What's new

Do Japan Christmas songs exist ?

Well, I know of 'Istuka no Merry Xmas' (i think that's right) that I've heard verious Jpop/rock artists sing.

Acually, there are a lot of Christmas songs that were created by Japanese artists. Some of those are based off of the tune like Silent Night, Jingle Bells, etc.

I know there's a rendition of "Silent Night" done in English by Hamasaki Ayumi floating out there somewhere--I have a MP3 of it, but can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

Originally posted by oniichan55
I know there's a rendition of "Silent Night" done in English by Hamasaki Ayumi floating out there somewhere--I have a MP3 of it, but can't for the life of me remember where I got it.
The only Silent Night from Ayu I've heard of is the duet with Gackt. Is there a male singer also including background audience applauses from the file?

Originally posted by Keiichi
The only Silent Night from Ayu I've heard of is the duet with Gackt. Is there a male singer also including background audience applauses from the file?
yep, that's the one. Track tag didn't say Gackt, but now that I think about it, the filename does.

Originally posted by Jemi
i didn think they celebrated christmas in the orient..well beats me:eek:

A Japanese friend of mine said once that they don't celebrate Christmas as such in the biblical sense, there's no public holiday for it either. But they like giving pressents, and they like festivities.

About every major artist has released a Christmas song in his / her past. Gackt has "December Love Song" (or "12-gatsu no love song"), Kick the Can Crew has "Christmas Eve Rap", Yuki Koyanagi has released a whole Christmas cover-album, which contains a stunning version of "Silent Night". There's too much to list.

Basicly every ballad released in december or november can be considered a Christmas song. Actually it's better referred to as a season song, because a lot of them are based on the whole winter season rather then just Christmas. But they all give you that warm holiday feeling. :)

There are tons, especially if you go back a bit. Here窶冱 the tip of the iceberg:

Asaka Yui: 10gatsu no Christmas
Saito Yuki: Ave Maria
Shimada Nami: Twinkle Christmas
Minamino Yoko: Koibito no Christmas; Merry Christmas; Dear Christmas, Eve no Koibito; 6pm Dec 24; Koibitotachi no Christmas; Sentimental Holy Night (in fact, Yoko recorded no less than 3 full Christmas albums)
Nishimura Tomomi: Mr. Snowman ("Tororin" also recorded a full Christmas album "Fantasy Story")
Coco: The First Snow
Watanabe Marina: Panorama de Merry Christmas; White Snow Light; Snow Bird
Rakutenshi: Jingle Bell Rock

That窶冱 just what I could come up with off the top of my head.

Also, even though they wouldn窶冲 release them as singles, a lot of idols would sing Christmas songs on Music TV shows during late December.

Like many people have already said, there really are too many Japanese Christmas-themed songs to mention... every year, I do a J-Pop Christmas radio show and can fill a full three-hour timeslot of music... just look around and you're sure to find something.

I didn't see anyone mention this one, but I thought that Yumi Matsutoya (Yuming) had a modern J-Pop Christmas classic called "Koibito ga Santa Claus"... I know I have a cover of it on a Sailor Moon album, and also I remember seeing Morning Musume sing this song on a Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ winter special...

Back
Top Bottom