What's new

Do You Believe In Online Relationships?

MeiWAkU

後輩
9 Dec 2003
Hi...er...just wondering if anyone here believes in online relationships...(not that I do, just curious,) so please respond. thanks! :)

ONLY IF I KNOW I WILL "NEVER" .....

meet the person face to face ! You never know for sure who the person on the other end is ! You can't tell age, sex, location of person, or any important facts for forming a relationship. They can post pictures that aren't really what they say. They could be in prison for rape & murder & you won't know that. A guy talking to a young girl about love could be a 60 year old pervert. Living in a fantasy world on the PC is one thing, but letting it into your real life could be a BIG BAD MISTAKE !!

Frank

🙂

I agree with Frank. He's completely right about it all. The person you're talking to can claim to be only let's say, 18, when in real life they're 45. It's just sick and not right.

You guys act like I am stupid. I know all of the risks, and no, I am not in one, I am just curious about what you think!

Ok, ok. I do not believe in online relationships. Thank you guys for posting your opinion. Sorry about before...I just got carried away. by the way, DarkDreams, I've meant to pm you. :D

I don't think you are stupid. I have made a few really good friends online and have met them. Luckily for me, they were who they really said they were. Nine years ago, when the internet was still fairly new, I met an ex boyfriend of mine online. He moved from OK to NC to be closer to me and we were together for a long time.

Not everyone online is a crazed lunatic. The internet is, however, a good place for crazed lunatics(the bad kind) to hide and disguise themselves. You just have to be cautious and use common sense.

I find that dealing with the details of life in regards to putting up with other humans, is that its easier if you just assume that nobody is trustworthy. Its safer that way.

As for online relationships in terms of romantically, I'd have to say I'm an advocate for it. Provided the two are realistic about it, AND meet more than once a year, and longer than a day or so.

i agree with winter, i met a girl on the net. of course i had talked to her many times on the phone before i decided to fly over and visit her. but she was who she said she was and all that good stuff.

eto... yeah, agree with everybody here...
it's too bad that there are some ppl who use internet for such things... it makes it inda not so safe...

Depends on the type of relationship. I have lots of friends all around the world and most of them are outside my country.
I have met most of them through the Internet, and I can say that without it I would probably never knew them, their culture, their way of living and that they are cool.

Now if you are talking about more deep relationships I totally advise against it. Distance can be a pain and if you base your relationship in an artificial environment that doesn't account for the chemistry that happens when two people meet in real life...
She/He might be a great person, gorgeous-looking, but without chemistry, well...

As for the Internet being populated with perverts and criminals, guess what? They also exist in real life. Just keep your common sense and suspect of Iraqi ex-president daughters asking for your help in getting their hands on some millions of dollars.

:)

Relationships?

The internet is a great tool.
Like all tools, it can be abused.

Me? I use the internet primarily to keep in touch with friends I've made traveling. Much easier to email or chat than arrange phoning someone in my case.

My personal opinion is that relationships on the net can be friendly, courteous, helpful, respectful, etc. etc., but romantic???? NO!!!!
Romance is a spark that happens in private up close and personnel!!! Not at the touch of a button(keyboard), or switched on and off (like broadband), romance has to fluent, and appreciated by the recipient, as I remarked earlier, up close and personal, pushing buttons could never replace an unexpected glace, smile, gesture etc., e-mails/instant messages could never replace a gentle squeeze of a hand or a neck rub!!! Lolol😌 as you can guess!! My answer has to be no!!🙂

I don't agree with you, Debs. One can be very romantic with the written word. Doesn't matter whether it's written with a pencil, typewriter or computer.

It's true though that before you have met for real there's always a little apprehension, but once that crucial moment has passed, you're free to be as romantic through the net as you possibly can.

I've met my girlfriend from Thailand through the internet. Distance is indeed a pain, so my girlfriend decided to come live with me in Holland. We've been living happily together for about 3 years now.

Originally posted by Twisted

I've met my girlfriend from Thailand through the internet. Distance is indeed a pain, so my girlfriend decided to come live with me in Holland. We've been living happily together for about 3 years now.

Thats awesome.

My feeling always was, people can become too serious too fast on the internet. Then, they meet and within a short time even marry (I know of at least two cases where this happened). I guess I feel e-mail and chatting gives us a false feeling of really knowing the other without spending real time with them and finding out about their quirks , faults etc.

Anyway, it seems Twisted has proven me wrong in his case anyway! That's great !:p

@twisted🙂 my sincere apologies:eek: soo glad that all the horror stories are not true!.
I have not absolutely no reason to pass judgement on this kind of (on-line)dating, I"v had no experience what so ever, no close relatives that have had either, please excuse my ignorance.

😌 But maybe I think it wouldn't work for me!!! 🙂 I need to know a person for a long time before I can trust them with my emotions/feelings/expectations / and above all my Life!!!😊 yes, I"m a romantic at heart, a very giving one, and I expect nothing less in return!!! , I should not pass judgement on those of us who are fortunate to find love at a keyboard, hell I wish my life was that easy!!! (no disrespect intended)🙂 I wished I didn't have to spend 11 years getting to know a person up close and personal hahahaha before I trusted them, lolol:p but that's just me!!!!👏 :D

hmmm,online relationship?is it the begining of a new era of love using computer technology?!?!sounds good........

Originally posted by deborah gormley
I need to know a person for a long time before I can trust them with my emotions/feelings/expectations / and above all my Life

Well, oddly a lot of people find it easier to do this with a stranger. The internet (still) gives a person a feeling of anonimity and you can basicly say anything to anyone, because nobody expects to meet that person in real life anyway. Well, at least up until the point where both start to feel this internet-relationship is becoming more then just a distant friendship.

I agree with you, Twisted. I think you can develop a deeper relationship online than you can in "real life" in some cases. It's hard to explain if you haven't been in that situation before.

"meet the person face to face ! You never know for sure who the person on the other end is ! You can't tell age, sex, location of person, or any important facts for forming a relationship. They can post pictures that aren't really what they say. They could be in prison for rape & murder & you won't know that. A guy talking to a young girl about love could be a 60 year old pervert. Living in a fantasy world on the PC is one thing, but letting it into your real life could be a BIG BAD MISTAKE !!"

Ok well I guess this is true if you are an idiot but if someone is going to have a relationship online I would guess they would know what they are doing.

If you know what you are doing lots of ways to look into stuff.
1 IP trackers.
2 webcam "ask them to do something specific on it like write your name on a piece of paper ect."
3 call them, phone calls are cheap!
4 be smart, if someone is lieing you can normaly find out over time.
5 don't trust people untell you feel 100% sure.

Personaly, I have never been in a relationship past friendship with someone online but I did meet my current girlfriend online... Of corse we live together now and didnt do anything "kinky" online.

Back
Top Bottom