What's new

Computing in Japan

Dogen Z

aka YOSUQUE
23 Apr 2007
This is just idle curiousity but what OS do you use and what is your desktop wallpaper?

I'm using Vista basic and this is my wallpaper. It's a Tokyo nightscape. Doesn't it remind you of the opening scene of Bladerunner? All it needs is fire and smoke belching from the top of buildings.

1603-1.jpg

Ramen vendor to Harrison Ford: "He say you bradelunner." 😊

I use Vista Ultimate....I know, I know, no one likes vista but I have not had any issues with it. I have a computer repair business and found that people that say they don't like vista say that because of what other people have said that don't know much about pc's or software anyway. Dogen Z, that is a very cool pic indeed...looks nice

Country trends

I was wondering if any trends would show up by country. Since Japan used to be a big Apple country, I thought Mac OSX might have a lot of supporters now. And Japanese always like the latest developments, so Vista might be favored over XP. However, my company uses XP and has no intention of changing under current economic conditions. (I use XP at work, but Vista at home.) Any linux users? You'd have to be an engineer to use that, I think.
So now we have:

Japan- 2 XP, 1 Vista
U.S.- 1 Vista

The wallpaper shown above can be easily found by google (tokyo nightscape), and here's another tokyo wallpaper scene that you might like:

picture.php

You can download it from this site:

http://architecture.desktopnexus.com/get/37377

Ubuntu Linux here. No need to be an engineer at all. They say that, given enough seeds on the enter-key, even a chicken can install Ubuntu nowadays :)

The language can be chosen on the login-screen, so we use whatever is convenient at any given time (like depending on who sits beside us).

At home I use Windows XP, Japanese edition (it came on the Everex computer I bought at Yamada Denki).

The wallpaper I use . . . at home? Good question! I have completely forgotten! My wallpaper at work, however, is the same as my avatar. I mean, hey, who can't adore Domo-kun?

Ubunto sounds interesting...but I've grown attached to Vista, it came with my computer. Vista is okay as long as it includes service pack 1 and you have enough hardware to run it. Looking forward to Windows 7, final version, and am intrigued about the forthcoming Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

I've seen that domo-kun image before but I'm sorry to say I don't know who or what it is. 😌

Okay, so now have

Japan: 2 xp, 1 vista, 1 ubunto
U.S.: 1 xp, 1 vista

I've seen that domo-kun image before but I'm sorry to say I don't know who or what it is. 😌
Okay, so now have
Japan: 2 xp, 1 vista, 1 ubunto
U.S.: 1 xp, 1 vista

Domo-kun is one of the mascots for NHK, the government owned radio and TV broadcaster in Japan. He started out as a mascot for NHK Radio 2, but has since become a mascot for NHK in general.

If I can get my computer to stop having fits, I will try and provide some links later.

Windows 7 beta

For those using Windows 7 beta, there's a great seasonal wallpaper that you can download from the microsoft website: 👍

handwritten kanji recognition on Windows 7

I just discovered this, but I don't have a touchpad to try it out yet.

Handwriting recognition—new additions

Handwriting recognition takes a big step in Windows 7. Beginning with greater accuracy and speed, Windows 7 improves pen input in several ways. You can write math expressions, create personalized custom dictionaries for handwriting recognition, and use the new languages supported in Windows 7.

migihwr2-1.jpg

👍 I need to get a touchpad for my desktop right away! Don't have a Nintendo, you see, and I've been looking at the Sharp and Casio e-dictionaries. But the ones I want cost about 40,000 yen or more!

I always try to convience myself with vista but I just failed
I am using windows XP, and looking forward to see how the new windows will be

My wallpaper.....ummm I am accessing the forum now from my iPod touch, will post it later

Do we have anyone here using Mac?

Back to Shibuya

Now that summer's over, I've ditched my beach desktop wallpaper and have gone back to the Shibya scene shown below.

http://architecture.desktopnexus.com/get/37377

Fall is definitely here with some trees already losing their green coloring. And an even surer sign of autumn, I saw at least two girls wearing knee high boots! ☝

Maybe you can spot more fall fashions using this site, featuring a webcam at the Shibuya intersection:

http://www.sibch.tv/share/contents/livecamera/ekimae.html

Last edited:
using a mac running osx tiger, soon to be snow leopard (mainly because I think it sounds awesome) and my background is
h*t*t*p*://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/403281132_bab171fbac_o.jpg I also dual boot with windows xp but I only use it for programming because I can't stand the way track pads are so crappy with windows.

Dell - Where is your PC Company Located?

I am looking for a computer repair company in Sapporo-shi to contract with.

Dell is located in Texas, which he's complained about because it's too far to see a live Utada concert. 😊 So he probably can't help you. You'll probably need to improve your Japanese as quickly as possible to find help. Good luck!

Thanks Dogen! lol. I am good with other languages just not Japanese.
So no wonder his name is Dell if he lives in TX. Would assume he works for Dell as well. ;) Maybe in Austin! Well thanks for the suggestion to learn the language, however I was able to hit up some friends in Toyko to help out, I am all set.

The Next Big Thing

Well, the next big thing is not slated to come from Japan. As usual, its coming from Cupertino, California. It'll be the iSlate, Apple's new tablet computer. Will it be a game changer like the iPhone? The market seems to think so.

Last year, I saw a marvelous prototype keitai at KDDI Studio that looked a tablet. Both sides of the clamshell phone was a screen. I wonder if the iSlate will be like that? We'll have to wait til Jan. to see.

Back
Top Bottom