What's new

Cooking Lessons?

Namioto

後輩
23 Aug 2006
hey everyone,

I've been in Japan for about a year now, and one of my most valued relationships is one that I've made with the owners of a decent sized izakaya near where I live. I used to go eat there a lot due to convenience and also because the food is just delicious. Anyway, eventually I made friends with them and expressed my interest in cooking. The chef offered to teach me some washoku and I never looked back. Now I go into the restaurant to cook about three times a week and it's been a great experience. I don't get paid, but basically I get three things from them: 1. Professional Japanese cooking instruction. 2. Mandatory Japanese language practice. 3. Dinner on the house.

How sweet is that?

Now, I've heard that this is a common thing among foreigners. I've met a couple people with similar relationships and I was wondering if anyone on these forums has the same.
I'd like to hear a little bit about your experience.

窶堙ヲ窶堙ォ窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堋ィ窶堙銀?堋ェ窶堋「窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋キツ!🙂

Hey Namioto!
What a great experience you are having in Japan! You must be getting so much out of it. Can't beat "Dinner on the house"!
The thing I love about izakaya is that even though it's so cheap to eat and drink as much as you can, food is good.

I worked at a few restaurants like tempura, yakitori, unagi places and learned so much just from watching the chefs cook.

Hey, you can post some of the recipes you are learning.🙂

Wow, cool experiance. At least the Asian food store in my town has cool owners and tells us how to cook things properly and gives us good advise.

Back
Top Bottom