What's new

Curriculum Standards for online applications

Zeshen

Registered
29 Jan 2015
Hello, I didn't find any post like this on this forum so I'm starting one that could be also helpful for other people or future reference.

I just graduated from uni and I'm planning to look for jobs in Japan. I already lived in Japan in Kyoto and I know the language a little bit. I was looking for some guidelines to follow for building my CV. .
I do not currently resides in Japan so my intention is to send CVs online looking for jobs and visa sponsorship.

In some countries the photo on the CV is required and in some is not. So I would like to know these kind of things. Shall I put my pjotograph in the CV? Shall I also put personal details such as date of birth, nationality, etc..

Do I require to make a japanese standard cv like the EU model for example or is the creative version of the cv enough and effective in Japan too? I work in the movie and entertainment industry so usually these kind of creative CVs are acceptable.

If there is a specific format to follow please link templates. But above all I would like to know what information is a must-have and what is optional (e.g. photo, date of birth, nationality, age etcc).

Thank you very much.

Put whatever information you normally would put for your home country:
name
mailing address
email address
phone contact
education
work experience

Nobody in Japan expects you to do more than that, but if you do add more, then it won't hurt. Japanese employers will want to know whether you are eligible for a work visa, so your education section will take care of that. Feel free to add your nationality, age (date of birth), and photo (head and shoulders picture in professional clothing). Don't write paragraphs or long sentences for education or work experience. Concise bullet points are easier to read.

I wouldn't be too creative in the format or layout. Online submissions might require copy/paste, so just use normal font with no italic or bold or underline. It might be all right to have a second format with those things just in case the online submission is an attachment to email, not a copy/paste to an application text box.

Put whatever information you normally would put for your home country:
name
mailing address
email address
phone contact
education
work experience

Nobody in Japan expects you to do more than that, but if you do add more, then it won't hurt. Japanese employers will want to know whether you are eligible for a work visa, so your education section will take care of that. Feel free to add your nationality, age (date of birth), and photo (head and shoulders picture in professional clothing). Don't write paragraphs or long sentences for education or work experience. Concise bullet points are easier to read.

I wouldn't be too creative in the format or layout. Online submissions might require copy/paste, so just use normal font with no italic or bold or underline. It might be all right to have a second format with those things just in case the online submission is an attachment to email, not a copy/paste to an application text box.
Tank you for your answer. I usually keep everything in one page with less information as possible but revelant to what I need to communicate such as past work experience in inverse chronological order (at least 3), education (high school and university from when to when and what I studied). The rest is profile, skills and some personal details.

My biggest concern was the photo as I heard is mandatory or in some cases they will just discard the CV if there's no photo (even if you the skills they are looking for). Same if there is the photo for other countries like UK but I'm talking about Japan.

Japanese people send pictures on the Japanese resume (rirekisho). That's standard practice. You'll have to read the advertisements for jobs that you want in order to know whether they want a picture in your case. Sending one will not hurt your chances.

Back
Top Bottom