What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Difference between Japanese and Korean sushi

Aerain

先輩
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Japanese and Korean sushi, I use to eat a lot of "Korean sushis" because my mother, in my youth, prepared me sushis often for diner, and I noticed that she never put any fishes in em unlike Japanese sushis. I really would like to know, being really curious about it.

kenasto

先輩
Reaction score
There is actually no Korean sushi. It is an adaption of sushi in Japan to Korean food culture and taste.
Here is an article which describes a little more about it:
chowhound.com/topics/379384

NekoMama7

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Rice of Korean version of norimaki (gimbop) is seasoned with sesame oil and salt, I think. Usually include takuan, imitation crab (kani kamaboko), spinich, etc. I like getting them at Korean markets. Probably influenced by futomaki.

There are a variety of Japanese dishes transformed into Korean dishes. If you go to Koreatown, you may find restaurants that serve Korean version of Japanese dishes.

On a separate note, there are lots of "Japanese" or "sushi" restaurants owned and operated by Koreans in the U.S. I find that many of them skimp on the quality of foods, especially rice. They usually advertise on low priced sushi. When I happen to end up with one of these restaurants, I usually stick with chicken teriyaki or bulgoki. They're great at BBQ's!

D

dark_secrester

Sushi isn't just fish! Fish sushi is just the best!

Yes, I believe that Korean sushi is just adapted.

Top Bottom