What's new

Doctoral program

Fanny2

後輩
5 Oct 2009
Hi,
I would like to do my doctor/phD in Japan, but I really don`t know where to start. I hold a Diploma in Biology, so my question is, whether I have to enroll in a Graduate school? Or is this only neccesary if you hold a Master degree? I am also confused about the scholarships. If you make your pHD in Germany, you normally ask at a certain institute for free positions and when you get the admission, you are paid by the university...Can anyone give me some tips, where I have to start?
Thanks alot!

Hi,
I would like to do my doctor/phD in Japan, but I really don`t know where to start. I hold a Diploma in Biology, so my question is, whether I have to enroll in a Graduate school? Or is this only neccesary if you hold a Master degree? I am also confused about the scholarships. If you make your pHD in Germany, you normally ask at a certain institute for free positions and when you get the admission, you are paid by the university...Can anyone give me some tips, where I have to start?
Thanks alot!
A doctorate in what area? You can't just "enroll" in graduate school. You will need an exceptional knowledge of Japanese and Kanji. You need to pass entrance exams which are some of the most difficult to pass to get in, some people don't ever pass after years of studing past high school.

Hi,
Or is this only neccesary if you hold a Master degree? I am also confused about the scholarships.

Umm, you have to already have a Masters degree before you can even start working on a Ph.D.
So what you should be asking is how can I get into grad school in Japan in order to start working on my Masters and eventually attain my Ph.D?
I really don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure it involves finding the right institution, an application, a student visa, a test (the GRE), an interview, and a ton of money.

So assuming you would hopefully already know this much, are you trying to find out what schools might be right for you? If so you might want to post more specifically about the kind of school and program you are looking for.

are you saying that you only have an undergraduate degree? if so, then you have to enter the masters course first.

both masters course and PhD course students must "enroll" into the graduate school.

like fustrateddave said, you cant just sign up. you have to get acceptance from a professor. But contrary to what dave said, you dont always need japanese language skills(especially in science, the japanese student are suppose to know english) and sometimes the entrance exam is just a formality. My lab has 4 doctoral students and they only know how to say konnichiha, and they just wrote their names on the entrance exam.

I believe you are talking about "stipends", not scholarships. giving stipends to graduate students is common in America too. but im not exactly sure about stipends in japan, but i know there are several students here they are receiving stipends from the lab, not the school...

are you saying that you only have an undergraduate degree? if so, then you have to enter the masters course first.

both masters course and PhD course students must "enroll" into the graduate school.

like fustrateddave said, you cant just sign up. you have to get acceptance from a professor. But contrary to what dave said, you dont always need japanese language skills(especially in science, the japanese student are suppose to know english) and sometimes the entrance exam is just a formality. My lab has 4 doctoral students and they only know how to say konnichiha, and they just wrote their names on the entrance exam.

I believe you are talking about "stipends", not scholarships. giving stipends to graduate students is common in America too. but im not exactly sure about stipends in japan, but i know there are several students here they are receiving stipends from the lab, not the school...
Which is why I asked her what area she wanted to do her doctorate in. The rest was just a general statement, b/c even though some sciences may not need any Japanese, there are a lot more that inevitably will.

And just a side note, speaking and understanding Japanese even in a subject where it is not required will make things a little easier.

Thanks so far. I want to do my phd in Molecular Biology. I already have a Diploma, so all I have to do for getting a Phd, is to do laboratory work for some years (3?), write the thesis and a final examination. So I don`t need to do courses in order to get credit points, I thought.

You will need an exceptional knowledge of Japanese and Kanji.
Depends on the school and program. At mine, you need neither.

you have to already have a Masters degree before you can even start working on a Ph.D.
Same answer as above.

I already have a Diploma, so all I have to do for getting a Phd, is to do laboratory work for some years (3?), write the thesis and a final examination. So I don`t need to do courses in order to get credit points, I thought.
Not necessarily. Case by case. Look at schools that have the major field you are interested in. See what their language and entrance requirements are. See what it takes to get the degree. I just proofread my school's handbook for graduate students, and there were a ton of options, some including research alone and some including course credits.

Back
Top Bottom