What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Compound Words & Sentences

Tomii515

やった~!
Joined
16 Feb 2006
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
20
I'm starting to learn coumpound words & sentences now, cause i decided to skip adjective for now... How can you tell when you can mkae a compound word...here are 2 i know:

fold + per = fold-paper/ori + kami = origami

blue + sky = blue-sky/ao + sora = aozora

i know that you make the 1st letter in the 2nd word the " thingys form...like

ka = ga
ta = da
sa = za
ha = ba
ba = pa

yeah...

but how do u know when u can make it a compound word?
-------
How do you make a compound sentence?

here, ell me this sentence in japanese, then what it literally means...like this sentence:

I farted, and it smell real good.

Onara shite, sugoku ii nioi deshita.

(fart did, really good smell was)

so when making a compound snetence, the verb in the 1st part before the comma has to be -te form?

like tell me how to say this:

I cried, and ran home.

Is this how?

Naite, ie ni hashirimashita.

(cry [-te form], house [your own house] ni [to] ran.

so to make a compound sentecne its:

(topic) (object) (verb -te form), (topic) (object) (verb).?
 

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Joined
5 Mar 2006
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
78
You know you can make a compound word when that word exists in the dictionary.

Talking about farts doesn't seem to make people want to act helpful.
 

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Moderator
Donor
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
6,010
Reaction score
1,230
JimmySeal said:
Talking about farts doesn't seem to make people want to act helpful.
当たり。

There are much more complicated ways to make compound sentences than simply using the ~te form, but you have the idea for linking two clauses. This form could be seen as a chain of events, you could even string together a long list of verbs in the te form, but it would get monotonous after a while.
 

Tomii515

やった~!
Joined
16 Feb 2006
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
20
JimmySeal said:
You know you can make a compound word when that word exists in the dictionary.
Talking about farts doesn't seem to make people want to act helpful.

it was the only compound sentence i knew.

Tak stupiolque tardeser. Was wheyes avutns doues cind foux racoons¿ Be tos kaoo, non cha dittly, soan arse smelled littew westernou. Tak stupiolque dittly tardeser kankan!
 

Tomii515

やった~!
Joined
16 Feb 2006
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
20
nice gaijin said:
当たり。
There are much more complicated ways to make compound sentences than simply using the ~te form, but you have the idea for linking two clauses. This form could be seen as a chain of events, you could even string together a long list of verbs in the te form, but it would get monotonous after a while.

当たり

why did you say "success" or "right on target" or what ever you were trying to say?
 

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Moderator
Donor
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
6,010
Reaction score
1,230
because I was agreeing with what jimmy said in the quote. atari is like "bullseye," "right on," or "bingo" in that sense.
 
Top Bottom