What's new

Cultural Study help.

Supra7

後輩
4 Mar 2008
Hello I am doing a design system influenced by cultural studies. I chose Japanese culture, and I wanted to focus on anime, but the problem was anime is more of a pop culture which I can't do. I am thinking of changing my cultural study from anime to Samurai. I have to come up with colors for that culture, patterns, shapes, and motives. I also have to find out how it influences Japanese culture and a relevance in todays life. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

What is "doing a design system"? Is that computer program or are you taking some sort of college course and have to make a report, or something?

Yes its for a Graphic design class. We have to create a logo, brochure, banner, and calender of events for a cultural institute in LA. This would be a Japanese-cultural center for me. I have to build a 3d model of this center, this is kind of hard since I don't know where to start.:?

karakuriya.com is for sale | HugeDomains
The website above explains a lot about karakuri dolls in the edo.
International Netsuke Society - Home
There are many Netsuke lovers outside Japan.
No doubt is that the Edo era was in the feudalism, but the ruling elite, samurai stayed poor. And the shogunate tried to control extravagance of ordinary people, but people tried to find loop holes such as 48 browns and 100 grays.
These innovation by ordinary people was what Karl Marx did not know about the Edo.
They were all gray in the site below.
http://www.kimono28.com/100nezu.htm

list of cultural events. Probably best to look up "Japanese culture" or "traditions" or "holidays" or "festivals" and go from whatever strikes your fancy.
cherry blossom season/viewing
fall colors viewing
hot springs bathing
national holidays
Seattle's expo center has a couple of these events with various doings.

Other cultural points to consider:
shrine/temple architecture
kimonos/yukatas
Mt.Fuji
ninja
samurai
sumo
geisha
home architecture (tatami mats, shoji screens, tokanoma)
ikebana
castle architecture

Back
Top Bottom