What's new

Country music fans unite!

d3jake

C++ Programmer
9 Mar 2005
(NOTE:This is NOT a thread for snide remarks that in any way smash\bash country musicm if you want to do that, feel free to make your own thread and let them rip!)

That aside... This is a thread for all who like coiuntry music. That doesn't mean you have to be engrossed in it EVERY day, it also is for those who may only like one or two songs.
I"ll start it off,
I happen to like all kinds, the old stuff, and music from Big and Rich, or Jason Aldean(sp?) I own the albums of Jonny Cash, one with 16 "hits" Toby Keith's (yes I like his music)"Unleashed" and Big & Rich's "Comin' to your City" I espically like "8th of November", "Caught Up in the Moment", and "The Freak Show"

Next?

I am very much into music, as mentioned at least once--and esp. on that 'Music' thread--so I'd say this is a good thread.

Now, I am not that much into country music, but the genre of music is not so much my concern--a good number, is a GOOD number !!

Though it may sound strange, however, while I was living in New Jersey, working as a sari (as in Indian female dress) salesperson, I almost always listened to country music--for some unexplaineable reason. [that was about the only time that I did so for a long period of time, regularly]

I cannot recall the names of the songs, though. I just remember some lines from most stuff. Yet, perhaps my most favorite artist is Willy Nelson. I played (on guitar) The Redheaded Stranger, My Heros have always been Cowboys (if that's the right title), On the Road Again, A Little Ole Fashion Karma, Pancho Villa, and a few others.

And I do like 'Friends in Low Places' by...who was that? Of course Johnny Cash (related to Mike?) has some good ole standards; and I still play 'What'cha got cooking' by...well, I just no good with who did what, and what the real name of the song is....I just play and sing them.... MM

"Friends In Low Places" was sung by Garth Brooks, currently in standby untill his youngest daughter graduates from collage or somesuch...

I"m not sure about Willie Nellson, I don't listen to him alot.

Unfortunately, country music died the day Gene Watson got a perm. All that crap afterwards is just Possum Pop.

I grew up with American pop/rock music and maybe don't qualify as a fan of "real" country music. 😊

Still, I've liked singers that are classified in the country music category. In the old days:
Glenn Campbell
Loretta Lynn
Crystal Gayle (loved her beauty!)
Roger Miller
Jim Croce
Charlie Rich (I loved "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World")

More recently:
Garth Brooks
Shania Twain
Reba McIntire
Leann Rimes (to me, she looks a lot like Shirley McLaine when she was young--I was a McLaine fan)
Jewel (is she a pop singer?)
(I'm inclined to like female vocalists...😌 )

I am really fond of the music by Hank Williams. I once saw a documentary about him and I was so fascinated that I bought a 2-cd-"best of"-collection the following day. A man who can write so many songs on sadness, loneliness and heartbreak deserves respect. There seems to be a Johnny Cash boom now (or maybe the boom is already over, I don't know), and I must say some of his songs are really good.

The thing I like about country music is that it's so simple. Especially in the case of Hank Williams' repetoire, all the songs revolve around a few combination of chords. And the fact that you can shout "YEAH" or "YEEHAR" whenever you feel some sort of recognition listening to the lyrics is also a major plus. 😊

I'm not sure that Jim Croce would fall into the country music catagory, but he could on some songs, I guess. I'll be doing his 'Lover's Cross' at my gig tomorrow night.

Oh yeah, that's who it was...I'm pretty sure...Hank Williams..."gonna throw my date book over the fence, buy a new one for five or ten cents, keep it till it's covered with age, 'cause I'm 'a writin' your name on every page!"

I like Emmy Lou (sp?) Harris, and do have her bests CD.

Mars Man said:
Oh yeah, that's who it was...I'm pretty sure...Hank Williams..."gonna throw my date book over the fence, buy a new one for five or ten cents, keep it till it's covered with age, 'cause I'm 'a writin' your name on every page!"
"I say, heeeeey good lookin'!! Whaaaaat you got cookin'? How about cookin' somethin' up with meeeeeeeee...!!" I told you, the man was a genius!! :D
I forgot to mention another legend in country, Dolly Parton!! Epigene's post reminded me.. Song like "Coat of many colors", "I will always love you" and above all "Jolene".. Classics!! Especially "Jolene".. The lyrics are amongst the best ever written; a woman desperately in love begs another woman to keep her hands off her man.. In the song she feels a burning love for her man, but simultaneously an admiration for the beauty of her rival, and expresses the hopelessness of her being in love.. A fine example of the power of emotion and what love can do to a human being. :(

leonmarino said:
"I say, heeeeey good lookin'!! Whaaaaat you got cookin'? How about cookin' somethin' up with meeeeeeeee...!!" I told you, the man was a genius!! :D

Thanks leonmarino san...that song is so fun to perform to boot !!

leonmarino said:
Especially "Jolene".. The lyrics are amongst the best ever written; a woman desperately in love begs another woman to keep her hands off her man.. In the song she feels a burning love for her man, but simultaneously an admiration for the beauty of her rival, and expresses the hopelessness of her being in love.. A fine example of the power of emotion and what love can do to a human being. :(

natuskashii....that brings back old memories !!!!! ii na....Oh it feels good !!:)

leonmarino said:

Ah, there is a difrence, there. That was orginally done by Hank Willams Sr., not Jr. Unless of coruse you were talking about him to begin with... :p

Though I have to say that although the *orginal* country knda fell to the wayside, I feel that it is a little better in the respect that it covers a FRIGGIN wide spectrum of music.
You got the kinda that'll rock you through the night, but then you have quieter songs that will hit your heart, I"m reminded of the story-song "Teddy Bear" I forget who it's from but if you were to reuqest it from your local country station they'd probably know it. I encourage you to listen to the music untill that one comes on if in fact they are going to play it. THe first time I heard it I had a couple tears running down my face.

d3jake said:
Ah, there is a difrence, there. That was orginally done by Hank Willams Sr., not Jr. Unless of coruse you were talking about him to begin with... :p

Of course I was talking about Hank Williams Sr. How could I not have been?

You got the kinda that'll rock you through the night,

Then call it "Rock".

I"m reminded of the story-song "Teddy Bear" I forget who it's from

Red Sovine. Best known for his appeal to truck drivers. Truck drivers love Red Sovine, but hate to listen to him except when they are alone. (Don't like to be seen with tears streaming down our faces).

d3jake said:
Yes, I meant Hank Williams Sr., not Jr. or even III. 😊

Mike Cash said:
Then call it "Rock".
Ah, but it's not. FOr refrence, I'm talking about Trace Adkin's "Honkytonkbadonkadonk" or Mongomery Gentry's "If you ever Stop Loving Me" , or "Hell Yeah"

d3jake said:
Ah, but it's not. FOr refrence, I'm talking about Trace Adkin's "Honkytonkbadonkadonk" or Mongomery Gentry's "If you ever Stop Loving Me" , or "Hell Yeah"

Who the hell are Trace Adkins and Montgomery Gentry and why the hell should I care?

Mike san...I understand your desire to clarify, I believe, but it might be a little more neighborly to phrase it a little lighter? If you know what I mean...

I don't know who they are either, but then again, as I said before, I'm so bad with names and such.

They're country music artists. They put out alot of good songs. I agree with MM, if you would like to know somehting, please be polite about it, there's no need for rudness.

d3jake said:
They're country music artists. They put out alot of good songs. I agree with MM, if you would like to know somehting, please be polite about it, there's no need for rudness.

They demonstrably are not country music artists. Please refer to post #4 in this thread.

Quod erat demonstratum

I am going by the current industry standard for this thread, NOT influenced by personal feelings toward the corrent state of it.
Please refer to the FIRST post of the thread, they may not be snide comments but you are bashing current country music.

d3jake said:
I am going by the current industry standard for this thread, NOT influenced by personal feelings toward the corrent state of it.
Please refer to the FIRST post of the thread, they may not be snide comments but you are bashing current country music.

I'm not bashing it. I'm denying its very existence.

I don't let corporations define cultural things for me.

[edit]

olive branch
P.M. me your snaily and I'll hook you up with more real country music than you can shake a stick at.

I'm with Mike. Really good country music has split the scene.

What is this they call country music now? It's awful.

Patsy Cline is my favorite. Show me any female country artist out there today who can sing like her. I don't think you can.

My favorite artists, besides Patsy, are Jim Reeves, George Jones, Buck Owens, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Roger Miller, Eddy Arnold, Don Williams, Dolly Parton, and even Loretta Lynn.

First he'll have to google who Patsy Cline is. Then he'll have to google the rest of the list. I only pray he doesn't have to google George Jones. That would be like a self-professed Christian having to google Jesus.

True.

I'm listening to Patsy - I Fall To Pieces now. If angels existed, they'd sound like her.

Ok, that was a little corny. Well, maybe not.

Mike Cash said:
First he'll have to google who Patsy Cline is. Then he'll have to google the rest of the list. I only pray he doesn't have to google George Jones.
You're so hilarious, if you would've read the first post you would've read that I like the old country too. Don't make assumptions, it doesn't suit you. 😊
That would be like a self-professed Christian having to google Jesus.
Ah ha, haha...
I'm not bashing it. I'm denying its very existence
Denying it's existance I think would qualify, thought I have to agree, partially. Some of the stuff that they've let in...shuold be put off in a seperate genre, but I think they just sayd "Hey! Country! Let's go f*** up that genre even further!" :eek:

As for e-mailing my home address, I'm hesitant to give my e-mail out to anybody, no offense.

Back
Top Bottom