What's new

Do men actually use "ore" to refer to themselves in real life?

fixelbrumpf

先輩
16 Sep 2003
Until now, I know four kinds of Japanese: manga/anime Japanese, textbook Japanese, business/office Japanese and poetic Japanese to some extent.

When I listen to my Japanese co-workers, (even the younger ones, who are in their twenties) I only catch the occasional "watashi", even when they're talking rather casually. Yesterday, my boss (I'd say he's in his forties) talked about "boku no hon" and jokingly referred to himself as "boku-sama".

So is using ore to refer to one's (male) self manga speak after all? What's your take on this "issue"? Thanks in advance.

I have happily been "ore" since 1990, when I started driving trucks in Japan. In normal casual conversation, almost 100% of the men I know in Japan are "ore" almost 100% of the time.

Thanks. Hmmm. So I take it he obviously uses "ore" at home or when he's conversing with friends or something? He's a pretty laid-back, friendly and easy-going guy who likes cracking jokes so I was kind of surprised he didn't use "ore".

I guess there's a fine line between actual informal Japanese and anime speak like "てめえー、 俺の所為じゃねー!!!"

I have no idea whether a particular individual of your acquaintance may or may not use it in some different situation. The best thing to do is to just ask the folks you work with.

A lot of this can depend on situation/circumstance and socioeconomic factors. Remember, practically all the people I know are my fellow blue-collar workers. The way we talk and the way office people talk will vary somewhat.

"ore" is used especially among young people. However, it is sometimes used to adults for friendly conversations. "ore" is never used in formal occasions. For men, "watashi", "watakushi", or "boku" is used. It seems people older than 40 or 45 years old are more likely to use "boku" when addressing themselves, although young ones tend to use "watashi" or "watakushi."

(I don't really know why...but most people I've met talk this way.)

openup said:
"ore" is used especially among young people. However, it is sometimes used to adults for friendly conversations. "ore" is never used in formal occasions. For men, "watashi", "watakushi", or "boku" is used. It seems people older than 40 or 45 years old are more likely to use "boku" when addressing themselves, although young ones tend to use "watashi" or "watakushi."

(I don't really know why...but most people I've met talk this way.)
That's interesting about the age distinction. It was my impression that "watashi" had such a feminine connotation it was rarely used by men (even watakushi is heard more) ; clearly that doesn't necessarily hold for the younger set.

Back
Top Bottom