What's new

Curious about some things I found

MrFrog

Registered
13 Mar 2016
I recently bought a WW2 map case and found some items inside the bag that Im curious about I cant read any Japanese so Im pretty lost and would appreciate any assistance.

What i found was
1. some kind of a plastic wrapper (nothing that can be identified)
2. Cardboard card with writing possibly a business card
3. Small paper pouch with writing and stamps containing two coins and two 10 sen bank notes.
  • The bank notes seem to be early post war 1947-52 and share a number that might be the serial so potentially fake.
  • The coins seem oxidized with white residue so potentially war era aluminum coins.
PS: I also included pictures of markings that were on the map case

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
Almost all pictures, except 024.jpg, are upside down or turned 90 degrees to the left.

The piece of paper is an extra official gazette. The date written on it is May 3, 1950.

The years of the two coins are 1942 and 1943.

The business card
Hatsuki Village Agricultural Cooperative
Matsumoto Iwao
the address of the office and his home: Simodono, Hatsuki Village, Isa Distinct
(the present Isa City, Kagoshima Prefecture)

the leather one
023.jpg
Kōtsuhara, Hatsuki Village, Isa Distinct, Kagoshima Prefecture
Mr.Mastumoto or Mastumoto clan
024.jpg
Matsumoto

Almost all pictures, except 024.jpg, are upside down or turned 90 degrees to the left.

The piece of paper is an extra official gazette. The date written on it is May 3, 1950.

The years of the two coins are 1942 and 1943.

The business card
Hatsuki Village Agricultural Cooperative
Matsumoto Iwao
the address of the office and his home: Simodono, Hatsuki Village, Isa Distinct
(the present Isa City, Kagoshima Prefecture)

the leather one
023.jpg
Kōtsuhara, Hatsuki Village, Isa Distinct, Kagoshima Prefecture
Mr.Mastumoto or Mastumoto clan
024.jpg
Matsumoto
Thanks Toritoribe and sorry for the upside down pics. If anyone knows for sure if the matching numbers on the banknotes are the serial please let me know.

PS: In the unlikely event you need something translated from Icelandic just give me a shout.

If anyone knows for sure if the matching numbers on the banknotes are the serial please let me know.
なお、現在の記番号でいうところの数字の部分は、省略されています。そのため、昔の紙幣は同じ記番号の物が90万枚あります。(現在の記番号でいう所の数字の部分が省略されているため)
鳩が写っている10銭の札で番号が1515となっているのですが、ネットでは5桁... - Yahoo!知恵袋

An answerer in the site linked above says that the number just shows the group number and the printing factory, so it's not a serial number in the strict sense. He says there are 900 thousands banknotes of the same number for those kind of banknotes.
According to this site, your banknotes (18613) were printed at Itabashi Printing Factory, Toppan Printing Co., Ltd. in 1949.

I guess there was a good reason for them to upgrade to new bank notes
The use of the monetary unit "sen" was stopped in 1953.

Mike didn't say why he thought your bills were fake but they look like the ones in the picture he found to me.

Back
Top Bottom