What's new

Do you use MacIntosh in Japan?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
I would like to post this thread as I am interested in hearing about Mac used by non Japanese in Japan. I admit I am a Mac user in the states and I would like to keep this even when I were in Japan. I would like to hear the actual user experience as I am not sure how Japan is Mac-friendly.
Note: I am not against Microsoft (I have Windows notebooks already) just in case this thread does not attract anti-Mac crowds.

I'm not sure what "mac-friendly" could mean, but there are many Mac users and I've heard that Mac is very popular among the people in the designing field. (I believe Mac is much advanced in that field and spec is more suitable for a very heavy software for CAD, 3D designing, etc.)

Though I myself is using Windows, many of my friends are using Mac.
There are several Apple Store in Japan, and if you go to one of those mega- lectronics shops (such as Sakuraya, Yodobashi, Bic, etc.) you'll find a special sales floor or space for Apple products (not only machines but many software and so on as well, and of course, iPod!)

Last edited:
I should have defined what is Mac-friendly more clearly. It is:
main electronic or computer retailers carry Mac related products (if not the actual Macintosh computer as there are Apple Stores in Japan already)
mid- or large-size organizations are not afraid of using Mac (typically in USA, many companies shy away from Mac because IT departments are tuned in with Windows)
frequent sighting of people who are using Mac

I know Apple's market share is very small compared to Windows.

I think many design studiios use Mac. I use mine when I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and other graphic and web site creation programs.

I have a Mac which I got here last year. As undrentide said, in addition to the Apple stores you can easily get Mac/Apple stuff in the larger electronics stores. I have a point card membership at Sakuraya so I got my Mac there instead of the Apple store and it got me a nice discount on an electronic dictionary later. However, the general electronics stores don't do support for Apple products and if you need repairs you'll need to go to an Apple store or call Apple for mail arrangements.

I haven't yet bought any software for my Mac here. It came bundled with the basics and I've been relying on freeware sites for the rest. There's plenty of software available in stores, but it's a little expensive and I'm not sure they come with English menus as an option. Does anyone know for sure? I can use Japanese software for ordinary things but Photoshop in Japanese is out of my league. I get the feeling that if I decide to splurge on it, I'd better do it as a download from Adobe's site.

Japan is very Mac Friendly! Actually they are more Mac Friendly then most stores in the USA.

My wife's design company is a Mac only company, even the business side.

I can use Japanese software for ordinary things but Photoshop in Japanese is out of my league. I get the feeling that if I decide to splurge on it, I'd better do it as a download from Adobe's site.
I think Adobe can give you an option to pick either Japanese or English version of CS2. If I am going to buy Adobe software in Japan, I think I will stick with English language versions as menu makes more sense to me. I think there are some awkward translation for the sake of just making it in Japanese for the Japanese language versions. Does anyone know if CS2 bought in USA can be activated in Japan or not?

There's no reason you would be unable to activate your software, as it can be done on the internet.

It depends on the store, but I suppose Apple's market share in Japan is reflected by the availability of Apple products here. Major stores carry a wide variety of products, and I actually just visited an Apple store recently. In general I would say that Japan is at least on par with America for being "mac-friendly," though an overwhelming majority of the computers here seem to be windows machines.

Also, for the record, while Macs seem appealing to designers and "creative types," they are no better suited for design than a windows platform. But that's beside the point ;)

If you brought US-spec Macs/Apple Cinema Display to Japan, would you encounter any problem? I know all Macs are now compatible as far as the power issue (100 to 220 v, 50 to 60 Hz). My ACDs have the 3-prong plug (the one with the ground). I heard there is the plug converter so that a 3-prong plug can be used for a 2-prong plug socket.

The headache of actually taking an lcd monitor overseas aside, If your problem is just eliminating the grounding prong, there are plenty of adapters available for that.

The headache of actually taking an lcd monitor overseas aside, If your problem is just eliminating the grounding prong, there are plenty of adapters available for that.
I have not see the adapters for the ground-equipped prong. Are they sold at local electronic retail stores in Japan? I think US-spec MacBook Pro, MacBook, and PowerBook's plugs can be used in Japan as they are just regular polarized 2-prong plug.

They are not polarized, as that would mean that one of the prongs is wider than the other, and that they would still not fit into a majority of the outlets here.

Adapters for eliminating the ground and converting to a non-polarized plug can be found at just about any electronic store for around 300-400 yen or less. I saw the same item in Taiwan for the equivalent of about 100 yen, but it's a bit out of the way to go for an adapter.

They are not polarized, as that would mean that one of the prongs is wider than the other, and that they would still not fit into a majority of the outlets here.
I forgot about the fact that Japan's tyical power outlet uses non-polarized plugs. I just checked my PBs/MBP's OEM AD adapters and am glad to find they are non polarized (which means I can use them without any plug adapter in Japan).
Good to know I can get the adapters in the local retail stores in Japan for my US-spec electronic goods whith 3-prong plugs.

Back
Top Bottom