What's new

Consciousness of Discrimination in Japan Survey

Biancat

Registered
13 Jun 2017
Hey pals!

I am a student at Kyoto University, and I am conducting a survey on the consciousness of (racial) discrimination in Japan for my research.
This survey is targeted towards foreigners who have lived/currently living in Japan. The survey is written in both Japanese and English.

It should only take around 10 minutes, so please if you have a moment or so, it would really help out a lot 🙂:.
And feel free to share with people you know who live/have lived in Japan 🙂:

Thank you so much, pals!

日本における差別に対する意識に関するアンケート/Consciousness of Discrimination in Japan Questionnaire

Take a look at question II-2. The Japanese text doesn't match the English one. The "if"-condition is untranslated which changes the meaning of the phrase.

Also in II-2 and II-3 you suddenly seem to (have your participants) distinguish between racism and other forms of discrimination but at the beginning of the questionnaire you use the terms interchangeably (and you do it again in II-6). I find this misleading.

Another remark concerns the question about one's gender. Are you not discriminating against minorities by offering only two options?

I have just taken your survey. Under I-1 where you are asking about situations in which "you feel you have experienced racism" there is no option for "none experienced so far".

I have just taken your survey. Under I-1 where you are asking about situations in which "you feel you have experienced racism" there is no option for "none experienced so far".

Thank you so much.
Ah yes, as for I-1, that section is modelled after a survey taken here in Japan in 2009. I did this so I am able to compare and analyze the old data with the data I also collect. That option is not present because it's a checkbox type question, in which, if none of those situations apply to you, it's okay to not check any. However I just noticed, it is not possible to proceed if you check nothing, so I have changed that.
That was my mistake, I apologize for that. Thank you again for participating in the survey!

Dear Biancat

I started the survey but I stopped because I did not feel that a 3 option likert questionnaire allowed to properly respond.

Though personally, I do not mind helping with research, a better disclosure of how the information would be used, and the right to withdrawn consent at any time should be included for informed consent of participants. That is not the reason I stopped, but if you wish to publish your results, you may need want to clarify what participants are agreeing to an offering them the right to withdrawn that consent at any time.

Best regards

Dear Biancat

I started the survey but I stopped because I did not feel that a 3 option likert questionnaire allowed to properly respond.

Though personally, I do not mind helping with research, a better disclosure of how the information would be used, and the right to withdrawn consent at any time should be included for informed consent of participants. That is not the reason I stopped, but if you wish to publish your results, you may need want to clarify what participants are agreeing to an offering them the right to withdrawn that consent at any time.

Best regards

I apologize for that.
At the very top of the survey, I wrote an explanation of the nature of my research, but perhaps it wasn't clear enough?
As for the likert options, I did include a "neutral" option, but my professor had advised me that it would be difficult to analyze the data that way so I did it on a scale without that option.
Also in terms of consent, I included a disclosure: "By responding to the questionnaire and submitting your answers, this will be considered as agreeing to cooperate with this research."
If the form is unfinished in the middle, the results do not go through and those answers are not included in my data.
Does this clear things up a little for you?
You don't have to finish the survey, I just want you to know your results won't be added in the data as the form was not submitted.

Hi Biancat.

Privacy
I do not have a problem with the privacy issue, so please don't worry about that. My comment was directed towards publishing and without a more clear description of what is being consented to, you may have a problem getting your data published in a journal.

The reason that I di not finish the questionnaire is not because of privacy but because if the forced choice. While I can understand why you do not want a neutral response (a common stance in likert surveys), the choices you offer would not allow me to respond fairly.

I think that anywhere you'll run into a problem with prejudice so the never choice is very unlikely. The next choice sometimes to my mind implies a much higher frequency of prejudice occurring and would not be representative of my experience in japan. While of course this is an ordinal scale, the remaining 2 choices, were to my mind not accurate representations for my experiences.

I hope that clarifies any misunderstanding that my previous post me of caused.

Best regards

Back
Top Bottom