What's new

Did you use the relocation service company when you move to Japan?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
To those people who moved into Japan from other countries or who moved out of Japan to other countries, did you hire the relocation service provider? Or, did you do the move by yourself? If you have hired a company or agent to do the relocation for you, which company would you recommend? There are many websites which sells relocation service; but, it is difficult to determine which one is good in Japan.

Depends how much stuff you have. I used the United State Postal Service.

I used two suitcases when I moved to Japan. When I relocated within the country, I used my car.

I don't know much about moving companies, but I have heard two things about Japanese ones. 1) They are expensive. 2) They do an excellent job.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer more info.

For my case, I don't think 2 suite cases can hold the stuffs I am thinking about taking with me. 5 notebook computers, Apple Cinema Displays (20" and 23"), several external hardrive, 100's of DVD movies, 20 to 30 books, some suites and clothing.
I think Postal Service would be a good choice for my DVDs, CDs, and books. I am more concerned about the computer equipment as I don't want any damage to it.
But, even a single person can accumulate goods over the course of a few years in a foreign country. Do people just sell those items in that country rather than taking them with him/her?

Why in God's name you need five notebook computers is your business, but be prepared to pay a tariff on all those electronic goodies.

Inquire at the post office about the special rate for books. It's incredibly cheap, but you are limited to about 10 or 11 pounds per package. When I sent my books the rate was about a dollar per pound. I took so many packages of books that eventually they just had me drive around to the loading docks and bring the stuff in the back way on a hand cart.

I lived in Japan for about 5 years and I brought back the 2 suitcases I orginally had plus two or three boxes. I sold pretty much everything that I aquired except for some Japanese Language books, pimp electronic dictionary, and the DVD's I bought while in Japan. l threw away most of my work clothes and donated my ties to my coworkers.

If/When I go back I will bring 2-3 bags and a notebook computer. Everything else I would pick up as I needed it.

Why in God's name you need five notebook computers is your business, but be prepared to pay a tariff on all those electronic goodies.
Yeah, I know. I have some issues with computers. I used to have 7 notebooks but I trimmed them down to 5. Now I am itching to get Apple MacPro. I already have 3 Apple notebooks.

Anyway, I thought there is no tax if you are brining in the personal effects into the country. Did you pay duty on your own personal items you brought with you when you entered Japan?

You shouldn't have to pay tax. I have never had to pay anything and i brought new and used things on multiple occasions.

"Shouldn't" has to has nothing to do it, unfortunately. Whether you get hit up for a tariff or not is largely a matter of luck. They can't inspect every single package, so some that should by rights get hit with a tariff get through. I import tobacco products pretty regularly and I have about a 1 in 10 rate for Customs slapping a tariff on me.

In the past I have also imported my own old camera equipment and been assessed a tariff on it. The problem was that my mother, who mailed the package, wrote some outrageous value on the customs declaration form, thinking that was necessary in order to insure the package for that much with the post office. Customs took one look at the amount and held the package for some equally outrageous tariff. We managed to call them and explain that the camera equipment was my own personal used gear and had nowhere near the value written on the form. They let it come on through without the tariff then. Lesson: Remember that you can always contest a tariff assessment.

I also got hit with a tariff on some clothing I imported.

These days, they sometimes tack a 5% consumption tax on as well. Why in God's name they think they're entitled to it is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Also, notice that I didn't say he would definitely get hit with the tariff. I said he should be prepared to pay it.

Back
Top Bottom