What's new

'culturally mixed' Asian guys

Dream Time

後輩
20 Jul 2003
how do ladies [Asian or non-Asian] feel about 'culturally mixed' Asian guys? :?

I came to Vancouver when I was ten years old, I've adopted to the Western culture, I think in English and feel more comfortable speaking in English ,except when talking to my family members and some Chinese friends

I like things from different cultures , food,music and all sort of stuffs
in fact I am planning to learn Spanish and hope to visit those countries

things that I am not-too-Chinese : I don't eat chicken feet ,pig feet and all those animal livers, I don't talk in Hong Kong slangs infact sometimes I could hardly understand the slangs, my hobbies and tastes are somehow different than many folks who likes to stick to their own 'Chinese style' or only hangout with their own Chinese groups

I do have some Chinese-ness in me though

I don't really fit in these Asian guys stereotypes:
unathletic? I am a basketball maniac and I also love sports like hockey,football and baseball
geeky,nerdy? computer,science,mechanics and all those studies stuff bores me and I don't like studying
control freak? I don't like controlling people
unexpressive? I am a musician
sexless? having sex is great, making love is the best

since I am culturally mixed of West and Asian
I think I will be a boyfriend/husband carrying the charateristics of the two cultures,I hope it is a good mix,lol :)

I think it's fine Dream_Time. It shows that a dumb stereotype isn't true.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you anyways. When I went to El Salvador, I had a hard time fitting in. And the food is quite different too. I'm also not like your average stereotyped Latin girl. I don't wear gigantic hoop earrings, I don't cake on the make up (I usually don't wear it) I don't wear booty jeans or short skirts, I don't use tiny purses, and I pretty much don't look like a Hispanic girl. I usually wear t-shirts and baggy jeans. (not your average J-Lo type girl ;)) Most people confuse me with being Filipino, Japanese, Hawaiian or European.
But I don't care.
I'm just proud to be me.
It's good to be aware of all types of cultures.

I'm not really mixed but I like a lot of other coltures. my step brother is mixed. I don't care he's my bro just the same. I like all diffrent types of colters & diffrent things. I can only mainly speach Einglish. I picked up some frazes in spanish, French & latin (sad that that's all I remember from my school courses), but I want to learn Japanese.... & possibly Chinese but I would have to have a chinese person teach it to me. sniffle it just seems so hard. but any way, sosiety gave me a beating at least threw middle school & part of high school. well I came to a conclushon: it doesn't matter what the world thinks. just be yourself & live your own life. live how you want to & love who you want to (so long as they love you & don't miss treat you). I think I'd also like to travel around the world some day too 🙂

Talk about mixed. My dad is Shoshone and my mom is Chinese. we never really fit into either "group" - the reason I found out was bigotry unfortuantely. I was a half breed and "how dare she (/he) marry him (/her)?" We just ended up going our on way in the world. Stereotypes irk me.

hum...kinda confusing though...
I have quite a chinese mentality (at least that's what my friends say), but a french culture, thus it's sometimes hard for me to adapt to the situation...
For example in the european way of thinking marriage seems to be a bad thing, and from what I see around me a couple in europe usually lasts 2weeks to 2 months while lot of the asian people I know stay quite longer and eventually get married...
sometimes when I see this kind of contradictions I dunno anymore what to think about it...

Hmm..now that depends on the person and who they like. I'm trying to think how culture plays in this. It's late right now and I'm trying really hard to think. >_< Someone tag me on this.

dreamer said:
hum...kinda confusing though...
I have quite a chinese mentality (at least that's what my friends say), but a french culture, thus it's sometimes hard for me to adapt to the situation...
For example in the european way of thinking marriage seems to be a bad thing, and from what I see around me a couple in europe usually lasts 2weeks to 2 months while lot of the asian people I know stay quite longer and eventually get married...
sometimes when I see this kind of contradictions I dunno anymore what to think about it...

I think Asian people seems to be like...we are quite serious about relationships , and many of us aren't the kind of people that would want to have 4,5 lovers before marriage, and I think we take marriage more seriously than the Western couples....but then again it depends on each individuals

Dream Time said:
I think Asian people seems to be like...we are quite serious about relationships , and many of us aren't the kind of people that would want to have 4,5 lovers before marriage, and I think we take marriage more seriously than the Western couples....but then again it depends on each individuals

Yeah... you're right, but this is not the only difference ^^
Even when it comes to act and make decisions, I feel a difference between french peoples and chinese ones :?

Well, i guess i'm sort of like you Dream_Time. I came to Canada a lot younger than you however! and I am a lot more westernized. I hardely speak japanese which angers my dad a lil bit. I only speak chinese, when my mom makes me.

Asian things I do:
I listen to chinese and Japanese music
I love Wu Xia films, modern chinese films, and anime
Our family celebrates chinese new year.
I go to all the oriental parties

Non-stereotypical stuff-
I don't just only hang out with asian people
I also don't eat chicken feet, pig feet and all those animal livers, but my lil brother does lolx :D
I am not part of a triad or the yakuza
and "no i don't know karate or any other form of martial arts"
I am definitely more artistic, but I am good at math!!!

Anyuni_Nakashima said:
I also don't eat chicken feet, pig feet and all those animal livers, but my lil brother does lolx :D

:D :D
That's a good one :)

Back
Top Bottom