What's new

Could this happen between two Japanese men?

Inksplat

Registered
25 Jun 2019
I'm just curious if this sort of thing could happen and if two Japanese men would react this way.

Let's say Man A is about to lose his house due to his inability to afford the payments. He spent frivolously because he wanted his son who lost his mother to have a good life. Man B has become a close friend of Man A, and the two are alone. Man B has money and offers to pay off Man A's debt. Man A refused at first but when Man B makes the point about his son and the fact that Man A is a single father he decides to accept only on the condition that Man B knows that he will absolutely pay him back as soon as he can. Man A hugs Man B at the end of this exchange.

I know hugging is not typically done, but I imagine in privacy if this sort of situation arises it may arise naturally.

Sounds like you might be writing a story or a book , LOL. Interesting to see what answers you will get. The friends I had when I lived in Japan all would have offered to help me if needed ,a lot of dependable and caring people.

Thanks guys! And yes it is a story idea I was playing around with. No hug, noted!

Now... I had another situational question, different group of people...

Five women are going out to lunch, all housewives. One is clearly the wealthiest, call her woman A. She buys all of her friends obscenely expensive omiyage, pretty much to flout her wealth. Then she goes on about her son who she says is doing very well and getting the best grades in the region on top of being on two sports teams, several clubs and going to cram school. When she leaves the table, all of the women break out talking about her behind her back.

Later in the story woman A's husband is fired and one of the woman at the table, call her woman B, calls her up to say sorry in a polite but malicious sort of way while drunk. Laughing with joy before she picks up the phone then pretending to be very sorry for woman A.

Is it rude to give someone a gift that is too expensive and then go on about how it really isn't that big of a deal because you have plenty of money? Especially if you know your friends aren't doing as good as you? :)

As a side story , I helped a friend with questions for her book by helping her with police work questions. She knew I had been a cop and I even gave her a good location in Massachusetts for the murder to take place. A few months latter her book was published , it was a spy novel that took place in Bulgaria , LOL. Guess I won't get a mention on the book cover.

Let me separate this into two bits.

Q1. Is it rude to give someone a gift that is too expensive and then go on about how it really isn't that big of a deal?

A1: Up to this point is fine. In fact, this is not that unusual in Japan.

Q2. Is it rude to give someone a gift that is too expensive and then go on about how it really isn't that big of a deal because you have plenty of money? Especially if you know your friends aren't doing as good as you?

A2: Yes

Thanks guys! And yes it is a story idea I was playing around with. No hug, noted!

Now... I had another situational question, different group of people...

Five women are going out to lunch, all housewives. One is clearly the wealthiest, call her woman A. She buys all of her friends obscenely expensive omiyage, pretty much to flout her wealth. Then she goes on about her son who she says is doing very well and getting the best grades in the region on top of being on two sports teams, several clubs and going to cram school. When she leaves the table, all of the women break out talking about her behind her back.

Later in the story woman A's husband is fired and one of the woman at the table, call her woman B, calls her up to say sorry in a polite but malicious sort of way while drunk. Laughing with joy before she picks up the phone then pretending to be very sorry for woman A.

Is it rude to give someone a gift that is too expensive and then go on about how it really isn't that big of a deal because you have plenty of money? Especially if you know your friends aren't doing as good as you? :)
The situation is plausible, especially the bit at the end with woman B pretending to be sorry for woman A. However, woman A would be more subtle about how she boasts about her son. If you're writing up the scene, you can have some fun with how woman A sneakily crowbars in references to her son without appearing to directly boast.

Back
Top Bottom