What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Coming to Tokyo in September

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
I didnt see any fish hugging but there were a few times I wanted to yell at tourists for being in the way. The workers were so patient.
When you say "behind the counters" do you mean the wholesaler's counters/cash register area or the entire wholesalers section?
They were everywhere!!

Why don't they just ban tourists altogether if they are such nuisances? When the market is moved will it still be open to the public?
Because it is still considered a tourist attraction, I guess. Never been there, myself. But when you have clearly marked paths and blatant signs forbidding certain practices (much like cave tours or museums), why are tourists so rude, stupid, and overbearing to break those rules?

Yes, the Japanese merchants that I saw on the TV seemed patient, but perhaps that's just the stoic Japanese you see, or perhaps it was because there were news cameras present, or maybe they just figured no tourist would understand them anyway if they used spoken commands.

People can be so stupid sometimes. I mean, do they even realize that the fish they were fondling were going to be sold to restaurants and sushi bars that very day, so they were basically contaminating them? Geez.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
As I try to be a considerate tourist when I visit attractions such as the fish market, temples, etc, I can't help but balk at people who seem to take pride in their inability to behave themselves. At the same time, I'm on the fence about whether I should point out the sign in 20 languages saying "no photographs" to the guy flashing left and right, because my warnings would do nothing to curb their obnoxious behavior, and just make me look like an anal-retentive killjoy.

ifjames

先輩
Reaction score
I would think easily. I don't think you would spend more than an hour at Tsukiji and very close by Hamarikyu. I believe that Hamarikyu park has an exit that takes you directly to the boat.
Many thanks: will look forward to a fun day in March.

Tanny J

Serpentine Fire
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your continued help! 👍
I have a few more questions :)

1) I saw that travelers checks get better rates than straight money at the exchange counters at Narita. Would you folks recommend exchanging US Dollar travelers checks or the Yen version of those travelers checks? (I didn't realize you could get them in both denominations)

2) How expensive is US common (apples, bananas) fruit in Japan? (my usual breakfast)
(I remember melons being pricey...)

3) Does anything else happen on Shubun no hi (Autumn Equinox on 23rd) other than families visiting graves? And is there anything closed since it's a national holiday?

4) Anyone been to the Fukuro Matsuri in Ikebukuro before?
(Another 23rd-24th of September thang...)

Thanks!
(2 1/2 weeks to go!)

-TJ

maushan3

Back home
Reaction score
2) How expensive is US common (apples, bananas) fruit in Japan? (my usual breakfast)
(I remember melons being pricey...)

Fruit are not as expensive as I thought. I saw a melon on the supermarket at ツ??000ツ something that I would have thought costed like 5x that. Bananas are not so expensive, cannot really recall the price, but something like the same price as you would find it in America.

But the best thing is that Mexican avocados here in Japan are actually cheaper than in Mexico. Something which is still very hard for me to comprehend, but hey, more for me then. I can make more guacamole.

Mauricio

kidtokyo

Tokyo 9/16/07
Reaction score
My trip is almost here! ^O^;

I leave this Sunday! Thanks to everyone here for all the info over the past couple of months. It's been fun planning my trip.... too bad the week in Tokyo is going to fly by like a lightning bolt o_O;; Oh well, I'll just start planning my next trip at that point!

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
My trip is almost here! ^O^;

I leave this Sunday! Thanks to everyone here for all the info over the past couple of months. It's been fun planning my trip.... too bad the week in Tokyo is going to fly by like a lightning bolt o_O;; Oh well, I'll just start planning my next trip at that point!

Have yourself a great time!

kidtokyo

Tokyo 9/16/07
Reaction score
Well, I'm in Tokyo, and loving it! I have been going full blast, getting very little sleep, and trying to see as much as possible! Tomorrow is the shopping day, gonna hit Shibuya, Harajuku, and a few other places.

Theres definitely a lot of foreigners here in Tokyo, wayyyy more than I saw in Korea. In fact, the entire month I was in Korea, I only saw about 7 white people, and I went all over the country. I think all of them were from European countries or Australia. It's nice that Japan draws so many visitors.. but sometimes I wish some of these other countries, such as Korea, could benefit from more international tourism.

Anyways, I'm rockin it hardcore for a few more days, and I'll be recovering for a week. :)

w1ngzer0

Sempai
Reaction score
I hope a week is enough for you. You gotta let me know how your trip turns out. I am thinking maybe a week trip to Japan might recharge me.

Top Bottom