What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Do you have to be N1 in order to speak to native Japanese people?

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
You don't have to be any JLPT level to speak to native Japanese speakers. The more fluent you are, the more interesting and deeper of a conversation you can have, but there's nothing stopping a relative beginner from having a conversation with the words that they know.

I mean, isn't this obvious? Isn't this true of any language?

Muz1234

Sempai
Reaction score
Every time I see Japanese people in public, I always hesitate whether to talk to them or just walk past by...

mdchachi

Reaction score
Every time I see Japanese people in public, I always hesitate whether to talk to them or just walk past by...
No. N1 is more of a written test. So in reality you can be illiterate and still speak Japanese. Just like people in your country (and mine) who can't read and write their native languages at all but they can still have a conversation.

I would encourage you not to talk to random Japanese people without some reason. It's awkward and uncomfortable for them. What kind of job do you have? If you have a service job where you would naturally interact with people that would be best. Then you'd have a good reason to talk to them.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I learned my lesson about talking to "Japanese" strangers when I saw some here in Maine , LOL. I was so excited to get a chance to use my Japanese , I went up to them and spoke Japanese. Turned out they were Korean and highly insulted I thought they were Japanese. In English , they reamed my butt out for being so ignorant and they were right. I never did it again.

Top Bottom