この言葉は、英語の[love]と同じように使われます。
I think it is the same as Japan. There is a word "Ai" in Japan. "Ai" has the same meaning with "love" in Japanese.😍

「神は人類を愛し給う」と言います。:
It is "Kami ha Jinrui wo Aishi Tamau" in Japanese.🙇

NANGI

ありがとう 南木さん!

日本語には[love]という意味が沢山あるそうですね。でも辞書によると少なくとも[romantic/sexual attraction]とほとんど同じような意味があるらしいと思います。英語でもいろいろな種類の愛に[love]という一つだけの言葉を使うけれどももちろん「愛」には沢山の感じがあります。たとえば、ギリシャ語の聖書から[love]という言葉は「神は人類を愛し給う」とか「人間は人類を愛する」とか「恋愛」ような意味によって異なるのでした。

とにかく間はみんな平等に扱われるべきなのですけれども家族に愛を少なくなるという事に必要ではないと思います。ただし「love]という言葉は感じが広くのでちょっと複雑でしょうね。😌

あなたはもっと正確に日本語に直して欲しいのかな?

Ok, "Would you feel worse if you stepped on your bosses toe than on the toe of an elderly person, on the subway?" is 「あなたがもし電車の中で上司の足を踏んでしまったなら、老人の足を踏んだ時よりも罪悪感を感じますか?」in Japanese.

I feel strong worse if I stepped on the toe of an elderly person, more than my bosses.
わたしは老人の足を踏んでしまうほうが、上司の足を踏むのより悪いと思います。

And in this sentence "あなたはもっと正確に日本語に直して欲しいのかな?" is "あなたにもっと正確な日本語に直して欲しいです" more correctly.

ただし「love]という言葉は感じが広くのでちょっと複雑でしょうね。

日本では、たくさんの人(特に若い)が「love」という言葉知っていますよ。なぜなら、この言葉は日本の歌詞の中で頻繁に使われますから。でも、どれだけの人が「love」と言う言葉の意味を知っているのかは疑問です。
また、日本の「愛」と「恋」はもっと理解が難しいと思います。だって、どちらも英語に直すと「love」となりますから。😌

In Japan, a lot of people(especially young) know this word "love", because this word is used in Japanese lyrics frequently. But I don't know how many people understand the meaning of this word "love" correctly.
I think that Japanese "Ai" and "Koi" is more difficult to understand, because both of words means "love" in Japanese.😌

南木

In Japan, a lot of people(especially young) know this word "love", because this word is used in Japanese lyrics frequently. But I don't know how many people understand the meaning of this word "love" correctly.
I think that Japanese "Ai" and "Koi" is more difficult to understand, because both of words means "love" in Japanese.😌

南木
ありがとうございました 南木さん! では喜んで。

その上「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使いますか?

面白いね、二人で英語と日本語の勉強していますね。;)

エリザベス

その上「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使いますか?

もちろんです! 日本人にとって、もっとも日常で使う"love"に近い言葉は、「好き」です。日本人は、日常会話の中では、「愛」も"love"も使いません。だから、わたしも「好き」と言う言葉をよく使います。また、「かわいがる」という言葉もよく使います。でも、「かわいがる」は"pet"に意味が近いと思います。

Yes, of course! In Japan, the nearest meaning of the word "love" is a "suki" in daily life. The Japanese never use "Ai" and "love" in daily life. And I use "Suki" frequently. I use "Kawaigaru" too. But I think "Kawaigaru" is near to "pet".

NANGI

もちろんです! 日本人にとって、もっとも日常で使う"love"に近い言葉は、「好き」です。日本人は、日常会話の中では、「愛」も"love"も使いません。だから、わたしも「好き」と言う言葉をよく使います。また、「かわいがる」という言葉もよく使います。でも、「かわいがる」は"pet"に意味が近いと思います。

Yes, of course! In Japan, the nearest meaning of the word "love" is a "suki" in daily life. The Japanese never use "Ai" and "love" in daily life. And I use "Suki" frequently. I use "Kawaigaru" too. But I think "Kawaigaru" is near to "pet".

NANGI
ありがとう。 じゃあね、多分こんな場合は「「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使わないじゃない」という文章のほうがいいでしょうか?

そして[romantic/sexual love]に「大好き」と「愛」とほとんど同じような意味かなと思っている?

エリザベス

じゃあね、多分こんな場合は「「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使わないじゃない」という文章のほうがいいでしょうか?

"好き"という言葉はよく使うので、「"かわいがる"はあまり使わない」という文章になりますね。
I think "Kawaigaru ha Amari Tsukawanai" is better because the Japanese use "(Dai)Suki" frequently.

そして[romantic/sexual love]に「大好き」と「愛」とほとんど同じような意味かなと思っている?

"romantic"は"恋"です。でも、"sexual love"は"愛"です。でも、明確な区別は難しいです。場合によって違いますね。
"Romantic" is "Koi". But "Sexual love" is "Ai". Of course it is difficult to make a clear distinction between "Koi" and "Ai".:p

NANGI

"好き"という言葉はよく使うので、「"かわいがる"はあまり使わない」という文章になりますね。
I think "Kawaigaru ha Amari Tsukawanai" is better because the Japanese use "(Dai)Suki" frequently.
ありがとう、南木さん!

でも「「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使わないじゃない」
という文章は内容より文法のほうが自然になりましたか?
訂正してくださいね。
エリザベス

「「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もよく使わないじゃない」という文章は内容より文法のほうが自然になりましたか?
文法は間違っていません。でも、少しだけ表現がおかしいです。:sorry:

「...じゃない」という表現は、相手に強く同意を求める場合に使われます。これでは、相手の意見に対して、反対することが難しくなります。
だから、この場合は「「(大)好き」も「かわいがる」もあまり使わないですか?」が正しいと思います。これなら、とても自然な質問になると思います。

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom