What's new

Conditional for Dummies?

SacredBlue

先輩
13 Oct 2003
All of the conditional forms are getting me down, and I have alot of questions to ask and hope a 上手な先生 will answer them :)

Ok let's see..First off..-ba and -kereba..Is it correct that these are mainly used in the written style/polite spoken Japanese? With -ba and -tara I'm having a hard time knowing when to distguinish 'if' and 'when'. Examples:

安くなければおしゃれじゃない。
If it's not cheap it's not fashionable.

会えばはなしがはずむ。
When they meet, their conversation is lively.

How am I supposed to tell if these mean 'if' or 'when'? Because they would still both make sense if they were inversed, but the meanings could be drastically different. I have the same problem with -tara

1.)大きくなったら、絵かきさんになりたい。
When I grow up, I want to be a painter.

2.)この機会を逃したら、永遠にチャンスは来ないのではないか。
If we miss this opportunity, we'll never get another chance!

How can I tell sentence #2 doesn't mean 'when' opposed to 'if'?

If someone just wants to give me a website with the run through on when and why to use things like -ba, nara, -tara, -te mo, to, -kereba, -kerya etc. I'd be eternally grateful. Also, which ones are most commonly used in the spoken language? Because right now my main focus is on speaking/listening.

教えてください :)

uhh not that i know japanese or anything but i would say use your english to help you out. which sounds better to you in english is most likely the right one.
it seems to me that if you use it as "if" then the rest of the sentance should be in future tense "if they meet, their conversation will be lively" another thing is when you use "when" then it sounds like you already know the outcome rather than it being a variable "when we miss this opportunity..."
basicly all context i suppose, but then again i dont know japanese...

Yeah, it's true these may not be the best examples since you don't often think in terms of "If they meet, something always happens" or "When I miss this opportunity." But there are some real subtleties as well especially with "tara" and rules (of thumb) that dictate differences with "toki" "te" for "when" and "nara" for "if," for instance.

このページはすごいし便利ですよ! 難しいんだと思いますけど、頑張ります!

ありがとうございました :)

暇さえあれば、勉強しなくてはならないね。(Even if you have free time....) だってすべてを知りたいですか?:)

だってすべてを知りたいですか
もちろん。:) でも、多くの時間はかかるでしょう。 イリサベスはどのようにそれを学習しましたか。

Originally posted by SacredBlue
もちろん。:) でも、多くの時間はかかるでしょう。 イリサベスはどのようにそれを学習しましたか。

今、私にとって聞き取りが最も苦手なのだと思います。それで、Tutor-さんのテープや日本のテープ、ビデオを聞いたりして勉強してみます。私にとって日本語を勉強するのに一番役に立つのは聞き取りです。(又は、聞き取りは日本語の勉強方法のなかで最も役に立ちます。) 大変ですが、挑戦してみるのは大切なことですよ。

始めは、ぜんぜんわからなかったけれど教科書で勉強したり、日本人と話したり、メールを書いたりしているから、ちょっとわかるようになりました。;)

SacredBlueさんは、毎日どのように勉強していますか

SacredBlueさんは、毎日どのように勉強していますか
僕は驚きます!今、僕も日本人と話して、メールも書いてる:)。 あいにく、あまり日本語を話せないよ。:( 僕はこれを非常に心配します。ぼくは日本の教師と勉強をしていますけど、日本のテレビか会話をわかりませんなぁ。どうしたかな!:mad:
12月にぼくの日本語は下手だったら、必ず日本語能力試験を失敗しますね。だから、毎日日本語を勉強していますよ。頑張ります!

私も十二月の八日、シカゴで JLPT級2を受けろつもりです。
日本へ戻るとき大きな本屋で教材を探します。
勉強にも目標があるとやりがいも出てくるのではないでしょうか?Sacred Blueさんを出来るだけお手伝いしたいと思っています。
でも常用漢字を全部覚えさせられるのが大変ですね。
気軽に読める小説とかの方が日常的に使われている日本語の勉強になると思います。漢字の本は興味があって読めるならいいですね。単に暗記するのはたいくつですものね。

がんばってね!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom