What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Difference between saying "サウンドトラック" and "サウンドトラック盤?"

Reaction score
I'm aware that "サウンドトラック" would just be "soundtrack," but does the addition of "盤" at the end alter its meaning in some way? I was curious because a CD I own had "サウンドトラック盤" written on it which struck me as odd since every other Japanese CD I've seen with "soundtrack" in its title has had it written as "サウンドトラック."

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
盤 is basically just the Japanese word for "record" or "disc."

The difference between the two phrasings is about as significant as the difference between "Soundtrack" and "Soundtrack Album/Disc/Whatever".

Reaction score
That's strange because the book that came with this CD says "サウンドトラック盤CD" on it (as opposed to the disc itself which drops the "CD" part.) Wouldn't that be like saying "Soundtrack CD CD" then?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
CD would be added there to make clear that it's CD, not a record(サウンドトラック盤レコード).

Reaction score
I see, that makes sense. Just for future reference, when translating "サウンドトラック盤" into English do you think it would be best to just go with "Soundtrack," or does the addition of "盤" really make enough of a difference to warrant distinguishing? Looking at examples on VGMDB.net I see that some people translated albums with "サウンドトラック盤" in their titles as just "Soundtrack," but others went with "Soundtrack-ban" or "Soundtrack Disc" as well.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, the difference has already been explained here, so it's up to you to determine whether it's relevant or worth distinguishing to your audience. Without knowing more, I'd say it wouldn't be important unless multiple similarly-named (but distinct) products exist for the the same game soundtrack and you need to differentiate between them for archival purposes.

"Soundtrack-ban" sounds ridiculous to me; there's no need to use a Japanese word (or suffix, whatever) to refer to the concept of a disc. "Soundtrack Disc" is fine, but probably not necessary unless there's a need to distinguish it from non-disc versions of the soundtrack.

As a general rule, the best translation is going to depend on what information you need to convey to your audience, not simply a literal analysis of the Japanese.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom