What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

COVID-19 Coronavirus: global situation

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
While things are looking quite promising in Japan, some European countries see new record numbers in infections. As of today, Austria imposed a strict lockdown on all unvaccinated people. Currently, about 65% of the population are fully vaccinated. Given the skyrocketing numbers of new infections and Covid-related fatalities, unvaccinated are banned from leaving their homes except for essential activities such as working, grocery shopping, going for a walk or getting vaccinated. The government's aim is twofold: reducing the mounting strain on the health system and encouraging vaccine-sceptics to get their jab finally. In the days leading up to the lockdown, people were queuing up nationwide for their shots.

I am so glad that Japan isn't prone to conspiracy theories, anti-science ideology, and profound misconceptions of personal freedom.

mdchachi

Reaction score
While things are looking quite promising in Japan, some European countries see new record numbers in infections. As of today, Austria imposed a strict lockdown on all unvaccinated people. Currently, about 65% of the population are fully vaccinated. Given the skyrocketing numbers of new infections and Covid-related fatalities, unvaccinated are banned from leaving their homes except for essential activities such as working, grocery shopping, going for a walk or getting vaccinated. The government's aim is twofold: reducing the mounting strain on the health system and encouraging vaccine-sceptics to get their jab finally. In the days leading up to the lockdown, people were queuing up nationwide for their shots.

I am so glad that Japan isn't prone to conspiracy theories, anti-science ideology, and profound misconceptions of personal freedom.
The behavior of this virus is really quite perplexing. The story of what happened and why in each country or state will be the topic of research for decades to come. I have to wonder if there is some human genetic component. Japan really seemed ripe for it to be a lot worse than it became given the elderly population and high population density. Seems difficult to explain away with just mask use alone. And so far I there hasn't been a huge wave of deaths compared to the normal rates, right?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Seems difficult to explain away with just mask use alone. And so far I there hasn't been a huge wave of deaths compared to the normal rates, right?

That's correct. Although according to this study, the actual number of total infections in Japan is likely four times higher than reported. It's probably a combination of factors: masks, social distancing (less physical contact due to cultural and social circumstances), the religious usage of hand sanitisers, very little scepticism towards science and medicine, etc.

Japan could see a vaccination rate of 80% by the end of this year.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Maine cases are hard to understand. The state bragged we were over 80% vaccinated and down to around 100 or less cases a day. We also heard little about children being infected. Now this month , we are having around 700 or more cases a day and kids are also getting hit with it really bad , closing down several schools. It makes me question how effective the vaccines are. I wish they would tell us how many of the infected have had their shots , but they don't mention that.

200.gif

mdchachi

Reaction score
Maine cases are hard to understand. The state bragged we were over 80% vaccinated and down to around 100 or less cases a day. We also heard little about children being infected. Now this month , we are having around 700 or more cases a day and kids are also getting hit with it really bad , closing down several schools. It makes me question how effective the vaccines are. I wish they would tell us how many of the infected have had their shots , but they don't mention that.
A lot of people are using these trends to promote vaccine conspiracy theories, saying that the vaccine itself causes Covid or makes it spread even worse. However I've observed that after getting vaccinated that people let down their guard. They start gathering, start going maskless, acting like the danger is over and the parties can begin.

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
After a while that the virus was supposed to go away due to vaccination, it came back again!

Apparently it is not giving up the societies! This little beast has become the biggest problem after other odd events that some are natural, and some are because of the supremacy dream of some wrong groups.

I heard in the news that corona disease went back to Europe in recent days, though I just read the titles of the news on TV.

Jhopesstrawberry

𝒜𝒾𝓃𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝒶 𝒷𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒶𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝒶 𝒷𝓇𝑒𝑒𝒹😜
Reaction score
A lot of people are using these trends to promote vaccine conspiracy theories, saying that the vaccine itself causes Covid or makes it spread even worse. However I've observed that after getting vaccinated that people let down their guard. They start gathering, start going maskless, acting like the danger is over and the parties can begin.
Right! And they just lifted the mask mandate in alot of places in America and that makes me a little worried too but so far we are doing good but I wouldn't be surprised if covid spikes up again

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
I don't follow the news of covid-19 much, neither in Iran nor in other lands, because this makes me sad and I wouldn't like to get depression. As far as I know, Iran has had some peaks of the disease during these two years ( I think five peaks).
At the peak of the disease, the number of infected people and casualties was high. I don't remember the number of infected people but sadly the casualty was about 500~ 600 dead (before vaccination). After vaccination, the number of fatalities decreased considerably. These days, I don't know how many people are infected and how many lose their souls, because I don't listen to such internal news much.

Nevertheless, I know, we haven't here something like "the virus is back". In comparison with the past, the situation is really so much better, though the casualties continue in a lower number.

Vaccination was not useless. it prevented many deaths. though some people who are vaccinated may be infected with the virus, but usually the symptoms of covid in such persons is not serious to lead to hospitalization and death.

Last edited:

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
South African scientists have discovered a new virus variant amid a new spike. The UK has banned travel from SA and five other African nations. It is still unclear what public health impact the new variant will have.

"Over the last four or five days, there has been more of an exponential rise," he said, adding that the new variant appears to be driving the spike in cases. Scientists in South Africa are working to determine what percentage of the new cases have been caused by the new variant. Currently identified as B.1.1.529, the new variant has also been found in Botswana and Hong Kong in travelers from South Africa, he said. The World Health Organization's technical working group is to meet Friday to assess the new variant and may decide whether or not to give it a name from the Greek alphabet. The British government announced that it was banning flights from South Africa and five other southern African countries effective at noon (1200GMT) on Friday, and that anyone who had recently arrived from those countries would be asked to take a coronavirus test.

new-variant.jpg

Mansoor

Sempai
Reaction score
We have a proverb ( a short rhythmic poem) that says :

هر دم از این باغ بری می رسد
تازه تر از تازه تری می رسد

Every moment a new fruit reach us from this garden
A newer one than the new one comes in!

We have not gotten rid of the older virus while the new brothers of the virus are born! LOL

Top Bottom