What's new

Did NOVA pay its teachers yet?

mr.sumo.snr

Gavin Gives Italian Ducks
19 Jul 2004
Does anyone know if NOVA coughed up the dough today? The teachers were promised October 19th.

--

Reminds me of my previous employer, who had a nasty habit of being late with our salaries. At the end of the year he paid us part of our December salary and announced that we would be off until near the middle of January. Upon which news 2/3 of the drivers (okay...so that only meant four people) quit en masse, which effectively spelled the end of the company.

There's bound to come a point where a critical mass of Nova teachers just don't show up and they'll be forced to close their doors.

Most of my friends still working for NOVA are very well set up in Japan so they are just waiting for the company to go out of business. That way they get unemployeement right away instead of waiting a couple months. I feel sorry for the newbies that are living paycheck to paycheck and in NOVA apartments.

Yes well I guess i am a newbie and in a way I'm up **** creek. However in reference to wilde's quote above it is all good...I know I'm going to stay and the only way I'll leave is if I'm beaten, sedated and dragged across the pacific.

The company may in fact fold. What's interesting in the interim is how the Japanese government sits idly by and watch some 350,000 plus of it's citizens (a sizable voting block) loose significant money for up front paid lessons. Meanwhile the owner of NOVA..that lying cockroach..hides out and have his cronies send midnight faxes to the branches ..after the fact with his pathetic promises to make things 'right' pay salaries and oh how sorry he is for the ..get this..inconvenience. He finds two month of not paying staff and instructors, inconvenient. I think what's needed here is the international press to become involved. Then the government would no longer shelter this owner and do something albeit too late for most. Unemployment is only a last resort, helpful, yes! but should not be driven into accepting employment because of the criminal acts of one man.

Lets not forget that NOVA has been dodging tax obligations for years (shakaihoken, NHI, and only 'recently' began paying koyohoken fees).

The company is going to fold - there has been too little movement at the top, which is where the changes need to be made. Its just a matter of how many people it takes down with it - employees and customers alike.

The newest pay date they've given is tomorrow. I'll let you know if it happens, but don't count on it.:eek:

Yes, keep us posted!! If I could leave now I would go open a school in Fukuoka. I know I could get a gang of students from Nova, and there are plenty of teachers that need work. The smaller English school owners must love this.

Said it before I'll say it again, I'm so glad I got out when I did. But, for me it's a shame to see Nova die. For all its evils I have to say, a lot of good teaching went on at my little school and when I think about it I was largely unaffected by the BS that occurred at larger branches. I'm not defending their practices but I guess I just don't have the same (justified) visceral hatred some have for Nova.

I hope the Japanese who study at language schools see this as a step in the RIGHT direction and are happier knowing that only reputable schools will be permitted to operate. Perhaps it will cause them to develop a more renewed sense of trust and interest in their teachers and lessons. I'd hate for Japanese society at large to become disenfranchised with the whole English thing. Many of the students genuinely enjoyed it provided the quality was there.

Please forgive me for butting in, but I just had somehow always thought that novas were the endings, of suns that lost it anyway. . .

Maybe they had chosen the wrong name? Geos...now that sounds more down to earth!

(hee, hee, hee...Amerikan joke...cold as ice....sorry...hee, hee, hee....I'm just trying to make someone's day better ! maybe put a smile on their face !!)

@bakaKanadajin: I don't like the company per say but I did like the J-Staff and the students. Had a blast working there. All companies have their BS to deal with, even the best of them. I think NOVA's model was great but they just didn't put enough importance in the students and staff. They were too concerned with expanding and over selling packages.

So how are the bank accounts looking? People been paid? Not paid? Are we all going to go get in the life rafts or are we going to continue to believe that the good ol' ship NOVA is unsinkable?

"English-language school chain Nova Corp., saddled with debts estimated at close to ¥44 billion as of the end of July, filed for bankruptcy protection Friday."

Just what kind of bankruptcy protections can NOVA get? Immunity from creditors?

I am gathering that the staff didn't get paid again. Right?

Chapter 11 by the sound of things - they might come back as a "new" NOVA, or they might be forced to liquidate if their debts outweigh their assets. This is where the fun begins 😌

A union representing foreign instructors working for Nova has said the firm has delayed wage payments to some 2,000 Japanese employees since July and to about 4,000 foreign instructors since September. October wage payments have been delayed indefinitely beyond the scheduled payment date of Oct. 15

Full detailed online news article ....

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20071026z1.html

Back
Top Bottom