What's new

Could someone help me with the traditional origami crane?

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
I'm doing an origami project at school. I have to make some origamis. I know how to make a paper ballon that you can inflate, and a few other simple likes like a paper cup. I even got a origami book from the library, but it is too hard. I am having trouble building an origami with no hands on training. I've been to many, many origami websites on how to build it. After nearly 4 hours of trying to do it, I finally managed to make a crane base, or square base, where there are 2 layers of paper. But I cannot make it into a petal fold base. I cannot get the paper to fold properly into it. I pulled the bottom flap up, but this is as far as I can get. Can someone help me on this? Surely theres someone (especially japanese) who can build a traditional crane. Thank you

Hi!

I found instructions on folding a crane given in animation: http://www.origami-club.com/mukasikara/crane/anime-crane/index.html

I think you'll be able to figure out what the buttons are, but they say, starting from the top:
Start
Stop
Forward
Back
Fast

The part you mentioned is a little tricky, unless you see it done firsthand, but the animation gives a good visual idea of how it's done.

Hope it helps! 🙂

Hi Gold Coin Lover, have you managed to finish the crane? If you need any more help then I will ask my wife as she has just completed 1000 cranes for me as a present for our 1st wedding anniversary. At the time she swore she would never touch a piece of paper again but I am sure she will have some tips!
Alex

alenehan said:
Hi Gold Coin Lover, have you managed to finish the crane? If you need any more help then I will ask my wife as she has just completed 1000 cranes for me as a present for our 1st wedding anniversary. At the time she swore she would never touch a piece of paper again but I am sure she will have some tips!
Alex

Hi Alenehan, no I haven't been able to finish it :(
It is very hard to make for me. The only origami I know how to make is the paper cup and the water ballon where you inflate it from the waterbomb base.
I have a book for it, called "Origamis to shock and amaze" but they are very hard, and even the simpleist models are not simple. The flapping bird for example, is considered "Simple" when in reality it has many different bases you must complete, espesially the petal base which I just cannot understand how to do.

He described to to the petal base you must lift the bottom flap up all the way to the top crease, and then 'fold it in like a boat' which makes no sense. Whenever I try to fold it in I can't do it because there is paper in the way which won't fold in right, and I don't think I folded it right either. Here's what my square base look like, or premilinary base, which took me 3 hours to figure out (By the way, the only way I finished the water ballon was because I had on training instruction, hehe):
It has a right and left flap, two flaps under that, and then a final solid piece of sheet. This diamond shaped piece of art took me 3 hours at school trying to figure out! Ahh. I guess I will have to get another book on origami, hopefully it will be simplier. Please help if you can.

epigene said:
Hi!

I found instructions on folding a crane given in animation: http://www.origami-club.com/mukasikara/crane/anime-crane/index.html

I think you'll be able to figure out what the buttons are, but they say, starting from the top:
Start
Stop
Forward
Back
Fast

The part you mentioned is a little tricky, unless you see it done firsthand, but the animation gives a good visual idea of how it's done.

Hope it helps! 🙂

Thank you. It does help some I guess, although I still can't figure it out. I wanted the printed instructions, so I clicked near the bottom, but the instructions are in japanese! Could you translate the tricky part for me? Maybe it can help me some. I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Hi, hope these help,
Alex

A messsage from my wife:

Hi,
I think from what you say that you have got to number 1 on the first picture but are now stuck. The pictures should help, they are the ones I learnt from, but if you get stuck email me and I'll try and help.
First go from number 1 to 3 on the first picture, then from 4 to 7 on the second picture and this should give you what you need, the birdbase. The rest of the crane is explained in the third picture. Good luck and let me know if you get stuck!
Sarah

Thank you. I will read it.. My computer at school is so restricted I hope I can view the pictures. Thanks again. I will probably be stuck again, Sorry :(
I must get ready for school now. How did you learn from the book? Dang, I couldnt do it.

Ok I'm at school now. No, my computer at school cannot view the animation. I guess it doesn't have java flash installed or whatever the anime is using. I cannot install it because I do not have admin privilages. Please post the pictures of your book on how to make the preliminary base again, I found mine in my backpack, all crimbled up. Thank you

Ok I (finally) completed the petal fold. Is it correct to have 2 legs at the bottom and pointy thing in the middle? (Between the upper flap and the bottom flap)
I don't understand the directions (reverse fold this, etc).

Thank you, I finally finished it. Although it is hard for it to stand up straight. I can't make the beak very well..would you mind sending me one for comparison?

Back
Top Bottom