What's new

Cute racism a la japonaise ? OFFTOPIC about Chinese food

Gaijin 06

先輩
16 Oct 2005
Maciamo said:
Whatever these Japanese say, do you doubt the word of my Chinese guide, born and raised in China, who said that there is also raw fish in Chinese food, not just in Japanese restaurant in China ? She was not speaking about ancient times.

Was this the same guide who lead you to believe that dim sum isn't a Cantonese dish?

Or did you get that misapphrension by yourself?

Gaijin 06 said:
Was this the same guide who lead you to believe that dim sum isn't a Cantonese dish?

Or did you get that misapphrension by yourself?

Did I ever say that dim sum were not Cantonese ? I might have said that they were also part of typical Shanghainese cuisine. The word "dim sum" is in fact Cantonese, but the Japanese "shoronpou" comes from Shanghainese or Mandarin. When you will be better informed after Chinese cuisine, let me know. Or maybe do you prefer to decide what my opinion is, or what I said when I actually never said it, as you have done 3x in 24h.

Maciamo said:
Did I ever say that dim sum were not Cantonese ? I might have said that they were also part of typical Shanghainese cuisine. The word "dim sum" is in fact Cantonese, but the Japanese "shoronpou" comes from Shanghainese or Mandarin. When you will be better informed after Chinese cuisine, let me know. Or maybe do you prefer to decide what my opinion is, or what I said when I actually never said it, as you have done 3x in 24h.

You said

Maciamo said:
By the way, many of the good Chinese restaurants in Belgium are held by Taiwanese people. Maybe that is why it is different from other Chinese ? Yet, I'd say that the cooking style is closer to Cantonese. No dim sum, no jiaozi, no men, no Imperial cuisine...

When you are willing to admit you are wrong, let us all know. The discussion forum might be a better place then!

Gaijin 06 said:
When you are willing to admit you are wrong, let us all know. The discussion forum might be a better place then!

You are are again pretending to know better what I meant than myself !

I first said that Belgian Chinese was closer to Cantonese cuisine than any other Chinese cusine. Then I added that many owner were Taiwanese, but still remained more Cantonese in style. So it's like Taiwanese-Cantonese adapted for the Belgian market. Then I added that there were no dim sum, no jiaozi, no men, no Imperial cuisine... in Belgian Chinese. NOT in Cantonese or Taiwanese. It's obvious that you can find dim sum, jiaozi and men all over China and Taiwan. I may not have expressed myself very clearly though. But in the same thread I had explained the difference between "Western" Chinese and Chinese in Japan and China, and said that I had never seen jiaozi (gyoza) and ramen/tantanmen in Europe, and only saw "dim sum" in the UK, while all these were some of the most common kind of Chinese food both in China and Japan.

Maybe I should just have inverted the last two sentences, to make clear that the "no dim sum..." part referred to the Belgian restaurants I was talking about, and not Cantonese food :

Maciamo edited version said:
By the way, many of the good Chinese restaurants in Belgium are held by Taiwanese people. Maybe that is why it is different from other Chinese ? No dim sum, no jiaozi, no men, no Imperial cuisine... Yet, I'd say that the cooking style is closer to Cantonese.

It still does not mean that Taiwanese food does not have dim sum, etc. The "?" about the nature of Taiwanese food shows that I do not pronounce myself on the issue (it's too difficult to decide what to define as "Taiwanese" food, as modern Taiwanese as imported food from all over the continent with the Kuomintang, and traditional Taiwanese can be divided in Chinese vs aborigenial).

Now I have to explain what I meant in other threads in protracted offtopics to satisfy your lack of reading/understanding abilities. What a pain you are ! Remember that if I say "tangerine" I never mean "mandarine", even if many people can't make the difference (just a metaphorical example).

Maciamo said:
Now I have to explain what I meant in other threads in protracted offtopics to satisfy your lack of reading/understanding abilities. What a pain you are ! Remember that if I say "tangerine" I never mean "mandarine", even if many people can't make the difference (just a metaphorical example).

Oh get stuffed. I'm fed up of you - this board has plenty of interesting posts and posters yet I can't abide your smug, holier-than-thou, never-wrong attitude. Why bother on a discussion board if you are unwilling to discuss because YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT, OH GOD MACIAMO.

Ban me if you like, or give me more insidious little "negative rep" points - I'm not interested in staying at JREF.

Go ahead and leave Japan if you will - somehow I think you'll have problems being accepted whichever country you're in.

Well, if you ask for it. One nuisance removed. You criticise and insult a lot, but you have not been able to make any constructive contribution to the forum in 92 posts since you joined.

Maciamo said:
I asked our Chinese guide in Beijing this month, and "raw fish"; although less common than in Japan, is also part of traditional Chinese cuisine. They don't call it ナステオナスi (sushi) or ナスhツ身 (sashimi) but ツ青カ窶ケ窶コ窶「テ (shengyupian)
Much less common. According to my girlfriend ツ青カ窶ケ窶コ窶「テ is not eaten raw but in hot pot. Really raw fish you'll probably only find in "Japanese" restaurants. & even then the vast majority of Chinese wouldn't dare to eat it (not entirely unjustified as it seems).

Oh get stuffed. I'm fed up of you - this board has plenty of interesting posts and posters yet I can't abide your smug, holier-than-thou, never-wrong attitude. Why bother on a discussion board if you are unwilling to discuss because YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT, OH GOD MACIAMO.
Ban me if you like, or give me more insidious little "negative rep" points - I'm not interested in staying at JREF.
Go ahead and leave Japan if you will - somehow I think you'll have problems being accepted whichever country you're in.

I just stumbled back on JREF after a couple of years.... has Maciamo buggered off? Is it safe to return?

Cheers
G 06.

He is now the admin for the Eupedia forum. Like Jericho Desu, I have not seen him on Japan Forum since being decommissioned. It all happened during the forum separation fiasco. Some members ended up leaving.

Back
Top Bottom