What's new

Dilema between Visting Kobe Chinatown & Universal Studios

JoeyLim

後輩
12 Aug 2007
this is my first trip to Japan with my hubby and we are unable to make a decision bet. visting the Universal Studios or to explore the Kobe Chinatown aka "Nankin-machi" & Habourland. (our tour package only allows us to select one places of interest)

Can someone advise me which is worth visiting ... ☝

I would say that if you're interested in Japan, the better of the two 'not-so-Japanese' places would yet be Kobe's Chinatown.

If you're into having a great and exciting time, all in the atmosphere of a theme park a al 'USA' then, go for Universal Studios.

That's about all I can say. The rest would be your choice, really. I wish you the best !! OH and by the way, WELCOME to JREF !! MM

If you still have a lot of energy I would recommend you to go to the crowded USJ, but if you are a bit tired and just want an easy walking/shopping day than Kobe is great for that.

Hi there,

I did an Osaka-Kobe vacation recently and here's my small review of it! I was living in Tokyo last year and my girlfriend at the time and I decided to go somewhere not too far away that had many things to do, and settled on the same area it appears you're going to.

Universal studios is a theme park. It would be fun as a diversion, to see how the Japanese do a theme park vs. the West, to experience the rides and attractions, etc. But, at the end of it all, you're at a theme park. So, that means line-ups (some excruciatingly long), high priced food, etc. Don't kid yourself, there's nothing special about the USJ experience aside from the fact that you're surrounded by Japanese people and all the shows like Waterworld and even ET speak Japanese. It's one of those things that was cool to do as a diversion FROM Japan when I was living there, as opposed to something I'd wanna spend limited time doing while visiting Japan, if that makes any sense.

Kobe on the other hand.. I can show you some of my photos.. it's a nice place. Since the earthquake they've obviously had to rebuild a great deal in a short amount of time so it's a very 'western' looking place. It really resembles the waterfront area here in Toronto and probably other major cities. Modern architecture, shops, lots of diversions, etc. That being said, it doesnt disappoint (in my humble opinion). There's a great buffet restaurant, regularly scheduled boatcruises around the port area, lots of interesting shops and things between the main station (Sannomiya I think its called) and the port area. If you've got the time, a short taxi ride will even take you to their earthquake memorial museum which is a great place to learn about and reflect on the tragic earthquake of 1995 which killed 6,000 people.

Personally I can see the merit in doing both but you may walk away from USJ going 'well why the heck did we go there, we could have done that in the States'. I cannot honestly says USJ is a must-see above and beyond anything else. But even if Kobe isn't blow-your-socks-off exciting, its still more authentic and visually stimulating in my opinion.

some teasers:
untitled13-1.jpg

untitled22-1.jpg

untitled32-1.jpg

Buffet restaurant in this building (photo from April 2007, it should still be there!)
untitled4-1.jpg

If you were from the U.S., I would say skip Universal Studios Japan and go to the (real) one in Hollywood instead.

A lot of friends from the U.S. will go to Disneyland Tokyo which perplexes me as they can go to the ones in Anaheim or Florida. Why go to Japan to see something that you can do here? (I would make an exception for Disney Sea.)

But, since you're not from the U.S. (I don't know what age group you're in or your interests), you may enjoy USF. Still, I would personally opt for Kobe. Be prepared money-wise if you opt for USF.

If it were me then I'd avoid universal studios. If you want US culture, go to the US. If you are going to Japan, then see what Japan has to offer.

I wasn't that impressed with USJ when I visited, but then I guess that sort of thing is done much better in the States (the ET ride was funny, though!)

When I brought my parents to Japan, the evening they spent milling about the streets in Kobe in Sannomiya (to the north - where the antique shops and little grocers are, on the way to Kitano) was one of their very best experiences (in a holiday filled with what were, I assure you from the looks on their faces, the times of their lives!)

Personally, I'd say go for Kobe. Harbo(u)rland is a lovely spot, and you're only twenty minutes walk from where my parents were, and a number of other spots...

Kobe rocks!!

mos :)

By the way, if you're spending time in Osaka, please DO visit the Minami (literally 'South') area near Namba. It's got a lot of great eateries, shops, etc., lots of eye candy and places to enjoy yourself. Osaka has a central loop line much like Tokyo's Yamanote, so getting around is easy and Namba is very easy to access.

Osaka also has a grea aquarium at (I *think*) Osakasa station. Along the road to the aquarium there are a few great okonomiyaki and tacoyaki shops as well. The aquarium is also easily accessible. The two locations together make for a great early afternoon into evening excursion.

As b_K says, the Kaiyukan aquarium and Tempozan harbo(u?!)r area are well worth a day trip - I spent many happy hours there! The aquarium itself is fantastic, there are places to eat and interesting gift shops in the market, and a large ferris wheel (used to be the biggest in the world I think) which offers fantastic night views. :)

I think the nearest station is Osaka-ko, anyway here's a link to all the info:

http://www.kaiyukan.com/eng/location/index.htm

If you are going to Kobe, yes, I would suggest Mosaic in the Harbor area and Sannomiya. I also went to Akashi to see the Akashi-Kaikyo bridge and the museum for it there, but that is the engineer in me speaking. In Osaka, be sure to visit Umeda, Shinsaibashi and Namba. I spent most of my time in Osaka around Umeda, if you want a great view, you should visit the sky building there. It costs like 800 yen to get to the top, but is worth it in my opinion. If you have the time to venture a bit further west, you should visit himeji-jyo. Osaka-jyo isn't so great since it feels like a modernized building on the inside (they basically tore out its innards and made it a modern museum), not like a historic castle. Himeji-jyo is the best castle in Japan IMHO.

Skip USJ if you have been to the one in america before, I wasn't so impressed with it. I wasn't so impressed with the Chinatown in Kobe either for some reason.... I guess it is because I have been to the one in San Fransisco many many times, which is gigantic. There is some good food there though.

If you get off at Sannomiya, you can hit up Sannomiya, Chinatown, and Harbor Land all in a row. Just walk from Sannomiya to Harborland, and Chinatown is on the way there.

EDIT: yeah, about the santa maria in your pic bakaKanadajin, that really suprised me when I saw it (well, its replica) there.

Back
Top Bottom