What's new

Could someone check my particles please

Coffeesan

先輩
6 Jul 2011
Basically I'm redoing my particle notes in a lot more detail with more "advanced" examples now my vocabulary has grown a little bit.

Koso こそ "Emphasising particle" and よ "Exclamation particle"

あれ こそ ピザ が でした よ

Would this make sense? Roughly means "THAT WAS a pizza!" pretty much emphasising that it was good/big/terrible etc. Also would the particle Yo よ at the end add to the emphasis, I read it acts in a similar way to that of a verbal exclamation mark.

Kara から "Start point identifer particle"

私 は 日本 から です

I'm from Japan

私 は 三時 から 五時 食べた

I ate from 3 to 5

私 は 車 から です

I came from/came out of a car. Not sure about this one as maybe its asking から to imply to much like "came".

Kara から with Made まで "Start-and-end combination"

私 は 二時 から 五時 まで 食べた

I ate from 2 to/till/until 5. Heard this combination was used to express the start and end points in travel or time.

Ni に "Time/Direction particle"

私 は 日本 に 行きます

I go to Japan.

六時 に サラダ と 魚 を 食べます

(I) eat salad and fish at 6. Wasnt sure about where to put To と presumed as it acts as an "and/with" conjunction it should go between the 2 food items then wo would go after the last food item to show what the verb is acting on, also the conjuction kinda implies they are both connected to what the verb is acting on anyway right?

ともだち に 私 は 行きます

I go to my friend.

明日 に ともだち が 行きます

(I) go to my friend tomorrow.

明日 に 十時ごぜん に ともだち が 行きます

I go to my friend tomorrow at 10am. Wasnt sure if this one made sense I felt "tomorrow" needed a Ni に but also thought the time needed one too because it needed to convey the "at" feeling. Can sentences have 2 に particles?

De で "Context particle"

はしで 食べます
(I) Eat with/using chopsticks

三時ごご で 食べます
Eat by 3pm

日本語 で 話す
Speak in Japanese

私 は 車 で 行きます
I go by car

Found で quite hard to understand. By, By way of, With, Using and In - All seem to be possible near literal meanings based on the context.

Would just like to know if these make sense its taken me about half an hour to write all this out lol so I hope some it is at least right. With regards to things like は、が、 の、 と、 も、 か、 よ and へ I think I'm on a good understanding with them because theyre all relatively simple in comparison to the above (in my opinion anyway). Be nice >_>

Last edited:
I'll do my best to address your queries, although shortly someone who is better qualified than myself will surely come along.
Basically I'm redoing my particle notes in a lot more detail with more "advanced" examples now my vocabulary has grown a little bit.

Koso こそ "Emphasising particle" and よ "Exclamation particle"

あれ こそ ピザ が でした よ

Would this make sense? Roughly means "THAT WAS a pizza!" pretty much emphasising that it was good/big/terrible etc. Also would the particle Yo よ at the end add to the emphasis, I read it acts in a similar way to that of a verbal exclamation mark.
こそ does indeed put an emphasis on what precedes it, but I don't know if your usage here works. It seems like you're taking a direct translation of the usage of です, taking こそ as an emphasis for a subtlety in the English language that doesn't quite work in Japanese, at least to my understanding. If you want to use こそ in a sentence like this, I might say あのピザこそおいしかったです, but this translates more to "THAT pizza (of perhaps several pizzas) was delicious."

Kara から "Start point identifer particle"

私 は 日本 から です

I'm from Japan

私 は 三時 から 五時 食べた

I ate from 3 to 5

私 は 車 から です

I came from/came out of a car. Not sure about this one as maybe its asking から to imply to much like "came".
for directional particles, you need a suitable verb that implies direction/motion. 日本からきた。壁の後ろから現れた。 The copula です doesn't really fill in the blanks; you need a suitable verb for the particles you choose.

In your second sentence, you specify a start time marked with から and an end time without a particle. You need the まで particle here.

Kara から with Made まで "Start-and-end combination"

私 は 二時 から 五時 まで 食べた

I ate from 2 to/till/until 5. Heard this combination was used to express the start and end points in travel or time.
Yes, although I might say 2時から5時まで食べていた... I can't quite say why, but 3 hours seems like a long time to be eating, so it seems more natural for me to say "I was eating from 3 to 5" rather than "I ate from 3 to 5." But you could say 2時から5時まで勉強した, so I reckon it's grammatically acceptable.

Ni に "Time/Direction particle"

私 は 日本 に 行きます

I go to Japan.

六時 に サラダ と 魚 を 食べます

(I) eat salad and fish at 6. Wasnt sure about where to put To と presumed as it acts as an "and/with" conjunction it should go between the 2 food items then wo would go after the last food item to show what the verb is acting on, also the conjuction kinda implies they are both connected to what the verb is acting on anyway right?
yes, though both of these sentences imply a future tense, like "I will go to Japan" and "I will eat at 6." You're right about と, it's like "and," and can be used to group together multiple objects that are receiving the same action. So you couldn't, for instance, say 魚とビールを食べます, since they take different verbs. You would have to use two clauses and link them with the ~て form, such as 魚を食べてビールを飲みます

ともだち に 私 は 行きます

I go to my friend.
your friend is not a destination. You can go to your friend's house: 友達の家(Or ところ)に行きます, but you can't just go to your friend.

明日 に ともだち が 行きます

(I) go to my friend tomorrow.
A
Again, your friend is not a destination, and actually in this sentence, it seems more like you're saying that your friend is the one going.

When talking about time, に is used when you're talking about a specific date or time, but when you're using a relative date or time, you drop the particle altogether. 明日、今夜、先週末、来月、今年 etc all are relative to "now," and do not need the に particle.

明日 に 十時ごぜん に ともだち が 行きます

I go to my friend tomorrow at 10am. Wasnt sure if this one made sense I felt "tomorrow" needed a Ni に but also thought the time needed one too because it needed to convey the "at" feeling. Can sentences have 2 に particles?

Same as I said before, drop に from the relative date and keep it in the specific one. 明日、午前十時に(友達の家に行きます)

De で "Context particle"

はしで 食べます
(I) Eat with/using chopsticks

三時ごご で 食べます
Eat by 3pm

日本語 で 話す
Speak in Japanese

私 は 車 で 行きます
I go by car

Found で quite hard to understand. By, By way of, With, Using and In - All seem to be possible near literal meanings based on the context.
yes, but your use of で here is fine. It's a versatile particle, and it's probably easier to practice it in its various uses individually, instead of trying to lump them all together.

Would just like to know if these make sense its taken me about half an hour to write all this out lol so I hope some it is at least right. With regards to things like は、が、 の、 と、 も、 か、 よ and へ I think I'm on a good understanding with them because theyre all relatively simple in comparison to the above (in my opinion anyway). Be nice >_>

Apologies not sure how multi-quote works...

Koso - I see what you're saying. I actually got the example
elsewhere just changed the food item and demonstrative
marker in order to manipulate it better for memory. Your
example does make more sense.

Kara - Yeah I guess a copula is a little insufficient there.
With regards to missing out Made I didnt mean to as I
was bringing it up on the next particle query so knew
about it just missed it out I guess -_-

Kara + Made - Yes 3 hours seems like a long time admitidly but
does make grammatical sense, I wasnt to worried about
the sensibility lol. But yeah it sounds weird given the
abnormal time frame I agree. I think I have this combo
more or less sorted in understanding now.

Ni - Yeah fish and salad odd combo.. Again its my limited
vocabulary of food items. The example youve given is
fish and beer joined with the TO particle being incorrect
because its obviously eat and drink different verbs I understand
cheers.
Friend isnt a destination. I see what you mean it was quite weak
even in English. It was more for the sake of having more examples on
paper really but I see why its wrong.

More in a bit just shooting out sorry, appreciated the feedback much!

Back
Top Bottom