What's new

Conversation practice

Zuba

Sempai
16 Aug 2016
Hello, all.

I wanted to make a thread were I can just post my attempts at making dialogues and such without cluttering up my grammar thread. I want to seclude that thread to questions about the grammar I am studying. The main purpose here is to improve the flow and "naturalness" of my dialogues. I feel that even though I may know how to use a piece of grammar it is one thing to use them in a single sentence as opposed to using them in a fully dialogue.

The following conversation is between two siblings in the morning.

(台所で)(午前五時)

Aおはよう。Morning

Bおはよう。Morning

A今日仕事に行かなくちゃけないの。Do you have to go to work today?

Bはい。昨日資料を直さなかったから、今日忙しいだろう。授業があるの。Yes. Yesterday I did not fix my paperwork so I will be busy today. Do you have class today?

Aいいえ。先生にとると、車が壊れていて、用事があるそうだから、授業がないんだ。図書館で勉強しようと思う。No. I heard the teacher say his car is broken and he has things to do so there is not class. I plan to study at the library.

Bなるほど。ちゃんと勉強できるといいね。頑張って。I see. I hope you can study properly. Do your best.

Aありがとう。何時に仕事に行くの。Thank you. What time do you leave for work?

B七時。どうして。Seven. Why?

A朝ごはんを作ってあげるんだ。I will make you breakfast.

B作らないで。作るのがじょうずじゃないけど。Do not make it. Your cooking is not good.

A確かに。True.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

A: おはよう。

B: おはよう。

A: 今日は仕事?

B: うん。昨日の書類の手直ししなきゃいけないから、忙しいと思う。授業は?

A: 先生の車が壊れて用事もあるから、休講だって。図書館で勉強する。

B: そうなんだ。

A: 何時に出る?

B: 七時だけど、なんで?

A: 朝ごはん作ってあげようかと思って。

B: やめてよ。うまくもないのに。

A: まあ、そうだけどね。

This is basically a conversation in a drama/novel. It's more colloquial/slangy and often just words (e.g. just 休講 without any reason) in real conversations between brothers/sisters.

どうもありがとうございます。

Thank you.

I see what you are saying. Often the particles and unnecessary pieces of grammar are simply removed to get right to the point.
I am at least glad to see that I did not make any grammar mistakes.

With that said here is another conversation.

The conversation is between two men that are room-mates.

(Aさんの部屋の中で)

Aどうも。何してる?何か書いてるの?

Bええ。昨日忙しすぎたから、日記を書かなかったんだ。毎日日記を書きたいんだ。

Aじゃ、昨日何で忙しすぎたの?

B仕事が混んでいたから、速く帰れなかった。

A大変だな。六時に出たそうだ。

Bそうだ。

Aじゃ、面白そうな小説を借りってもいい?

Bどうぞ。とてもいい。

Aありがとう。

Bじゃ、また。

Aじゃ、また。

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

A: 何書いてるの?

B: 昨日忙しくて日記が書けなかったんだ。毎日書くつもりだから。

A: 何でそんなに忙しかったの?

B: 仕事がいっぱいで、早く帰れなかったんだよ。

A: 大変だね。六時に出たそうだ。(Do you mean A left his office at 6:00 pm?)

B: うん、そう。

A: この本借りてもいい?

B: いいよ。

どうもありがとうございます。

Thank you. Making these conversations and reading yours is really helping me understand how the grammar fits into a complete conversation. :)

I did mean A left his office at 6.

Then that line should be 6時に出たそうじゃない/らしいじゃない. 6:00 PM is not "late" at all in Japan, though.

どうもありがとうございます。

This conversation is between two strangers.

(本屋の前で)

A すみません。この辺が知っていますか。

B はい。

A じゃ、この本屋を見つけられませんが。手伝っていただけませんか。I think I 道を教えていただけませんか may be better here.

B もちろん。本屋の名前は。

A 山のすごい本屋です。

B ここから、あの薬局前に右に曲がって。

A すみません、赤い看板がある建物は薬局ですか。

B はい。前に右にまがって、最初の交差点に左に曲がって、反対側があります。

A どうもありがとうございます。

B とんでもないです。

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

A すみません。山のすごい本屋という本屋さんを探してるんですが。

B えーと、あの薬局の前を右に曲がって、

A あの赤い看板の建物ですか。

B ええ。その前を右に曲がって、最初の交差点を左に曲がると、(What do you mean by 反対側?)

A どうもありがとうございます。

B いえいえ。どういたしまして。

おはようございます。元気ですか。私は元気です。

Hello, all. I bring a conversation between two co-workers. They are both friends, but B is A's superior. This takes place at a restaurant. A has just arrived to work. They are both male.

(台所で)

A おはよう。

B おはよう。

A 今混んでいるの。

B いええ。そして、今日予約がないんだ。

A ナンシさんによると、床を掃除する。とても汚いそうだ。

B はい。キムと床を掃除してください。でも、掃除する前に、マギーさんに話しに行ってください。

A はい。

And about the last conversation I meant the opposite side of the street.

よろしくお願いします。

B is A's superior
Hmm, doesn't seem like so.

And about the last conversation I meant the opposite side of the street.
"The opposite side of the street after turning to the left" doesn't make sense to me, or at least is ambiguous. That's why I asked. Do you mean "Turn to the left at the first corner, then you can see it on the right side of the street"? If so, I would say その前を右に曲がって、最初の交差点を左に曲がると、右手に見えてきます.

おはようございます。

The idea for B being A's superior is that B is in fact the superior, but they are good friends and hang out outside of work. I am not aware of the complexities of politeness in this situation.

Thanks your for explaining the issue with the opposite side of the street. Sometimes I focus too much on making sure the grammar is correct and the conversation is at a minimum plausible that I often do not bother to note if what I am writing truly makes sense. I will watch out for this in the future.

Mike, I am not sure where I would put 打ち合わせ. Would it be in reference to saying there are advanced arraignments to clean the floor? Or about the reservations?

Also I realize that asking this is rather pointless, but is all the grammar correct? And does it at least sound ok?

よろしくお願いします。

でも、掃除する前に、マギーさんに話しに行ってください。

Mike, I am not sure where I would put 打ち合わせ. Would it be in reference to saying there are advanced arraignments to clean the floor?

Unless you meant for the person to just go have a chat, it could only apply to the floor cleaning.

("arrangements" not "arraignments", lets leave the courts out of this).

台所 is for home kitchen. 厨房 is used for the one in restaurant.

A おはようございます。
B おはよう。
A 今、混んでます?
B いや。今日は予約も入ってないしね。
A ナンシさんによると、床を掃除する。とても汚いそうだ。
(Do you mean Nancy asked A to clean up the floor?)

こんばんは。

I meant that Nancy sent out a blanket task that all employees should clean if they are not busy.

よろしくお願います。

I see.
A ナンシーさんが床を掃除してって。すごく汚れてるから。
B じゃあ、キムさんとやっといて。あ、マギーさんに話してからね。
A わかりました。

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。おかげさまで、私は元気です。

Hello! I return with my conversations that are more than likely awkward sounding. :D This conversation is between a waiter and two customers. I know that the customer would be speaking in informal Japanese, but I just want to see if the grammar is right. I know that this conversation is already not going to sound natural, at least for the customer's lines. All the individuals are male in this conversation.

(料理店で) At a restaurant.

(給仕)いっらしゃいませ。何名様ですか。Hello, how many guests will it be?

A 二人です。Two

(給仕)こちら、どうぞ。This way.

(給仕)飲み物は?Your drink's?

A 水です。Water.

B どんなコーラがありますか。What kind of soft drinks do you have?

(給仕)スプライトとミスタープブとペプシコーラがあります。Sprite, Mr. Pibb, and Pepsi. I have no idea of this are right at all. :confused:

B スプライトを飲みます。Sprite please.

(給仕)わかりました。I understand.

(給仕戻りました。) The waiter returns.

(給仕)ご注文は。 Your order?

A 友達によると、このカレーは美味しそうだから、カレーお願いします。My friend said the curry is delicious so I will order that please.

B じゃ、おすすめは何ですか。Hm, what do you recommended?

(給仕) 私の一番好きな食べ物は焼きうどんです。美味しいです。ちょっと辛くてちょっと甘いです。My favorite thing is yakiudon. It is delicious. It is a little spicy and a little sweet.

B 美味しそうです。それお願いします。That sounds good. I will take that please.

(給仕)わかりました。I understand.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

Your drink's?

Why the apostrophe?

友達によると、このカレーは美味しそうだから、カレーお願いします。My friend said the curry is delicious so I will order that please.

In the Japanese version, the friend said the curry looks delicious....he didn't actually eat it.

If you meant the curry at that restaurant, ここのカレー

If you meant one particular curry out of several curries on the menu and the speaker is pointing at it, このカレー

There are other errors and unnatural phrasings, but when it comes to correcting for being natural sounding and there is a native speaker available, I prefer to leave those to the native speaker.

(給仕)こちら、どうぞ。This way.
こちらへどうぞ。/こちらにどうぞ。/こちらです。

(給仕)飲み物は?Your drink's?
お飲み物は(何にいたしましょう)?

A 水です。Water.
水(を)ください。
(Note that water is usually served without order.)

B どんなコーラがありますか。What kind of soft drinks do you have?
ジュースは何がありますか。
コーラ is cola, not soft drink.

(給仕)スプライトとミスタープブとペプシコーラがあります。Sprite, Mr. Pibb, and Pepsi.
Mr. Pibb is not available in Japan.

B スプライトを飲みます。Sprite please.
スプライト(を)ください。

(給仕)わかりました。I understand.
かしこまりました。

(給仕)ご注文は。 Your order?
ご注文はお決まりでしょうか。

B じゃ、おすすめは何ですか。Hm, what do you recommended?
おすすめはありますか。

(給仕) 私の一番好きな食べ物は焼きうどんです。美味しいです。ちょっと辛くてちょっと甘いです。My favorite thing is yakiudon. It is delicious. It is a little spicy and a little sweet.
焼きうどんがおすすめです。少し甘辛い味付けになっております。

B 美味しそうです。それお願いします。That sounds good. I will take that please.
じゃあ、それください。

(給仕)わかりました。I understand.
かしこまりました。

Why the apostrophe?

Just a typo.

In the Japanese version, the friend said the curry looks delicious....he didn't actually eat it.

If you meant the curry at that restaurant, ここのカレー

Yes, I meant to say the friend said the curry there looked delicious and that he did not eat it. I really need to pay attention to my translating. I know what I wrote in my head, but I start making minor alteration as I translate and then the meaning changes because of it. I will work on this bad habit, Mike. :sorry:

こちらへどうぞ。/こちらにどうぞ。/こちらです

Ok, for these I just need the へ or に to indicate the direction or the です to make it politer. Is the way I said it too informal?

お飲み物は(何にいたしましょう)?

Ok I see I need the honorific お, but what is 何にいたしましょう?

ジュース

I did not know ジュース covered juice and sodas. That is really interesting.

Mr. Pibb is not available in Japan.

Is Dr. Pepper?

ご注文はお決まりでしょうか。

For this the でしょうか is just a way to soften asking a question, right? It is asking if they decided with the nuance that they probably have and is polite, right?

おすすめはありますか。

Why は and not が?

付けになっております。

I am not familiar with this grammar, but what are the individual words?

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

I meant to say the friend said the curry there looked delicious and that he did not eat it.
So, what is "my friend said the curry here looked delicious (and that he did not eat it)"? Your translation doesn't mean so, either.

Ok, for these I just need the へ or に to indicate the direction or the です to make it politer. Is the way I said it too informal?
It's more likely awkward. Unlike を or が, most particles are not always able to be omitted.

what is 何にいたしましょう?
An honorific form of 何にする?/何にしますか?

Is Dr. Pepper?
Available, but not common at all.

For this the でしょうか is just a way to soften asking a question, right?
Yes.

It is asking if they decided with the nuance that they probably have and is polite, right?
It's totally depends on the situation.

Why は and not が?
おすすめ is a new topic. Also, おすすめがありますか is more likely asking if they can provide the specific recommended dish they both already know.

I am not familiar with this grammar, but what are the individual words?
味付け means seasoning/flavor.
になっております is a very polite way of saying です, often used in business scenes.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。おかげさまで、私は元気です。

So, what is "my friend said the curry here looked delicious (and that he did not eat it)"? Your translation doesn't mean so, either.

I am going to rework this sentence, because I keep messing it up.

ニュースによると、ここのカレーは美味しそうだから、それください。Because I heard from the news this place's curry is delicious I will take that.

It's more likely awkward. Unlike を or が, most particles are not always able to be omitted

Oh so を and が can be omitted but not the other particles. That makes sense way my sentence was wrong.

An honorific form of 何にする?/何にしますか?

I have seen only a little of this structure, but I will take note.

おすすめ is a new topic. Also, おすすめがありますか is more likely asking if they can provide the specific recommended dish they both already know.

I see! は is used to bring up a new topic; one that the customer and the waiter would not have the same information.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

You aren't distinguishing between 美味しそうです and 美味しいそうです

Back
Top Bottom